Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 04:36 PM   #41
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Moridin, in regards to the food issue: My wife and I recently made the switch to eliminate meats, eggs, and dairy products from our diet. In the last two months, I've lost 15 pounds, sleep better, have more energy, and just generally feel healthier. Our grocery bill is now under $250.00 monthly, and we're not consuming things that screw up the environment during their growth or processing.
O.K., bully for us....Here's the catch:
We can spend so little because the store we buy from, Trader Joe's, also sells high-priced gourmet items such as pates', prepared meats, cheeses, etc.. The fact that they make fat bank on that stuff allows them to sell the other food at a reasonable price.
We have the great good fortune to live in the strongest economy in the world, although I'm sure GW & co. will fix that soon... Anyway, the price we pay for our cheaper foods and greater selection is that the companies who offer these things to us usually also do the higher-profit but more damaging business also.
It seems that nothing is without a price, unfortunately.

Congratulations

My wife and I (well seperated wife ) did not eliminate meat,eggs,dairy, but did switch to eating low or no fat, low calorie, high fiber foods. She lost 45lbs and I lost 36! It really is amazing what a switch in diet can do!!!!!

I agree with you on the food topic. Everything is done at a cost. My store at which I shop also sells gourmet foods that are grossly overpriced, but that is okay with me. I figure if you have the money to spend to kill yourself, then why not go for it

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-10-2001, 05:07 PM   #42
Absynthe

yeah that reminds me of a line from a song.... I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride...
I suppose one can get pretty bent when looking at all that's wrong, but "ya does whats ya can, and then ya has a beer"

[This message has been edited by Absynthe (edited 04-10-2001).]

Old 04-10-2001, 08:11 PM   #43
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
Yes, but I think a different approach to how we/others deal with global warming will need to be reviewed. It's one thing to declare a problem and then to dive into an immediate solution rather than investigating the cause fully and trying to devise an extremely effective solution. Throwing money into trying to cure global warming by itself will not cure it.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
As I did not have cable until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't really seen much about global warming or recycling other than in the newspaper or on the local news. The topics were brought up mainly because of Bush's decision to either allow strip mining in the Antarctic or to try and preserve what is there.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions) I used to recycle until I started working in a recycling plant. I don't know if a lot of people are aware that we are exchanging one form of a bad habit to another. When I was working in an aluminum recycling plant, the process that they used (possibly refined by now, this was in 94) gave off a considerable amount of air pollution. So, we can save the product, but lose a little of our air. This air pollution does add to the ozone problem too, but it does save a lot of space in those landfills. I do still recycle from time to time as I also used to work at a landfill. They tried to "process" the waste to use as fuel and again, had something of that air pollution problem. Amazing amounts of methane released. Someone actually was considering trying to capture the Methane and try to burn it without cleaning it. Hmmmm. Give that man a prize. So what happens is that you get a lot of pollution. Saves money on that electric bill that you get though as it is then cheaper to create electricity.

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?
Well, considering that I used to be pro-Nuke, I would have to say against it somewhat. I learned a little about the process that goes on with nuclear reactors when I was in the Navy and was beginning to enter the Nuke field, it's not all it's really cracked up to be. As long as we can somehow contain the harmful effects (radiation) that are produced and can ensure no THREE MILE ISLANDS occur, it's pretty rad. I would really like to see a fusion reactor created, but the last I heard, that was still many years away. With a fusion reactor, it can re-use it's own waste by recombining the products consumed (Uranium and the water, plus the control substances). Too deadly for everyday use yet though.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline? To he** with cars, I want to see some flying modes of transport. LOL. We have enough problems going day to day in everyday traffic with cars already, but most electrical cars are just too ineffecient to use in everyday traffic. We would still have the same problem though as to what to put in the vehicle to propel it. Hmmm, if it was feasible, it would be cool if we could have something similar to magnetic fliers.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Well, considering that I don't really use much electricity (about $35 a month), it hasn't really bothered me so far. If it were to double, that would be cool too. Just so long as it wouldn't get out of reach where I couldn't afford it. In Florida, you gotta have A/C. Without it, you could die.

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming? It is my belief that government and the commercial businesses are responsible. The government for being too flexible with their cut off dates and business for not getting out there and finding some practical solutions already. There's a lot of money in energy sources and if we were to find something cheap and simple to replace what's already there, someone would lose a lot of money. Industry is trying to keep prices high for energy alternatives so that they can continue turning profit.

Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
See previous answer.

Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
See previous answer.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-10-2001, 08:15 PM   #44
Moni

I'll add my two cents for what it is worth but will keep it short because the protection of our environment is a touchy subject with me and I could literally go on for day at what ignorant asses mankind has developed.

It's man's fault and man's responsibility.
RECYCLE!

Don't fret, the earth will rebel and attempt to rid itself of disease the same as the human body, however DO FRET cause our arses are going to be in serious trouble when it happens!

It is a bit on the too late side of life to reverse the potential damage we as humans are doing to ourselves via the lack of care for the ONLY environment we have to live in and I seriously doubt that governments will be shipping ALL of us off to a new planet!

Moni

Old 04-10-2001, 08:37 PM   #45
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Moridan, here's my two-cents worth...

Yes!

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
Yes...And, no (sorry, don't remember that kind of detail. )

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yes.

If against, why?
Evil! Unnecessary evil!

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
Hard to say...What alternative?

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Yes.

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws All of the above.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-10-2001, 08:59 PM   #46
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I'll add my two cents for what it is worth but will keep it short because the protection of our environment is a touchy subject with me and I could literally go on for day at what ignorant asses mankind has developed.

It's man's fault and man's responsibility.
RECYCLE!

Don't fret, the earth will rebel and attempt to rid itself of disease the same as the human body, however DO FRET cause our arses are going to be in serious trouble when it happens!

It is a bit on the too late side of life to reverse the potential damage we as humans are doing to ourselves via the lack of care for the ONLY environment we have to live in and I seriously doubt that governments will be shipping ALL of us off to a new planet!

Moni

I totally agree with you. That's why I was saying that looking at the problem in a different way is needed. People just don't listen anymore.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-10-2001, 10:16 PM   #47
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

YES

Yes But I don't remember what it was about.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)

No

If against, why?

For it. Probably the cleanest there is out there.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?

Zero. There is NO reason for having to pay for a car that runs on an alternative
fuel source. The technology already exists to do this cheaply.

No Again there is no reason to pay more for technology that already exists.
I'd just be lining somebody elses pocket.

Consumers for their unwillingness to use ?cleaner? products because they cost more and are less available
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws

All of the above

Thank you everyone for your answers!
I will post the poll results at the end of the week!

------------------

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 04-10-2001, 11:34 PM   #48
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin;
I totally agree with you. That's why I was saying that looking at the problem in a different way is needed. People just don't listen anymore.
Thank you! We are absolutely right!
Hugs!
Moni

Old 04-10-2001, 11:44 PM   #49
Moni

To actually answer your specific questions, my friend...

YES

NO

It is not mandatory where I live but yes. It should be mandatory everywhere!

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For If against, why?
Against...I think it is pretty ignorant to produce power in an manner that poses a local/global threat on that level.

Hmm, strange that you should ask how much we would pay...are you in the process of developing one? I don't think they should be priced any higher than gasoline driven cars/trucks presently on the market...actually, make them cheaper and I'll buy one!

Shouldn't wind and solar power be free?

Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
All of the above, and you can includse the added:
Gov't funded rain forest murderers..its a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-10-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 01:02 AM   #50
Jimbo
The Magister

Yes and No, yes it needs to be looked at, but no it is not a topic that demands we do it right now
Yes, Alternative fuels, Kyoto Treaty, A couple on sea and land based oil drilling.

Only cans and we make our own compost (but you only need so much of that)

If against, why?
It's not too bad, but not to great either. Regulating and enforcing is usually decent, the problem is disposal of the left-over waste. The only real solution is one that is cost prohibitive, blasting it up to the moon or into the sun, all other disposal are short term fixes.

As much as I payed for my Jeep 3000 us dollars and a bottle of Jack.
Seriously, I will consider and alternative power source when it is as cheap to buy and operate as a conventional (gas/diesel) truck (I can't use a car where I'm at) You have to think that not all of us live in a city and can always hope a bus somewhere or would like to drive some underpowered electric toy.

No, non-renewable sources of energy are there for us to use up, and when we use them up, we get a diffrent source. There is no reason to let the oil sit in the ground unused.

Well for a while there they thought is was all the dang cows farting that was causing it.

Its a combination of what you said and a little more.
Consumers want convience and performance, giving me a piece of shit dressed up to perform like something of substance, and saying it is better, but sucks worse in performance isn't what I want to pay for. Also, unless everyone and I mean everyone is limited in choice you can't force the consumer to buy the expensive and cleaner one. Joe and Janey six-pack (like me ), don't give a rats ass about how you the intelectual are sooooo conserned about the environment. We see you living in the city, when were out in the sticks spending more time in the dirt than most environmentalist will ever spend, and you telling us what you want us to do. That is a good way to alienate the consumers.

Automobile and engine builders-- they will get on the band wagon once there is a real increase in the price of oil and switch to another method. They do have in the works of using alternative power, and want to do it right so it ain't rejected as some piece of crap being legislated into the consumer. Oil companies want to get as much of it as they can, and don't want to loose believe it or not. They aren't out there trying to cause an accident, as accidents spill there product, and loose there money. Oil industy has turned into a big political mess as alot of the countries that have clout and money, will loose out if there is a big switch, thus they either diversify or die.

Regulations-- sheesh... more of what we need. If you are going to regulate it needs to be done fair, not hey US you guys will have to cut in half your emmisions, and other countries (producing more emisions) won't have to cut back at all and can actually increase. That is what sucks about treaties is that sometimes they get turned into ways to hamper one country and help another.

Things to overcome to get "The Not In My Back Yard" into "It Is In Everyone's Back Yard", you have to implement local recycling everywhere, not just in one area. Making it fair and not alienateing people will be the main goals.
Also, more research needs to be done, as there are alot of stories coming out on both sides, and unfortunetly money has intered in on both the environmentals and the poluters, sorry no one is corrupt from greed, and it has tainted alot of reports. Good luck to you on your report. BTW, the grain-alcohol to hydrogen powered car sounds like it might be the one to catch on, as it's engine won't be drastically diffrent from current Hydrocarbon using ones, and its performance is close, and its means of distrubution of fuel (gas stations) can be modified for this fuel.