Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2002, 09:42 AM   #21
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
well,i kinda hope something happens in europe, and the leaders of europe ask for America's aid. then i hope America denies said aid, simply because unless we are helping YOU, we are wrong, we are immoral, we are not justified. the responsibilities that America has to deal with as a "super-power" are immense. and to say that we "whine" about the world trade center? no, we should congradulate them and say "good job, you got us that time!!" psh, i say let the world rot, and we will see who still stands, and who begs for our help. ive said it before, and ill say it again; europe was MORE than happy when we got involved in WWII and saved your butts, but now that it is doesnt concern you, you condemn it. THAT is hipocricy, not our response to terrorism. hell, we let the incident with the USS Cole slide!! we did an investigation, and that was it. we didnt bomb, we didnt kill in response, we did NOTHING. America was hit HARD on September 11th. we are defending ourselves to our fullest. europe would do the same if another hitler attacked, and America would be the FIRST country they called for aid!!! its threads like this that remind me of why i dont want to visit europe!! (aside from ireland and scotland [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Aaustralia isnt europe is it? i thoroughly enjoyed my time in Australia!!!
So you hope something happens here huh ? What did you have in mind then ? Boy, you really are a bundle of joy, aren't you. Makes me glad you don't wanna come to Europe, especially since you don't even know Australia is in it or not.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:01 AM   #22
skywalker
Banned User

Many people dislke the USA because it is the "only" major World power and it uses that fact to the fullest. We are the proverbial "Bull in the china shop".

It always looks like America can do whatever it wants because we can and noone is big enough to kick us off the "Hill" in which we are "King".

I do believe our government could use a bit of humility and tact.

I also think that Colin Powell would have been a better President than the one we have now (what's his name, again? ).

I cringe at every boast made in the name of America. Pride is fine when it is tempered...I see little of that these days.

Mark
Old 08-18-2002, 10:01 AM   #23
WillowIX
Apophis

About the news (I have BBC so I get the European news as well). Eutopeans generally tend to know a lot more about North America than we know about Europe. But that´s an education issue. European schools are a LOT better than canadian or american (studied in all). But I must admit when I studied (with American books) that I felt ashamed when it mentioned Paris and the authors put in:
Quote:
That´s the capital of France
Old 08-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Many people dislke the USA because it is the "only" major World power and it uses that fact to the fullest. We are the proverbial "Bull in the china shop".

It always looks like America can do whatever it wants because we can and noone is big enough to kick us off the "Hill" in which we are "King".

I do believe our government could use a bit of humility and tact.

I also think that Colin Powell would have been a better President than the one we have now (what's his name, again? ).

I cringe at every boast made in the name of America. Pride is fine when it is tempered...I see little of that these days.

Mark
I keep hearing that over and over again, the USA is the only worldpower. Who made that up ? And why do you think that ? Are your nukes more shiny than those from China, Russia, Ukraine, the UK, and all those others ? Imo, everyone with an arsenal full of nukes is a worldpower. Sure you could kick the Chinese of your little hill, but they could crawl back up and blow up that hill with you on it. It's arrogance that comes before the downfall dude.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #25
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
[/qb]
I keep hearing that over and over again, the USA is the only worldpower. Who made that up ? And why do you think that ? Are your nukes more shiny than those from China, Russia, Ukraine, the UK, and all those others ? Imo, everyone with an arsenal full of nukes is a worldpower. Sure you could kick the Chinese of your little hill, but they could crawl back up and blow up that hill with you on it. It's arrogance that comes before the downfall dude.[/QUOTE]

Well J-man, he did put only in ""s, and he did say America could use some humility and tact, so I think his views are similar to yours.
I have views on the subject, but anyone arguing on the USA debate these days becomes like someone in a modern day racism argument. (I can't remember whose sig it is, but it says about how the modern definition of racist is someone winning an argument against a liberal, although I'm liberal it's sadly true in many cases.)
If you argue for america, even if you have some points of agreement, the wording is usually defiant, as they percieve it as a bad word as everything they stand for, and europeans in the argument become hypocrites.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #26
skywalker
Banned User

The "only" World Power thing came when the USA supposedly "won" the Cold War with Russia. I certainly did not make it up. It is more a perception than a concrete thing.

Mark
Old 08-18-2002, 12:56 PM   #27
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Guess i will put my 2 cents in here, i do beleive that America has an attitude problem. I look around and everyone is full of themselves and when we travel abroad we carry that attitude with us making the rest of the world think we believe we are the best. I admite some do believe this and some don't its a matter of education about the world. Unless people from the US travel abroad i have seen the trend of them believing we are the center of the world instead of just a part of a dynamic global situation. As for the wtc attacks i think america had it comming from one group or another sometime. We have had a history of going in where ever we want and meddling in the affairs of other countries with or without there consent. Look at how we devistated and utterly culled the Japanese government after WW2 they can't even have a mititary force besides a restricted defense force anymore and have to depend on us. As for the Flooding i haven't seen much coverage of it myself besides two or three minutes at the most of coverage on regular news. Like said before its good its bad its america. We have done many good things around the world but we have also done many bad things and as americans we are usually not tought about the bad things our government has done in its history besides what we have done with in our borders.

[ 08-18-2002, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Blade ]
Old 08-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #28
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
We have done many good things around the world but we have also done many bad things and as americans we are usually not tought about the bad things our government has done in its history besides what we have done with in our borders.
*nods* Ditto.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:52 PM   #29
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, you guys came up with the NY Yankees, i'm still grateful for that.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:11 PM   #30
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

johnny, i guess i wasnt thorough enough with my wording. all im saying is, the next time something happens, i hope America asks WHY we should help. i mean hell, if everyone in Europe hates us, then why the hell should we even help them? that is all im getting at. i didnt mean that i HOPE something happens there, geeze.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century