Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-10-2001, 10:22 AM   #21
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Your RL name isn't Damien is it? (or a child of Bhaal perhaps )

What month is you b'day Moridin?

September! And my RL name isn't Damien. Nor is it Kevin, Robert, Stanley, Phillip, Steve, Randy, Tom, Dick, Harry, Albert, Luis, Terry, Chris, Mark, Brian, John, Bill, Mitch, Brett, Martin, Charles, Tim, or Ken

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-10-2001, 10:27 AM   #22
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
September! And my RL name isn't Damien. Nor is it Kevin, Robert, Stanley, Phillip, Steve, Randy, Tom, Dick, Harry, Albert, Luis, Terry, Chris, Mark, Brian, John, Bill, Mitch, Brett, Martin, Charles, Tim, or Ken
Virgo, makes you a perfectionist right?

It's ok. I'm the only who knows your RL name is SHIRLEY.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-10-2001, 05:21 PM   #23
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, the legend of "Friday the 13th" comes from two sources.

First, the Christ source: there were 12 Disciples, and Christ made the 13th. 13 sat at table at the Passover supper (what Christians call the "Last Supper"). This is one reason why some people think it's unlucky to seat 13 at a table to this day, especially at a dinner party. I'm not joking.

Second: Christ died on a Friday. The correspondence of "13" and "Friday" sort of took hold; both seemingly very unlucky dates.

Because the calendar was Julian (the Roman standard) back then rather than Gregorian (what most of the world uses nowadays), the actual date of Christ's death was measured by a completely different system, and only using 10 months rather than 12. There's no way to determine if it would have been a Friday the 13th, without some extensive backward calculations (and even then, they wouldn't have known it). The correspondence was clearly coincidental.

The second reason that Friday the 13th was so fated was in 1307, October, Friday the 13th was the date of the massacre of the Knights Templar by the French ruler Phillipe Le Bel. The Knights Templar were an esoteric Christian order that was formed to protect pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land. Later, they were instrumental in setting up the great cathedrals in France and other parts of Europe; most notably their work can be seen in the Notre Dame and Chartres Cathedrals. Philip the "Slime" wanted their treasure, which was considerable, and so declared them to be demonologists, worshipping a heathen demon named Baphomet (which was clearly not the case). He succeeded in wiping out all but a few of the Knights of the Temple of Jerusalem (their official name). Those who survived went underground and formed the society of Freemasons (the master builders; appropriate for those builders of the great cathedrals of Europe). This order has survived to this day as what we know as the Masons, still an esoteric order.

(And, I was born on September, Friday the 13th, 1963.)

Old 04-10-2001, 05:58 PM   #24
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Don't know bout anyone else, but I always have good luck on Friday the 13th so it does not bother me, I look forward to it!

------------------
Old 04-10-2001, 06:54 PM   #25
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly;
He's old and wrinkly, its probably best if you hug him for me!
LMAO, Uh, I'll let you hug him for me, you are so much closer to him than I am and all...

Moni