Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2001, 07:42 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

The problem is:

How do we sustain this "War On Terrorism" financially. How can we afford to keep funding it if our economy is so bad and the numbers of the unemployed keep growing (I'm one of them). I wish the BIG companies could try to pull together with us and cut salaries and benefits rather than cut the jobs out entirely. I can't image what they have to pay in UnemployementInsurance now. Are we on the road to a BIG national debt again?

There is no doubt that the economy was flagging prior to September 11. But the current state of it is directly connected to the terrorst attacks in New York, Wachington DC and Pennsylvania. I wonder how much each bomb costs?

Now I'm not saying this War is not just (not saying it is either, beside the point right now), but there needs to be balance. We are fighting, at the moment, a two front War (not a good thing!) in Afghanistan and at home (Anthrax). The Bush Administration is asking for lots of money to fight it on both fronts. (It is also asking for a lot of changes in Governmental control of our lives, referring to civil liberties, but that's a whole other subject.)Mr. Bush is also asking for more Tax breaks to "stimulate" the economy. I can't see how America can hold herself together. The ones who say all this is okay because we are at War seem comfortable with the possibilty that this many do damage to our childern's financial future and our prospects for any sort of retirement. Seems like the numbers are being manipulated. They speak of millions of dollars as if it is pocket change, I cannot fathom the money that is racing around right now.

So it seems we are in a pretty pickle, which as time goes by will become more sour as we go. I don't know what will happen, but if we end up with a financial wasteland, the terrorists will have won.

We need a government, and this counts all the branches, agencies, and offices, who can see the whole picture and who can make prudent decisions. We also need them to watch each other closely, to make sure we are not all swept away in one single direction with blinders on. I don't embrace gridlock, but one supreme unified country does not appeal to me either, it overlooks lots of details.

Mark

skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I see your point Mark, but if the U.S. captures or kills Bin Laden, maybe that will increase the faith in the U.S. and improve it's economy?
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:25 AM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I see your point Mark, but if the U.S. captures or kills Bin Laden, maybe that will increase the faith in the U.S. and improve it's economy?
I hope so too, Neb! We need something like that to happen, and soon!

Mark

Old 10-26-2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

No, I don't think that killing or capturing Bin will solve anything. The damage is done and we are feeling the ripple effects from it. Plus, even if Bin is gone, the treath of terrorism isn't.

Alot of money will be needed to stabilize the economy. There's one problem with our economy right now: it's based on capitalism. That means that you must always strive to make profit. From their point of view, licensing people is nothing more than a logical measure to decrease the operating costs. The industry is VERY selfish and unfortunatly, it will remain that way.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Well people stopped buyin stuff.

What i hope will happen is people will start paying more attention to what they do buy.

NO MORE USELESS PLASTIC DIAPERS...use cloth.
NO MORE SUV...take the bus...you live in the city you dont need that hog!

Unemployment is the big problem here. New jobs have to be created...now i hope that new jobs are created...and i hope that they are created in new ways.

Not useless make-work projects like the FRBC waste of money garbage...but new workers doing new services. Instead of re-initializing the old...start anew.

I dont think the points i was trying to say came across quite as i wanted them too here...
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 05:09 PM   #6
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

If you look back through history, the single best jump starter for the ecomony is....a war. I'm not going to get into a lot of the specifics on why this is, cause i don't have time to do all the research to make sure I line it all out accurately. But if you check it out, you'll find that after every was we've had a period of huge economic growth. WW2 spelled the end for the depression in a major way as just one example.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 05:20 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:
If you look back through history, the single best jump starter for the ecomony is....a war. I'm not going to get into a lot of the specifics on why this is, cause i don't have time to do all the research to make sure I line it all out accurately. But if you check it out, you'll find that after every was we've had a period of huge economic growth. WW2 spelled the end for the depression in a major way as just one example.

That's exactly what thought, but somehow I can't see how this "War" can possibly get us out of a recession. I think the terrosist attacks (Anthrax) and the fear of terrorist attacks will undermine a War recovery!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
Old 10-26-2001, 05:24 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:

The same was true after WWI, and going back even further, after the Civil War, though that boom took sometime to spread to the South. We won't see that kind of benefit because our goal here is to return to normal. We won't be opening Afghany markets to US goods with a huge profit ratio, but a winning war still has economic benefits. This is why you didn't see a post-Vietnam boom.

I think the key here is that the population backs the war effort. If confidence is restored in the US through these actions, then the economy will thrive. People will again feel safe and spend more. They won't be saving up for an Anthrax Shelter, they'll be buying their kids the "Commandos: Fall of Afghanistan" playstation game, gamecards, and action figures.(Wow! I got the Osama hologram)

I do believe this current action can have a large positive effect on our economy, as long as we don't do it "half-way". If we take action, we have to follow it through to it's end. No half-measures.
------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-26-2001).]
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote