Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #11
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

Here, here. Just because the PR firm hired by the Diablo developers kept up a mantra stating "it's an RPG," doesn't make it so. I think anybody who has truly played a RPG (either PnP, or BG2) knows the difference.

Yes, I agree. Having played D2 once through (as a paladin. I did the secret cow level too [img]smile.gif[/img] ), I honestly can't bring myself to call it an RPG. To me, D2 is an action game set in a fantasy environment typical of RPGs. It's essentially hack n' slash (or click n' click). There is not much depth to it, apart from hoping to pick up cool & more powerful magic weapons, armour & items.

You can't even kill any npcs even if you wanted to. In BG2 you can, but there are consequences.

I was quite frustrated by having to refight monsters in areas that you had already cleared in previous sessions. Although the waypoints helped the player to 'skip ahead' to where they wanted to go, it was still a drag having to fight & kill more monsters just so that I could get to that dungeon or to this cave.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:40 PM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well I have to say i like D2X (D2 Classic vs. BG2 is well... not even a comparison. BG wins it all) because it has more space in the stash and greater items! heehee [img]smile.gif[/img] what I like in general is the hands-on experience with your own character... you care for you character and all that... and this game kills less brain-cells than your BG2 game... but then it gives you this angsty feel and makes you wanna kill everything [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
Harry
The Magister

Location: The Land of naked fraulicing nymphs where your every desire comes true
i have played both and honestly i just couldn't bring myself into D2 that much. I must admit it is quit fun to go on the internet with hacked or cracked or whatever they call it character and slaughter people. besides that though, BG2 all the way. Also, i'm pretty sure that Sorceress is the most powerful in D2, well maybe Barbarian, they're both pretty good

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Harry ]

Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Personally I think D2 is fun to do once, but has no replay value. It is just about how fast and long you can click.

If you liked D2, you will like this new free game, same style:
http://statbuilder.voidptr.com/

I really like games made with the Infinity Engine, but for some reasons I don't like Icewind Dale.