Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-03-2001, 08:52 PM   #1
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

I have returned from Durlags Tower to Ul's Beard. The dagger gets stolen as soon as I get back into town. I see the dwarf and he tells me I must destroy the priests who have the dagger. I find the place, kill the priests and demon.

I take a quick breather and search the bodies for treasure and a ghast appears from nowhere and kills (no ressurection possible) Imoen immediatly. Imoen has about 60 hp at the end of killing the demon.

I reload and rekill the demon and immediatly save the game. Start playing again and this ghast from nowhere appears and kills Imoen. Reload and head everyone immediately up the stairs. Ghast appears and kills Imoen. Restart game, put invisibility spell on Imoen. Wait 10 seconds and a ghast appears from nowhere and immediately kills Imoen. Have tried about 15 variations on these themes with the same result.

Is this supposed to happen? If not, how do I get around this? I really like Imoen. She has been with me from the start.

BTW, I have already killed Sarevok, so have I hit the end of the game?
pBluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:05 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's supposed to happen, allthough the ghast doesn't appear and kills Imoen. It's Imoen who turns into a ghast. This has to do with the demons gaze attack. He can use this once a round (or was it turn, don't know exactly) but he can hold your people. Afterwards, they get another icon on their portrait. If you look at the character sheet that icon will be ID'ed as the 'dying' icon. The only way to get rid of it is to use dispel magic. So have your mages AND/OR clerics AND/OR druids memorize it and, just to be safe, keep a few scrolls aswell. After you dispelled it, it should be gone and you should be safe. Remember to do it quickly or the affected party member will turn into a ghast. Took me a long time to figure this out myself.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:17 PM   #3
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Another solution is return to a saved game (perhaps you still have the autosave upon entering the Ulgoth's map?) before the battle, buy all four of the Potion of Mirrored Eyes at the inn, and give them to the characters that are consitently getting the whammy put on them. That will protect the party from the Death Gaze and will also avoid removing whatever spells and potion effects your party is using via the Dispell Magic spell. And since the Potion of mirrored Eyes works, the Protection from Petrification spell might also, now that I think of it--that would be worth a try also.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:19 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You'd better pray you've got a Dispel Magic memorized, or you've at least got the Auto-Save, because if not, you've lost Imoen permanently. Too bad you saved after killing Aec'Letec.....

And Sarevok ain't dead, unless you're using the cheat that lets you keep playing after you kill him. If you go back to the end battle, all the areas leading up to it should be clear (except for respawning enemies), but the temple itself will be untouched, because you've never gone in.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:52 PM   #5
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

Yah Six of Spades, you're right. I forgot I after I killed him I loaded the game just prior to killing him to play TotSC. So I guess it is time to head back to BG.

Thanks for the clue on Dispel Magic. I've got it on my clerics list. Time to load and use.
pBluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:11 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

If you dont mind cheesing the battle - wait for him to fail his resistance on his own stun attack, and then put an otilukes resilient sphere on him. fist atacks will get though the sphere (one of my fave BG1 exploits), but hes immune to non magical weapons.so use the time to smash his followers, and then the sphere will prevent him casting the ghast portion of his gaze attack (its implemented as gaze and the ghast spell from aec'letec, the later one being automatic,instant and un-interuptable). when it wears off you have 2 or 3 tanks ready to beat him up. no ghast problems, no demon problems, no problems.