Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #21
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I graduated last night (tonight = good thing i don't go to work till monday)
Old 05-23-2004, 12:38 PM   #22
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Like Vask I finish my degree in a few weeks. My finals start on Monday... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

And then I'm going to another university to continue for another year! I'm a real glutton for punishment. But at least it keeps me out of work...
Good luck on those finals, Barry! I finished all mine last week. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just smooth sailing, now.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:59 AM   #23
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Cheers. One down, going into the second in about half an hour. Should probably be cramming but I really don't think I can get more stuff in my head right now.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 AM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good luck to everyone who's finshing up a degree/diploma and CONGRATS to all who've just done so!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #25
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Cheers. One down, going into the second in about half an hour. Should probably be cramming but I really don't think I can get more stuff in my head right now.
ooooh, I hope they ask the sorts of questions you've been preparing for man! Give 'em what-for! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And all of this talk of PhDs is making me weak in the knees. I'm not ready to be an adult, but I'm certainly ready to say goodbye to study [img]smile.gif[/img] Can't wait to strap on a backpack and go adventurin' (ie: go and teach English in Korea like every other Kiwi Arts graduate )

[ 05-25-2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #26
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

A PhD! Well only 5 more years of college and you'll Be able to get a job at a burger Joint. LOL
Just kidding But if You can, Find a part time job as an apprentice in what ever field your getting your PhD in. Then when you have completed your PhD you won't have to start at the bottom in the mail room some place trying to prove yourself. So start your climb up the ladder in a some company now ,let them know what your doing and what University your attending.
My son is doing just that right now. He is at the end of his 3rd year and works for the city as the Web Master while working on his PhD in computer developement and electronics Engineering. At age 22 he goes to college 18 hrs a week and works 32 hrs a week and bring in over $40,000.00 a year. By the time he finishes College at the University of Virginia He'll be bringing in over $100,000.00 A year and be the head of the department. "He's already been told this, "by the City office President That's the Job he'll have and the salary He'll have" or He can get a Job some place else with 4 years of experiance already behind him.
Anyway Good Luck to All !
Old 05-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #27
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

I'm graduating Gymnasiet next thursday.
Gymnasiet is the swedish version of the last years of highschool i think. Age 15 - 16 to 18 - 19
Old 05-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #28
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
That's good advice, Crimson [img]smile.gif[/img] . My PhD is a combined research-coursework so I'm essentially doing training as well as research at the same time - this time next year I'll have real clients who I'll have to give therapy too!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #29
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
A PhD! Well only 5 more years of college and you'll Be able to get a job at a burger Joint. LOL
Just kidding But if You can, Find a part time job as an apprentice in what ever field your getting your PhD in. Then when you have completed your PhD you won't have to start at the bottom in the mail room some place trying to prove yourself. So start your climb up the ladder in a some company now ,let them know what your doing and what University your attending.
My son is doing just that right now. He is at the end of his 3rd year and works for the city as the Web Master while working on his PhD in computer developement and electronics Engineering. At age 22 he goes to college 18 hrs a week and works 32 hrs a week and bring in over $40,000.00 a year. By the time he finishes College at the University of Virginia He'll be bringing in over $100,000.00 A year and be the head of the department. "He's already been told this, "by the City office President That's the Job he'll have and the salary He'll have" or He can get a Job some place else with 4 years of experiance already behind him.
Anyway Good Luck to All !
Apprentice?? What are you on about? It's not a PhD in carpentry or construction You never start at the bottom in any mail room - not in my area anyway. I've already worked as a student in the summer at a communications company and started straight away on one of their programming projects - didn't even have a degree. If you do a PhD, you can go on to a post-doc research position or go find a job researching or leading a development group in industry - LOL dunno where you got your mail room idea from - maybe they'll do that to unqualified people, but not graduates and certainly not doctorates.

Sounds like your son has it sorted though, he gets paid $40,000 for being a web master?? That company must have some cash trees in its back garden or something. Anyone who know some ASP or php can make websites - you don't need a degree, let alone a PhD to do that, how come he's getting paid so much? Me no understand... hehe. But sounds like schemes we have here where people do a part-time PhD - although they typically take 5 or 6 years to get it as opposed to 3 - 3.5 years for full-time students. Such is the downside to doing it part-time. I'd rather do it full time and not worry about juggling my time between work and research.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #30
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
ooooh, I hope they ask the sorts of questions you've been preparing for man! Give 'em what-for! [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Thanks! It couldn't have gone a lot better to be honest, which is pretty nice as I needed a good mark in this one to take the pressure off. Annoyingly all the obscure stuff I revised to distinguish me from the other horrible oiks doing the course ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) didn't come up. But the standard stuff I revised came up phrased nicely, and the compulsory questions were easy, and you can't really ask for more than that. Now... nose back to the grindstone to revise for the one next thursday!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe