Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

That's definitely $US for what he's talking about, Sir Goulem

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, I was speaking in US$. Sorry... had I taken the time to read your location, I would have been more specific. You'll have to convert into CAD (or hop across the border [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

My setup, BTW, which is not quite as nice as Thoran's, involves a Linksys...

> BEFSR41 four-port cable router/firewall
> EZXS88W eight port workgroup switch
> W11S4PC11 four-port wireless router (802.11B) plus a laptop NIC

The last one was a combo pack, picked up on rebate special. Total cost is less than US$200 after rebates.

If you want to see how secure your network might be, get a copy of Network Stumbler (free for download) and see what wireless networks are available to you. You might be surprised...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #13
Thoran
Galvatron

Definitely keep an eye on security, heck there's not another house within 150 yards of mine and I still have security enabled.

I very nearly went the B route myself, I was thinking the primary use of the wireless network would be to get the DSL connection into my home network, so G is a bit of overkill... but the sales guy talked me into it (I'm such a sucker for new technology).
Old 07-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Yeah, I was speaking in US$. Sorry... had I taken the time to read your location, I would have been more specific. You'll have to convert into CAD (or hop across the border [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
I thought it seemed awfully cheap.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Definitely keep an eye on security, heck there's not another house within 150 yards of mine and I still have security enabled.

I very nearly went the B route myself, I was thinking the primary use of the wireless network would be to get the DSL connection into my home network, so G is a bit of overkill... but the sales guy talked me into it (I'm such a sucker for new technology).
Yea, I'm pretty sure that securtiy might be needed where I live. I'm right in the middle of a fairly large neighborhood. How much extra are those ones about?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #15
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:

There are hackers that have access to WAP detectors. They can drive by your house, and see if you are "open for business."
Old 07-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
There are hackers that have access to WAP detectors. They can drive by your house, and see if you are "open for business." [/QB]
I've heard that... and the road is close enough that they'll probably get a signal (150ft. or so), but that's as far as they'll get unless they can break 128bit encryption.

Sir G... I think all new wireless solutions will include good encryption so all you have to do is set it up (which is also very easy).
Old 07-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
quote:
There are hackers that have access to WAP detectors. They can drive by your house, and see if you are "open for business."
I've heard that... and the road is close enough that they'll probably get a signal (150ft. or so), but that's as far as they'll get unless they can break 128bit encryption.

Sir G... I think all new wireless solutions will include good encryption so all you have to do is set it up (which is also very easy). [/QB][/QUOTE]As long as you set up a WAP key, you should be fine. If you don't take the time to make a secure wireless network, well...it's your own fault.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:53 PM   #18
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
quote:

Sir G... I think all new wireless solutions will include good encryption so all you have to do is set it up (which is also very easy). [/QB][/QUOTE]Easy=good. Neither me nor my dad are very technically minded. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

For reference...

WAP -- Wireless Access Point
WEP -- Wireless Encryption Protocol

Similar, but very different.

Don't think that your WEP key is unbreakable, 'cause it isn't. As has been true for decades, if not centuries, locks are only there to keep honest people honest. Someone who wants to can download cracking software that, if they get enough of a data stream from your wireless connection, can figure out the encryption key.

That's why I use three levels:

1. Don't broadcast the SSID
2. Use WEP
3. Restrict access to only known MAC addresses.

Each NIC has its own unique address. They'd have to know yours to spoof it. Sure, they can guess it... but I'm just trying to make it easier for them to look somewhere else.

And in a related story, at a technical trade show I was at last month, they had an open WAP for the attendees. I checked with Network Stumbler, and found no less than 15 wireless connections available for me to use... most using the SSID of "default" [img]smile.gif[/img]

I guess that's really step zero -- change everything (SSID, password, etc.) from the defaults.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:33 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It's pretty simple...just make sure you have a wireless router and a wireless PCI card. Install the PCI card into a PCI slot in your PC, then install the router, you may have to fiddle with it a bit - but it should pick up the PCI card immediately. Then follow the instructions that people have mentioned - you may wish to put a WEP key on your connection so people don't piggyback on it. It's pretty simple - going wireless is simpler than getting cabled up. [img]smile.gif[/img]