Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 09:57 AM   #11
WillowIX
Apophis

Can I have a go at it? If you don´t like it we´ll remove the thread? (And yes, I am a bit bored lol)
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 10:28 AM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

While I would really like to see the new Best TECHIE Tips set into motion, I also want all the major contributors efforts well coordinated. Perhaps we should wait to hear from Packrat and Bungleau before really starting.

Maybe we should divy up the known problems list and post the beta versions of the Problem/Solution posts here for each of us to review? Once checked here, we can cut and paste them into the permanent thread.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:13 AM   #13
WillowIX
Apophis

I´ll direct this to you Wyv. is there a way to identify a single post within a thread? I tried the "a name" tag in my test thread but that didn´t work. Went to brush up my html but I did it correct. If there is we could make the index to links. A main index could pe posted at page 1 and then page indexes on each page linking to the posts. No need to scroll at all. Another thing, can we make the posts in a specific order (e.g. easy-->difficult). When new posts are added that order will be disrupted. Ideas? And while we´re at it, perhaps we ought to cross index to the best tip thread when there´s similar info of a problem (I think there´s virtualdub info in there as well...)

[ 07-23-2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Test:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=4;t=007453

If this works, all I did was open the other thread, copy the URL and post it in here.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:35 AM   #15
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, that will direct you to a thread but not to a particular post within a thread.

I'll see if there is any way to narrow it down other than "scroll down to GRUMPY's post 3/4 down the page". Off hand I don't know of a way to do that but I might learn something new!

Wyv
Old 07-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

Yes that works when opening a thread. But individual posts within the thread? Let´s say I want to get to post 15 on page 1 of the tech thread. Can I link directly to that? Like <*a href="aa">Post 15<'/a> and then in post 15 add this tag <*a name="aa">Text<*/a>. I tried using that but it didn´t work.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'd be leery of this growing into too many threads. It then loses its value, bit by bit. I'd also remember that we're limited in some ways to what the BBS software can support. Hence, I'm not sure how much more we could put into trying to set up outside databases and such (although I certainly appreciate and value what they represent). Since there are only fifteen posts per page, looking at an index and then a page shouldn't be too taxing for most people.

That being said, if anyone wants to try a mockup, by all means let's do it. It's far easier to tweak and change something that exists than to develop it on electronic paper when all of us are spread out. I wouldn't convert everything, though; just an entry or two to get things started. If we decide we have to start over later, we can simply copy and paste between threads to keep the good stuff.

It sounds like the initial series of posts in the thread might be something like this:

1. Explanation of thread (including gentle reminder that no one gets paid to do this [img]smile.gif[/img] )
2. Index (by problem)
3. Index (by category of problem?)
4. What to include in your post if you have a new problem (and how to get it)
5. Start posts...

I'm suggesting two index posts so that you can easily look up either a problem (town hall doesn't work) or a category (WinXP issues). It may be a little more work to index, but if done right, indexing should be a minor issue.

I do like the thought of letting someone post a new issue, and then once it's resolved, posting a summary and removing the intervening details. That lets this thread serve two purposes: a repository of posting information, and a mechanism for raising new issues.

Next!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:59 AM   #18
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

ooooo such GOOD ideas!!

I really do like the double index idea!

Maybe we should create a list of the known problems and get those organized and cross organized. My own impression is that most of the problems are solved by a relatively few fixes. Is my impression incorrect?
The fixes that come most easily to my mind are the Virtualdub, the DirectX, latest drivers and increase memory (which shows you how untechie I am, eh? ) I don't envision that the Best TECHIE Tips would really have to be that big once it is condensed and written to identify all the various problems one fix solves.

Wyv
(getting the Red out)

[ 07-23-2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Old 07-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #19
Detah
Dungeon Master

I would gladly go through the posts and clean them up into the major categories. I agree with wyv, there are roughly 5 common problems: virtual dub, directx, os, hardware/software mode, and pcu deficiencies (newest drivers, ram, expandable mem, etc).

I'll start it tonight. I dont want to usurp anyone else from doing the same. If anyone else wants to compare notes; all the better. The dual indexing is a great idea. But hopefully since the search engine is now back up and running, finding the correct log of your problem should no longer be a problem.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:46 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

WillowIX, I think the issue is that the name is inside the post, which may not make it fully part of the page.

And as I think of it, isn't the syntax for accessing a name supposed to be href="page#name"? Have you tried it that way?

And Wyvern, you promised not to call me "Grumpy" in public... *pout*

And as for Detah, feel free to get started on whatever makes sense. I wouldn't pour a whole lot into a single post just yet, but if you wanted to compile the data in notepad or something like that (which could be copied and pasted later), that would probably help.

I think the next level of detail we're going to need is summarizing the threads -- formatting them with issue (including single-line description) and solution.

And while I think of it, what about crediting the original poster for their solution? Not that it matters a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like to recognize those folks and their assistance. To have it seem like "us" are the only ones who know anything would be grossly unfair, methinks.

I'm going to be incommunicado tomorrow (meetings to attend), but will be back on Thursday.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote