Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #221
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Suppose we are sitting in a bar having a drink or two. It doesn't matter whether the bar is smoke free or not. Knowing that I am a non-smoker, would you have enough respect for me as such, to not light up in my presence?
It depends on whether the bar is smoke free or not. I would at least be polite enough to move away from you. If we are hanging out together, and sitting at the other end of the bar isn't an option, I would probably respect your wishes.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:53 AM   #222
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Yes, Yorick, I saw your other thread and your response in it.

"If you don't live in NYC, you don't have any business debating this issue since it doesn't affect you".

I recall that you did not appreciate having that same logic applied to you by Magik when you wanted to "debate" certain Constitutional rights - even though they don't apply to you because you aren't an American citizen.

Your response then was to say something along the lines of "So, since I'm not part of the group affected - I'm not allowed to discuss it?" You then reminded him that IW was an international forum and that members should not be restricted to participating only in those threads that directly affected them.

Yet now you are advocating the same thing.
Cerek, you win my hero-for-the-day award.

As for the localized issue, Yorick, yes, NYC has different issues than a lot of places. I'd submit to you, however, that since I live and work smack dab in downtown Chicago, the smoking ban would be a very similar situation here.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 AM   #223
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I really haven't read all of the posts in this thread. I have read the first half of the first thread, but then I just got a bit lazy. Anyway, I hope people don't mind I just go back to the begining and tell my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm not a smoker, and I really can't stand smoke. It makes me sick, makes my eyes hurt, and all of that just after being around smoke for a couple of minutes. Both of my parents smoked when I was little, so I was used to it then, but after years of being in an environment without cigarettes, smoking really makes me feel sick. But what I really really hate about cigarettes is that it makes my hair and my clothes stink! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Only after a couple of minutes in the smoke my hair stinks so much... And if I don't have time to wash my hair, when I wake up in the morning, the whole bed stinks! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, because of that I don't go to bars or pubs where they smoke. If they have a non-smoking section, which is really a non-smoking section, that means, that the smokers are in the other room, then I go there. Otherwise I don't. [img]smile.gif[/img] So a non-smoking law would be good for me, and also for my other non-smoking friends. But I think they'll put it here soon anyway...

So, as long as there are smokers in a restaurant or a bar, I will try to avoid it.
Though I have one question for smokers. [img]smile.gif[/img] Why don't you use snuff instead? [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's just as bad for you, just as disgusting, but it doesn't hurt other people. Hehe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 10:46 AM   #224
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Another 9 pages. I'll close this one, it's getting too long for people to read it all, and start a new one. The new one is here.