Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-31-2001, 11:08 PM   #11
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Moni (and the rest of you): Just so you'll know, the "real McCoy" version will be in stores on November 15! Just 15 more days to go!!!!

Cheers,
That rocks!
I'll be counting the days! See you in the Wiz 8 forum, Saz!

I'm still running on a 56k modem here. DL is 32% finished and it is bedtime.
I'm using DAP though and it is resumable, so I'll start it back up before I go to school in the morning. It ought to be done by the time I get home!

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too

Old 11-01-2001, 03:04 PM   #12
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Wizardry was the first electronic D&D style game I ever played. I bought a Nintendo gaming system (original) just to play it! I named all my characters after people on "Cheers!" Norm, Cliff, Sam, Woody, and Coach are capable of kicking an amazing amount of rump, given the proper tools! It seems like the spell I worked the whole game to get was called "Tiltowatt".

I don't know why I never bought any of the other games in the Wizardry series! I've down loaded the demo for 8 and plan on giving it a try.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 11-01-2001, 05:47 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

OK, guys, got some screenshots for you from the Demo here:

The first is a shot of the screen with all character faces shown. The play screen is smaller in this case, showing the treasure chest.

This shot is the entrance to the demo level, the abandoned temple.

One of the first group of monsters you have to fight in the temple is a group of slimes. This is a good shot of how a ranged attack will work. In Wizardry 8, attacks are "phased", meaning that in each round, characters can either move forward or use range attacks; opponents will do likewise. The default combat option is the "turn-based" one rather than real-time, although real-time (continuous) combat is also supported.

Ouch! Small spiders ambush the party by throwing webs at them. You never know when something's going to sneak up on your rear, so be careful when entering rooms and make sure to look everywhere.

After the combat, an examination of the room. Notice the detailing involved. Small treasure caches lie in corners, so one has to be careful to search well.

Heh...while I was taking the last "Kodak moment", a group of bats decided to investigate. As in the Baldur's Gate games and Icewind Dale, one gets to select each character's actions before starting the round. The characters keep those "default" actions until you pause (continuous play) or until the round is over (turn-based).

Well, you can tell what I'm going to be doing over the next few weeks! Hope some of you decide to try it out and see how it runs for yourself. It looks to be great! Look for the full version in stores starting November 15 (at least in the US).

Cheers,

------------------

Welcome to Ironworks...over 4100 happy members and one old buzzard!
Old 11-01-2001, 05:53 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

Wow that looks cool, but 150 MB!!! wahh
I guess I'll just wait for some magazine to feature it on their disc...

------------------
Old 11-01-2001, 05:57 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, Jorath Calar, if you have a 56K modem, it's going to probably be a 9 hour or so download. If you can "trick" your ISP into keeping you online (like checking for e-mail every 10 mins), you can start the download in the evening and hopefully get it the next morning after you wake up.

------------------

Welcome to Ironworks...over 4100 happy members and one old buzzard!
Old 11-01-2001, 06:48 PM   #16
Tananda
Elminster

Thanks for the link and for the pictures, Saz!
Looks really wonderful.
I'm downloading this demo right now, but this is going to be a VERY long process, because of dial-up connection .

Can you tell, please, is there character generation in the demo, or we have to deal with the pre-made party? I've heard (or read somewhere) that character generation in Wiz8 is uncredibly involving thing.

------------------
Tanda,
Assassin
White Dragoness of The Dragoons Of The Wind
Old 11-01-2001, 11:04 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Per Tananda's question:

1) No character gen in the demo...it ships with 6 pregen characters, all at level 5. You can start play pretty well immediately.

2) Character gen is supposedly going to be a lot less "hairy" in Wiz 8 than it was in the previous versions of Wizardry. It can be fairly entailed, as well. In the demo, you can't change the portraits or sound files, but you can do so in the real game. You will also be able to customize portraits and sounds if you like such as in the Black Isle games...to an extent, from what I understand.

Cheers,

------------------

Welcome to Ironworks...over 4200 happy members and one old buzzard!
Old 11-01-2001, 11:44 PM   #18
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

DAMN!!! It's 150 meg and on my 56k that'd take days to download! Damn, damn and double damn!

-Jafin

P.S. I apologize if I offended anyone with my excessive use of the word damn

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
The not-so-secret admirer of Lioness
Mage of the Court of Lady Lioness
Midnight Mage of the TOTS Clan
Old 11-02-2001, 04:01 AM   #19
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Jafin - not days, just 14 hours - looks to be worth the effort though (after then also needing to get a new ^MB graphics drier and 8 MB DirectX8a . Blind persistance wins out .

------------------

Ironworks Revolutionary Splitter wannabe
Founding Member, and General Demands Adviser of the O.R.T.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:08 AM   #20
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Hey Saz, for those of us who haven't played Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, could you possibly enlighten us as to what happened during that game so that we might better understand that which happens in Wizardry 8, also, could you please tell us of anything which has an effect on the Wizardry 8 storyline which has happened during Wizardry 1-6? I like to know such things.