Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 09:12 AM   #1
mad god
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everybody!

I'm a new here. I just started the Game. I have played it a year ago, but have a HD crash and lost saves.

Here the story:
When I played for the first time, my characters received 2,3 Skillpoints per level.

NOW, My new chars receiving only ONE skillpoint per level (having Intelligence 13, 17, etc). I just got the second level. This upset me. What's wrong?

P.S. This time I generated PCs from many tries (got about 76-80 ability points from the beginning for each). Maybe that's the reason????

Thanks!
mad god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, mad god!!!

Oh yes, the old "only one skill point" complaint. Let's blame this on the designers for not fully understanding that players love rewards such as more skill points to assign but perhaps they were concerned with the fact that there IS a limit to how many points you can assign in this game.

Getting only 1 is not uncommon in this game. It is, for the most part, the norm and it will all work out fine in the end. Really!

Take your point, get extra training in the guilds and have fun!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
mad god
Elite Waterdeep Guard

but I do not understand, Wyv!

Is not it should be that I receive Intelligence/4 Skillpoints each level advance?
I agreed with random Ability and HP boost/level.

But Skillpoints should be constant(depending on your current Intelligence.

[img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi mad god,

It has been a while since I actually "played" this game but as I recall from my own experience and from dozens of posts on this board - getting only 1 point to assign to skills/abilities is very normal, not what players would like, but very normal.

This is especially true if you have had characters change class. There have been long discussions on the merit (or lack there of) of reloading to see if you can get a better outcome with another try. The general concensus is that it does not pay off.

Are you perhaps talking about "attribute" points? Given that you had very excellent characters from the start - that probably would reduce your chances of getting high attribute points to assign at level up. 18 is the "max". You can actually go higher than that with ankhs (20).

I'm not sure where you got the formula "Intelligence/4 = Skill points". It is possible in this game to actually max out on skills rendering the game unplayable unless you use a "trainer" to lower skills so you have some place to spend the points. We've got a poster on the board who is just doing that so they can continue to develop other aspects of their characters.

Guess it is time that I dusted off this game and played it again!

Wyv
Old 03-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #5
the_young_one
Manshoon

The number of attribute points (to raise your eight stats such as STR, DEX, INT, etc) is randomly generated each time you level up. In most cases you will normally only get one but sometimes you get two and if you are particularly lucky. In the end, this is not a big problem because you can train at the guilds or donate to the temple to raise six of these stats (fortitude and will are not open to training). You will also find ankhs in the game which can raise stas by one or use the magic lamp (best to use these when your stas have reached 20 since you can't train above 20)

The number of skill points is based on the formula intelligence /4 (rounded down). If your intelligence is maxed out to 24, then you will get 6 skill points each time you level up. If your intelligence is 13, then you should get 3 skill points.

For your spell casters, you always get one new spell (assuming you have not maxed out that level) per level up.

I don't know what you mean by 76-80 ability points, so can't help you on that..
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
mad god
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hello the_young_one!

>>>>The number of skill points is based on the formula intelligence /4 (rounded down).
<<<

I agree with that! But I get only ONE every time!
And intelligence is 13-17 through all my chars!
Skillpoints are not random, such as attribute points and HPs!

76-80 ability points - it is the sum of ALL points which I get after character generation. this means my fighter has 77, mage has 80, priest has 76, etc.

why I have only ONE SKILL POINT per LEVEL???
I did not changed classes...I am still at level 1-2!!!

Somebody knows what the problem? I do not what to earn money cheating the game and bying skills at the guilds - this is terrible to have only ONE skillpoint per level!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:09 AM   #7
Detah
Dungeon Master

Attribute points
They are not random. I have concluded that the game engine calculates your total average attribute points given your current level, then assigns you X points to help bring you closer to this average. X is usually between 1-3. [Once all stats are at 18 or more, you will not gain anymore attribute points during level up]

Hence, if you generated characters at the beginning of the game starting with 80+ attribute points, then you are 'ahead' of the average. And will likely only get 1 attribute point for the rest of the game.

Note also, that when you change roles you will NOT receive any attribute points until your level has surpassed the highest level you have attained in any role. So if you have a L15 Wizard, and change to Ranger, you will not gain any more attribute points until you have gotten to L16 Ranger. Now suppose you raise this ranger to L18 then change role to Monk. You would not gain anymore attribute points until you have gotten to L19 Monk. (In rare cases, taking hundreds of reloads, I have gotten 1 attribute point in a role lower in level than a previous level max).

Skill points
In general the rule is that you gain a number of skill points equal to INT/4. True. But there is one exception to the rule.

When you have changed roles, you gain only 1 skill point until you have surpassed your highest level in all previous roles. So if you have a L5 Rogue / L15 Bard / L10 Paladin, and change to Ranger, then you must get to L16 Ranger before you will gain INT/4 skill points again.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:16 PM   #8
the_young_one
Manshoon

Detah is right - if you have changed roles, then you will only get one skill point per level up until you reach and exceed your previous highest level. I think thismakes sense otherwise a charcter who has been level 5 in say six different roles would get the same number of skill levels as a level 30 character.
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
mad god
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok, thanks you all guys (and girls [img]smile.gif[/img] )!!!!!!

I guess I understand the problem. I suspected this before, but to unknown (to me) reason I did not gave a chance to that suspections.

Here what I think (based on my you your thoughts):
1. I created my supercharacters (70+ - 80) Attribute points for each at the very beginning
2. While doing that I many times started to create a new character, then pushed 'back' if his attributes were "not enough".
3. I pushed random buttons (races, classes, genders) just for more fun in this boring timespending.
4. When I saw a good character (say having 75 attribute points) I was back to the very beginning of the character creation process to set race, profession, gender I want.
5. Now you see: I chooses lizard, female, mage, it gained cool attributes, but I like to create human, male, fighter and go back and ..... CHANGE PROFESSION (in other words a CLASS).

I guess, this is damned solution to my problem!
Now I have to re-genenerate characters - several hours of stupid work.

Oh, well, at least I have only reached level 2.

thanks again to all!
Old 03-26-2002, 12:55 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi mad god!

Why not just play with the great characters you made and not be so concerned about those extra points on level up? They sounds like a great group that will work well and it really does all work out in the long run!

Just a thought!

Wyv