Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-10-2000, 07:23 PM   #1
Ator

Hi all - Having a heck of time killing mind flayers. What spells do I use to protect my party?

Thanks a head of time!! Ator.

Old 12-10-2000, 07:29 PM   #2
Master Sorcerer

Im not sure but try using chaotic commands if you have a priest. Never tried it but it might help. Good luck

Old 12-10-2000, 07:53 PM   #3
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

look for the post " aggresive mindflayer tactics". It was modified a few days ago I believe. Chaotic commands, the 5th lvl priest spell works wonders!
Old 12-10-2000, 11:33 PM   #4
Armisael

I regularly get creamed by the illithid brain devour. You can't save against it and no spell or item protects from it. However, almost every time you face a group of illithid, it's in a room with a door. You can use this to your advantage - open the door, throw a cloudkill in with the appropriate wand, and close the door. Illithid have considerable trouble opening doors, so you can just sit back and let them slowly asphyxiate.

Old 12-11-2000, 05:34 AM   #5
MidNightForce
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have to say first, im only in chapter 4. But i met so far enough Mind Flayers, and i cannot understand why so many have problems with them. My kensai/mage 9/13 is doing the most work in the game without any problems. I always send him alone to the front and he kicks often any monsters ass. So mind Flayers, they only sometimes get a spell on me cause i have qood rescue throws + 15%magic res. cause items. And if they dominate me, i just wait until spell is gone. If im cursed with the chaotic spell, i call Keldorn to send a little ban magic spell! Thats it. I think skelleton warriors, golems and f***** mages are more problematic.
Old 12-11-2000, 05:39 AM   #6
Armisael

What? The stun and domination isn't the problem. The problem is the fact that whenever they hit you, they drain five intelligence, and if your intelligence (or any stat) goes below zero, that's instant death. They also hit five times per round and have an insanely low THAC0. You can barely solo one of them, let alone a group of them.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:56 AM   #7
MidNightForce
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Never had that problem yet. I noticed, that my intelligence dropped but being a kensai/mage having 18 Int i survived it. I think i had only 3 Int left But ok, i think nobody is using the rush in and kill anything strategy. I never let him fight more than 3-4 MindFlayers, always run away(boots of speed) if there were more. So its a little bit hard, especially if you dont have a fighter with 18 Int like me and if you dont play strategic, but though i think, there are harder things in BG2.
Old 12-11-2000, 09:20 AM   #8
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How to kill mind-flayers? well, i don't mean to be a smart-ass but the most logical answer would seem to be: QUICKLY!
Old 12-11-2000, 09:21 AM   #9
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK
Old 12-11-2000, 06:23 PM   #10
Halscion

4 hasted Skeleton Warriors + 1 wizards eye.
They're mindless -- no stun, no charm, no brain to devour. If you can take out the umber hulks the warriors probably won't even be injured.

Alternately, "trick" the flayers into gathering on one side of a closed door. Trap the hell out of the other side. Open the door.