Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-11-2002, 02:14 AM   #21
LennonCook
Jack Burton

IM not so sure about it being a telstra problem somehow... I did forget to mention that we have 2 computers which are networked... the one with all the modem drivers and ADSL stuff on it has WinXP... but my problem did start later then urs.
Can u give me the IP for www.ironworksforum.com so i can make sure it IS the same problem ??

BTW- concerning my experiment, I am downloading netscape as I type- different computer ofcourse. Ill let u know the results of this experiment when ive done it... give me about 10 minutes (ive got 2 internet connections running on the same phone line... slows things down alot) .

EDIT: I guess ill need a bit more time... ADSL just disconnected and i cant sign back in. But i know what the problem is- THE SECOND LIGHT FROM THE RIGHT OF THE MODEM AS U LOOK AT IT IS FLASHING!!! Now, for the benifit of those who dont have an ADSL modem handy to see what light im refering to, or those who know whatg it is but not what it means...

The second light is the Line Sync. If its flashing, there is a problem with the phoneline its plugged into. And theres nothing I can do- if u lose that second light, it is a line problem.

Which reminds me of a more recent encounter between Mum and the telstra "help"desk.
About a week ago, we had a problem connecting (right after the big storms- ull know what im talking about if u live in orange or cabonne shire). The second light was flashing, Mum didnt know what that meant... she rang the helpdesk. They had her unplugging the modem and plugging it back in, checking her IE settings, and agffter a couple of hours, they said theyd send a technician round- anywhere from that night to the followingg afternoon . He just climed up the post outside, and repaired the line- the storm had blown a cover off and a few wires where blowing about not connected. At least he didnt chrage us for it [img]smile.gif[/img] .

BUt ill try my experiment ASAP. I might have to point out the light to mum...

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: SookmaCook ]

Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 AM   #22
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
IM not so sure about it being a telstra problem somehow... I did forget to mention that we have 2 computers which are networked... the one with all the modem drivers and ADSL stuff on it has WinXP... but my problem did start later then urs.
Can u give me the IP for www.ironworksforum.com so i can make sure it IS the same problem ??

BTW- concerning my experiment, I am downloading netscape as I type- different computer ofcourse. Ill let u know the results of this experiment when ive done it... give me about 10 minutes (ive got 2 internet connections running on the same phone line... slows things down alot) .

IP is "24.26.79.51" . In DOS, type ping and the IP. if you CAN ping it, it is a DNS issue with your ISP. DNS is what resolves IP numbers into Dynamic Name Servers (DNS).

Try this: in your browser, enter http://24.26.79.51/index.shtml - if the forum front page comes up, it's DNS... You can't go anywhere from that frontpage though, because the forum is CGI and requires actual full URL calls..

Call the ISP and tell them you can ping us, but the name server is not coming up. they need to reissue a DNS update (Forced).. If they give you bullshit saying 'it must be on your end', drop them and go with a better ISP.

Let me know guys!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-11-2002, 03:25 AM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
IM not so sure about it being a telstra problem somehow...

I am glad to tell you that you are totally wrong, Sookma. It IS a Telstra problem but I just fixed it!!! I am BACK!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime Telstra's helpdesk is still undoubtedly scratching its head, trying to work out what's going on.

Try entering this alternative DNS server: 61.9.192.16. To change in Windows go to Networks, then select TCP/IP then enter the DNS server address manually. It will work!

I'm so HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2002, 03:30 AM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

IP is "24.26.79.51" . In DOS, type ping and the IP. if you CAN ping it, it is a DNS issue with your ISP. DNS is what resolves IP numbers into Dynamic Name Servers (DNS).

Try this: in your browser, enter http://24.26.79.51/index.shtml - if the forum front page comes up, it's DNS... You can't go anywhere from that frontpage though, because the forum is CGI and requires actual full URL calls..

Call the ISP and tell them you can ping us, but the name server is not coming up. they need to reissue a DNS update (Forced).. If they give you bullshit saying 'it must be on your end', drop them and go with a better ISP.

Let me know guys!!

You were dead right, mate. Unfortunately there's only one broadband provider here, and they happen to be half-owned by the government.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Old 01-11-2002, 03:45 AM   #25
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Better than ADSL ?? i WISH!!

ADSL is basically the equivalent of DSL over there. Except its assimetrical. Dont ask me WHAT that means, but i can tell u this:

The modem is not set up like a modem- more like a computer BlackBox- it is NEEDED for ADSL, and cant be used for anything else. This tells us that the ISP is extremely reliable- Telstra has ALOT of money, (main phone company over here- must have been glad about the OneTel collapse). They must spend all the thousands of dollars allowed for ADSL on reliability- not use with any modem, not advertising (ive never seen ANY adds for it)...

The technology Negotiates UP aswell as DOWN. Most modems only negotiate down.

It is EXTREMELY fast- sits on something like 10mb/s . But apparently thats just the speed of something else...

And finally, UNLIMITED HOURS, UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS, and not all that expensive (we have Iprimus- when it was out main ISP, we were in heaven with using it, hell with the financial side- not such a problem now that Mum and Dad both work... although thsts mainly to fund our new house... )

But Im trying something with the ADSL now to get it back on (line problem), i just rang Mum, her instructions (which im willing to believe in for once) wereL turn off the computer and the Modem for a full minute, turn the modem on and wait until the light goes green, turn the computer back on.

Im hoping it works!!! Ill fees the pets (only 4 cats and a dog) while im waiting i guess... thatl give it 10 minutes which is at least ine full minute!!!

But, Nag Mode Off- im pretty sure it WILL work actually, because ive got our laptop plugged in on the same line. No problems with it, and weve had them both on at once before. Ah well. *crosses fingers*
Old 01-11-2002, 04:30 AM   #26
LennonCook
Jack Burton

OK, thx for the news Memnoch. I think im going to have to get a techi in though... after several reboots its still negoyiating thew line.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:23 AM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:

ADSL is basically the equivalent of DSL over there. Except its assimetrical. Dont ask me WHAT that means

It means that upload time is not the same as download time.

quote:

And finally, UNLIMITED HOURS, UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS, and not all that expensive (we have Iprimus- when it was out main ISP, we were in heaven with using it, hell with the financial side- not such a problem now that Mum and Dad both work... although thsts mainly to fund our new house... )

Not quite with Telstra. They've put in a 3Gb cap, and usage above that will be charged.

Old 01-11-2002, 10:26 AM   #28
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

You were dead right, mate. Unfortunately there's only one broadband provider here, and they happen to be half-owned by the government.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

A little secret--If this ever happens again: You can use ANY ISP's DNS entries on your PC. Many I speak to use Mindspring's DNS entries, yet use Roadrunner Cablemodem.. It works, and isn't against the law or anything either. You just need to know the ISP's Primary and Secondary DNS entries. a 'Whois' will show you most times..

Glad they FINALLY admitted to being wrong, and you're back!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-11-2002, 07:45 PM   #29
LennonCook
Jack Burton

OK, Can someone tell me how to change the DNS in WinME ?? I have got the other comp running with ADSL signed in, and have tried the IP- it worked, thus making it the same problem, with the same solution.
So can someone help me with this ?? I dont want to be stuck using a laptop until Telstra stops scratching the Government half of its head (and that could take a while- as far as i can see, HOward is worse with what he gets the government to do then even Bush!!!)

EDIT: Ok, just told mum the solution. "We shouldnt have to do that. And it can slow down the service. We should be able to get everywhere. We shouldnt have to do that"
I know we shouldnt have to do that, but we do have to as far as we can see, its the only solution!!!

She says if it isnt fixed by Monday well ring telstra. Its been going on for over a week now!!! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] And ihate this laptop!! I cant move the mouse too fast (and too fast on this is about 1 tenth of my usual speed) or i lose it !! it just disapears!! I cant WAIT until i can get back on the good computer... ahwell at least i dont have to use a *anounces with venom*Mac.

Old 01-12-2002, 05:38 AM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
OK, Can someone tell me how to change the DNS in WinME ?? I have got the other comp running with ADSL signed in, and have tried the IP- it worked, thus making it the same problem, with the same solution.
So can someone help me with this ?? I dont want to be stuck using a laptop until Telstra stops scratching the Government half of its head (and that could take a while- as far as i can see, HOward is worse with what he gets the government to do then even Bush!!!)

EDIT: Ok, just told mum the solution. "We shouldnt have to do that. And it can slow down the service. We should be able to get everywhere. We shouldnt have to do that"
I know we shouldnt have to do that, but we do have to as far as we can see, its the only solution!!!

She says if it isnt fixed by Monday well ring telstra. Its been going on for over a week now!!! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] And ihate this laptop!! I cant move the mouse too fast (and too fast on this is about 1 tenth of my usual speed) or i lose it !! it just disapears!! I cant WAIT until i can get back on the good computer... ahwell at least i dont have to use a *anounces with venom*Mac.

Sookma, I gave you the DNS server you can use...61.9.192.16. You need to:
  • Click on Network Connections in your Control Panel (in XP)
  • Click on Telstra Bigpond Broadband
  • click on Properties
  • Click on Networking
  • double click on TCP/IP
  • key in 61.9.192.16 as your preferred DNS server
  • reboot your PC.

This resolved the domain name for me.