Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 AM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

WOW! Lots of good feedback.

To address things in no particular order...

Packrat, I like the condensed index. Should make it quicker to get to an answer. And the double-postings are cross-indexes -- one solution may resolve multiple problems, so we list all the problems on the index pointing to the one solution. Just like the library, where things are catalogued by title, author, subject... all pointing to one book.

the_young_one, I like your thoughts too. I see that our previous discussion threads on this topic are no longer around; we went through a number of considerations, and you've brought up a few new things.

First, this is just the tech problems thread. Gameplay stuff is covered in the Best Tips thread, which we may revamp after this is done. None of the items in here should be construed as spoilers except indirectly. For example,noting there's a problem in the Cet-Kerah fight tells you there will be one eventually, but that's hard to get around. We'll just make sure not to tell you too much about it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Taking that into consideration, perhaps we ought to mention in the initial post that gameplay tips are in the other thread, and that if you can't find what you're looking for here, you might want to look over there.

And based on the way this index is shaping up, I don't think we need two indexes any more. It looks fairly easy to find an answer to a specific problem by simply reading, and with the categories in place, you can look around the entry you're in for other related problems.

I still think Win2000/XP issues should be a separate category since there are so many and they really cripple gameplay. Sure, someone could look for every individual symptom, but after the second or third thing I had to fix and restart, I might find something better to do... like clip my toenails [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Great job, all!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:19 AM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

Bungleau, why not start to sketch on that initial post? I like the index as it is now, maybe remove the:
7.2 - How to use Virtualdub (the how to use will be read when finding the link wouldnīt it?)
and merge (not post in a different thread)
1. General Information
1.1 - How to find the info you need
1.2 - What to include in your post when posting here
with
9. Windows settings
9.1 - How to change swap file size
9.2 - Tip for the Windows swap file
9.3 - Turn on compatibility mode in win2000/XP.
I still think the directx shuld be in there since it can be a problem. The "2 General Gameplay Problems" is a very good naem and has been noted! If you feel that some other categories should be renamed plz mail me canadian_cuty@hotmail.com (makes it easier for me to compare and change).
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:27 AM   #13
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

If it makes it easier to work in email, we could create a group emailing so everyone gets a copy.

I'm maiee@earthlink.net

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:09 PM   #14
DeathDragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'd love to have a copy too. Makes it easier to look through than scrolling down on the message board. (black_hawk222@yahoo.com)

Personally, I don't think we should merge those catagories WillowIX. Windows problems and general information are a little different. The General Information one tells you about the information on the page and where and how to post the messages to get help, and the Windows problems tells you how to mess with Windows to get the game functioning right.

Is there major problems between different OS? Cause I've been using Windows 98 Second Edition and haven't been getting any of those problems. The only problem that I get is that I get kicked out of the game after playing for like 4 hours straight, but that happens on lots of different computers.

Getting rid of that second index really minimizes the searching process and makes the tech thread the way it is supposed to be, easy to access. I like that idea with the only 3 catagories, but won't that make it harder to find the exact thing that you are looking for?

We should also get all the links for like dx8 and all that now so that we won't have as many problems getting the thing together plus it will be set up faster. BTW, what is VirtualDub?

DeathDragon
Once you see a Death Dragon
It's already to late
DeathDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:00 PM   #15
Detah
Dungeon Master

Willow IX you make life so much easier for me. Thank you.

I like what the_young_one posted. Because that is the same way I was thinking about the whole format/setup/indexing. Should be done tonight or tomorrow. Looks like there may be more than 5 entries, now that I look at Willow's index.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:32 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, I'll get started on the initial post. Will be later tonight, but something should be there come the wee hours of the morning. And as usual, it will be a starting point, available to be ripped to shreds by your swords, staves, and spears so that it can be reassembled more effectively.

And on the topic of indexing, seems to me I saw somewhere that indexes were best at around five to seven items per level. Fewer than that, and they become pointless. More than that, and they become harder to follow. I think the light index is a good one, and we should keep with it.

I also think that the items the_young_one mentioned are good topics for the first few posts (once sticky posts come back). As long as they stay close together, all bases will be covered and life will be good in the Gael Serran.

And DeathDragon, there are issues between operating systems, particularly Win 2000 and XP. Virtualdub is one of the tools you use so things will work properly in those OSes -- without it, movies crash and life isn't good.

I also play on Win98 (but first edition, patched), so I haven't directly experienced those things.

As a side note to the_young_one, please don't think that I'm discounting any of your suggestions. In fact, I'm considering them quite a bit. The layout we're working with right now will support what you've suggested with a few minor tweaks (and the addition of the best tips thread, coming later).
-+-+-+
Old 07-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

OK, Iīve been ponding packratīs post for a few hours now. Merging directx with virtualdub (categories 2 and 7) can be a good thing since you get more entries in that single category and it might therefor be easier to notice. I donīt agree with the name "General Gameplay Problems", since that sounds too undefined. If someone can think of anything to match the category plz convey the info here! I still feel that merging 1 and 9 can work too. The category can be named to something with the info "need to know before posting/playing" but in a more elaborate way perhaps. Or perhaps keeping general info and merge 2, 7 and 9 into a single category and call it "Game settings" or some such? You could still call that "Windows settings" (all are windows realted problems). The 2nd one is more appealing to me. Comments?
Old 07-26-2002, 10:20 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, about that index thing... I was really joking. April fool!

*ducks as WillowIX throws numerous heavy blunt objects*

Ouch! Just kidding!

Actually, on your last post, WillowIX, I agree and disagree.

I think section 1 should stand by itself, perhaps renamed as "Getting Started" or "How to use this list".

Sections 2 and 7, directx and virtualdub, make sense to merge. Perhaps a title like "drivers and more" would make sense, in which case we could also merge 6, sound problems into that area.

I think it makes sense to merge section 9, Windows Settings, too; perhaps with section 5, installation problems. Perhaps call that section "Installation checklist and issues" or something like that.

We might also rename section 8, Win2000/XP issues, to "Windows issues" and include that solitary listing, 4.7 currently, on Win 98/ME issues. Then to keep the OS visibility, perhaps we could include the OS in the description.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more details.
-+-+-+
Old 07-27-2002, 02:13 AM   #19
DeathDragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree totally with Bungleau. Section 1 should be left alone where it is and only merge the other ones. The names that Bungleau used for the sections also sound way better than the old ones (no offence WillowIX).

I've been thinking about the unsolved section. I'm not sure, with this many people on this board, we will have any unsolved problems. Plus the unsolved problems would look kinda bad on a tech sheet that is going to be as good as ours. If we have an unsolved problem, we should just post it in its own thread then delete it after when we have gotten the answer and post the answer on the tech sheet.

We should also create another section, Frequently Asked Questions. That way we wont have several posts about the same problem in a short period of time.
DeathDragon<br />************************************************* *********************<br />Once you see a Death Dragon<br />It\'s already to late<br />************************************************* *********************
DeathDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:36 AM   #20
WillowIX
Apophis

K letīs see if I can remember the changes lol. General Info gone since itīs in the greeting by Bungleau, merged directx with virtualdub calling it pregame issues (name suggestions plz), merged windows 2000/xp issues with windows settings into one windows category (called Windows Issues). Added "Back to Top" at the bottom. Thatīs only in there to make it possible to link back from the posts to the mini index. Hmmm thatīs it I think...

[ 07-29-2002, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]