Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #21
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Closing Statement: When dealing with someone who suffers from an "addiction" I do not treat them poorly or with disrespect. I treat them as I would any other human being. [/QB]
and that would be ........porrly and with disrespect [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] Sorry Magik, you have to take the shot when it is there.

Seriously, I have never had an addiction to any of the "physicals" so I can't report from personal experience. Those that are psychologically addictive I have overcome or in the case of Dr. Pepper and chocolate consider it a choice based on (lack of) willpower. One thing I did find interesting is that my wife, who had been a lifelong smoker (40+ years) could not quit using any method. When she was diagnosed with emphysema a few months back and told that she would die within 6 months if she didn't quit that she was able to quit immediately. Sadly there are others, told the exact same thing who don't quit and do die.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #22
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Anyway Im off to continue my post exam hedonism so see you all later.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:06 PM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Anyway Im off to continue my post exam hedonism so see you all later.
Addict.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #24
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I too have been on strong pain killers, Demerol, Darvaset, Morophine, Tyelox, Codine, and some I never worried about, but the demorol I was in so much pain I never paid attention to when I last took some, until i was taking 3 every 2 hours, for over a week, when they pulled me off of it, I did have withdrawls, but then they put me on the drip morophine no withdrawls anymore...andI refused to use alot of it, for fear of all the stories I have heard, As for alcohol, my entire family are alcoholics, except me, i have not had problems drinking, I drink when I want stop when I feel I have had enough, but I have seen what addiction does to people, so yes I say it is real in the minds of the addicts
Old 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
MagiK

Well this has beenenlightening [img]smile.gif[/img] and interesting, Hopefully the overnight crowd will continue to add to the information and
opinions.
Antryg: Oh sure now you start to make fun of my typing and spelling

Old 05-14-2003, 05:35 PM   #26
WillowIX
Apophis

OK MagiK here I come. But I'm going to agree with you. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Up to a certain point of course. Addiction from heavy drugs, such as cocaine etc, can't really be bulled through. The body will react(!), and sometimes it can be fatal if you don't get proper treatment. What people see in movies tend to be exaggerations though but you will suffer consequences from an addiction even if you do get help to overcome it. BUT you can not beat an addiction if your mind is not set to do it. Therefore one has to, as you so eloquently put it, bull through it.

When it comes to coffee and nicotine I completely agree with you MagiK. Alcoholism is borderline and so are many drugs from medical care. Some people manage on their own ( [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] to them) while others suffer serious symptoms.

So basically "do you or do you not want to be in control" is all that matters, with or without help. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, addiction from painkillers prescribed by doctors is a malpractice waiting to happen.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
BTW, addiction from painkillers prescribed by doctors is a malpractice waiting to happen.
(soft voice) Willow, sshhhhhhhhh, be quiet. We're saving this one for later. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 05:48 PM   #28
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
(soft voice) Willow, sshhhhhhhhh, be quiet. We're saving this one for later. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]*whispers* Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't notice your hidden agenda lying on the floor over there. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #29
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:

I guess while Im on a [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] I should say that Im highly skeptical of the whole Psy***** medical profession. Seems to me that a lot of these people are in a position where it would not make financial sense for them to ever actually cure their patients....but thats a different story.
I'll post some thoughts on addiction when I have time later but just for now - there are strict guidlines that guard against mental health workers from 'never curing their patients' in order to get more money from them, AND strict penalties for people who do. Like any medical field, or indeed most profession in general - financial advisors, lawyers, etc, there are checks and balances in place to protect clients and I think it's strange that you would assume that this type of immoral behaviour would be allowed to go unchecked. I also would say that most laypeople do not understand the process of 'curing' a mental problem, and indeed in some cases so-called 'cures' just aren't possible, for instance in the case of brain injury. A neuropsychologist's job is not to cure - you cannot cure in most cases, but to create a system of management and learning so the person can live with and regain functioning. There really aren't that many psychtherapists with couches and delving into childhoods with therapy programs that last for years so people can overcome their anal anxiety and oedipal complexes out there lining their pockets - that is merely what the predominant view of psychologist/psychiatrists is in the community.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 PM   #30
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
If I am not mistaken Vicodin and Oxycontin are opiates..and I beleive Demerol is a Synthetic opiate...which means that they would be similar to heroin. that by the way is a very very bad substance and while Im for legalizing most drugs..that is one I would only allow licensed physicians and scientists to use/experimnt with.
Yep, all the drugs you mention are opiods, of varying degrees of syntheticness. And highly addictive.