Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-22-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Hi!!!!
Amoebic dysentery??? Eeewwww!
Isn't Egypt great though?
Old 03-22-2002, 04:22 PM   #12
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Hey! You went to the only continent I've never been too. Other than Anartica that is. Seems like you've enjoyed yourself even though you were sick.
I understand what you're saying about rl, I'm going to be going through some big changes soon. To many decisions to make, and i'm to lazy to make em all! *Sigh*
Glad to hear that things have slowed down a bit for you. And once again Welcome Back!

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Old 03-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #13
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Hi!!!!
Amoebic dysentery??? Eeewwww!
Isn't Egypt great though?
Hi Epona! Yes, I thought Egypt was stunning. However, this trip, I just went to the Red Sea, and to the Sinai desert (into the deep desert).

It was a dance holiday, rather than sightseeing. We danced in the desert, under the full moon, well, I say 'we', by that time I'd succumbed to heatstroke and the aforementioned amoebic thingy.

Being sick outside of Western 'amenities' was certainly an experience, very intense to say the least. I don't think I've ever been given so many 'remedies'. Homeopathy, aromatherapy, bedouin teas, bedouin herbs, two lots of antibiotics (the first lot didn't work) &tc. Talk about being a site for experiementation and everyone's pet theory!

Next time, I plan to take a trip down the Nile, also visit Karnak and Thebes... Guess you've done those things? I really like the Egyptian pantheon also. Sehkmet is my favourite goddess....
Old 03-22-2002, 04:46 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

I went to Egypt for 3 weeks over Xmas/New Year 1994-5 - and had a great time! Didn't get sick like you did, but I did get flu and missed the New Years party

This was when tourists were under attack, so we (me and 5 friends) were about the only tourists in the country at the time, althought there were a load dragged off a coach and shot during our stay.

Other than that it was great (although a few scary moments) we went to Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel - driving through the Western Sahara was something else!! A word of warning, don't go on a nile cruise - a sure way to get sick - travel by land and hire a felucca for your Nile adventures. Cairo museum is excellent, Pyramids, Karnak temple, Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's Temple, Aswan and Elephantine Island are great places to just kick back and relax, and the temples of Ramesses and Hathor at Abu Simbel are a must - not just the excellence of ancient remains, but also the 1964 UNESCO engineering feat in rescuing them from the rising Lake Nasser.

And, hehe, my life seems to be sorting itself out too which is a bonus! Hectic though, but happy.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:50 PM   #15
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Hey! You went to the only continent I've never been too. Other than Anartica that is. Seems like you've enjoyed yourself even though you were sick.
I understand what you're saying about rl, I'm going to be going through some big changes soon. To many decisions to make, and i'm to lazy to make em all! *Sigh*
Glad to hear that things have slowed down a bit for you. And once again Welcome Back!

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
I've been planning to go to Africa proper for ages now.. The Sinai desert is sort of between the near east and africa, not sure if it counts? We flew into Israel, and then crossed the border into Egypt in a minibus. My mom was really annoyed about the Israel bit. I didn't tell her til I came back, cos I knew she'd do the clucky egg thing... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2002, 04:56 PM   #16
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I went to Egypt for 3 weeks over Xmas/New Year 1994-5 - and had a great time! Didn't get sick like you did, but I did get flu and missed the New Years party

This was when tourists were under attack, so we (me and 5 friends) were about the only tourists in the country at the time, althought there were a load dragged off a coach and shot during our stay.

Other than that it was great (although a few scary moments) we went to Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel - driving through the Western Sahara was something else!! A word of warning, don't go on a nile cruise - a sure way to get sick - travel by land and hire a felucca for your Nile adventures. Cairo museum is excellent, Pyramids, Karnak temple, Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's Temple, Aswan and Elephantine Island are great places to just kick back and relax, and the temples of Ramesses and Hathor at Abu Simbel are a must - not just the excellence of ancient remains, but also the 1964 UNESCO engineering feat in rescuing them from the rising Lake Nasser.

And, hehe, my life seems to be sorting itself out too which is a bonus! Hectic though, but happy.
HATSHEPSUT'S TEMPLE!!!!!WOWOWOWOWOOWOWOOWO

I have an amazing fictionalised account of her life, called Child of the Morning. It is just amazing, very powerful and poignant. Makes me cry every time. And it so evokes Egypt. And yes, I'd love to see ALL those places you list.

How do you mean, definitely get sick on a Nile trip? Do you mean tummy wise?

Tourists dragged off a coach and shot? How casually you mention it - you must have nerves of steel, Epona!
Old 03-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #17
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
HATSHEPSUT'S TEMPLE!!!!!WOWOWOWOWOOWOWOOWO

I have an amazing fictionalised account of her life, called Child of the Morning. It is just amazing, very powerful and poignant. Makes me cry every time. And it so evokes Egypt. And yes, I'd love to see ALL those places you list.

How do you mean, definitely get sick on a Nile trip? Do you mean tummy wise?

Tourists dragged off a coach and shot? How casually you mention it - you must have nerves of steel, Epona!
Yes, dodgy tummy - they're notorious, all those people on a boat with limited clean water for food preparation and hygeine and on the Nile with mosquitos everywhere - I'm not kidding when I say everyone gets sick!

I wasn't brave at all, I nearly pissed myself on more than one occassion - I'll elucidate if you're interested!!!

Hatshepsut's temple is great - looks like a 1960s concrete car park [img]tongue.gif[/img] and only 1 image survived the 'damnatio memoriae' which followed her death
Old 03-22-2002, 05:29 PM   #18
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

qb][/QUOTE]Yes, dodgy tummy - they're notorious, all those people on a boat with limited clean water for food preparation and hygeine and on the Nile with mosquitos everywhere - I'm not kidding when I say everyone gets sick!

I wasn't brave at all, I nearly pissed myself on more than one occassion - I'll elucidate if you're interested!!!

Hatshepsut's temple is great - looks like a 1960s concrete car park [img]tongue.gif[/img] and only 1 image survived the 'damnatio memoriae' which followed her death[/QB][/QUOTE]

Ooh, do elucidate! I can retaliate with tales of the 'potty' the bedouins gave me, when it became obvious that I couldn't go to the poo pit without getting shit all over myself....

The damnatio memoriae - yes. Couldn't cope with having a woman in charge. Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose... Is her temple not gorgeous then? From the descriptions in my book, it sounds fabulous. Terraces flowing one into the other, at varying heights... No?
Old 03-22-2002, 06:03 PM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

As you'll have guessed by the title, it's all about the world's richest country, Rather New Guinea, and the state sponsored terrorism that the country has been exporting around the globe since the second world war as the bastion of its foreign policy.
I don't know of any country called 'Rather New Guinea'.

Is it really 'Papua New Guinea'? or a fictional nation?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #20
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I don't know of any country called 'Rather New Guinea'.

Is it really 'Papua New Guinea'? or a fictional nation?
And so it seems that people are finally starting to notice a certain something....