Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-11-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

It seems difficult to avoid getting hit. Although the game is not amazingly hard for me so far, I do find myself being hit harder and more often than in IWD1 at a comparable level.

So how do you avoid taking damage? I use the standard spells (Sleep, Web, Stinking Cloud, etc) to divide and conquer, I run around with monks and rogues, I have good stats, and I focus fire or focus attack on targets to drop them as quickly as possible.

Is the game genuinely harder in this respect than IWD1, or am I missing things? I find myself chugging potions and burning 2/3 of my 2 clerics' spells on healing in order to get through 75-100% of one level in the goblin warrens without resting (or dying).
Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

If you can't stop them from damaging you, damage them faster. And some spells are quire handy here, like Luck, or Prot from Evil, and the obvious Shield, Mage Armor, Death Armor. And yes, the game is harder thn IWD1.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

It's the tanks that are getting hurt; my wizards and archers take little to no damage. Stand-up fighting is a recipe for pain, at least in the pre-stoneskin part of the game.

I use Protection from Evil fairly often, but the duration is the pits. Edit: I also cast Bull's Strength on my two tanks (F/Barb and Monk) right after resting.

Perhaps I need to use the monk's stunning attack more often - so far I've mostly used it on casters and other key enemies (like orcs beating on the war drums), but it could be devastating in general melee in combination with the Ftr/Barb's (and monk's) power attack.

[ 02-11-2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 02-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

In general, I've found that you take more damage in this game than you did in the first game. Therefore, you must rest more often.

If you think they hit often now, wait until HoF. Unless you have around 70+armor class, they will NEVER miss.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Vassago
Manshoon

@Aerich,
Blur & Mirror Image are good spells for your tank too. Monk's stunning fist can come in handy when you're badly out numbered and can't cut them down quick enough.

Post your stats and eqiup for your two tanks and we can probably offer more advice.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Aren't Blur and Mirror Image caster-only spells? My monk isn't a svirfneblin.

I haven't had anybody die yet, but the reason I asked the question was because of the difference between IWD1 and IWD2. I'm not used to needing potions in combat to stay alive.

Off the top of my head, I believe the stats and equipment are:

Fighter/Barbarian 4/2 (gold dwarf) - Axe +1, 2-h axe, the funky bludgeoning axe. Splint armour (iirc), and shield. Feats - Cleave, Power Attack, WF: Axe, WS: Axe, Iron Will, Dodge.
Str 19
Dex 14
Con 20
Int 6
Wis 12
Cha 6

Monk 5 (Aasimar) - fist, sling. No armour, Sash of the Black Raven, Lucky Knucky. Feats - Dodge, Dirty Fighting.
Str 18
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 4
Wis 21
Cha 4

I cast strength enhancers on both of them at the beginning of each "active" period. I also make good use of power attack.

[ 02-11-2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 02-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Vassago
Manshoon

@Aerich,
Sorry, made a bad assumption

Ok, your Monk isn't strong enough to fight w/ just his fists. Since he does have a point in Axes, give him Axe +1 and have your Fighter/Barb use the 2 hander. I would also consider giving your Monk Power Attack and Cleave. Other than that, you've got yourself a pretty good frontline.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hmm. Come to think of it, I believe the monk has power attack as well, but he should only have 2 feats atm. Maybe I gave him PA instead of Dodge.

I do cast Bull's Strength on him every day, for a modified Str of 22 or so. I've been using him in tandem with missile/casting characters to take out archers and spellcasters; that's part of the reason why I often switch the F/Barb away from the two hander (aside from non-magical weapon-resistant enemies) - the shield helps him avoid a bit of damage until I cut the odds enough to focus fire on melee enemies. Maybe I should go with the offense-first mentality instead.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
Calagari
Manshoon

I read your post as I did many others before I created my party. I didn't think much about it while I was in prologue as I zoomed right through it. But now I am in chapter 1 and find myself reloading quite often. This game is much harder than 1 and less fun so far. These darn groups of orcs are a bit too much all at one time.
I have taken to retreating to a better position to keep from being hit on more than one side, That seems to help some. Overall I think the game is nicer looking but much harder to play. So you are not the only one with this problem. I am only using a 4 member party also. Perhaps with 6 members It would be easier Just more management on my part.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
Calagari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vassago:
@Aerich,
Sorry, made a bad assumption

Ok, your Monk isn't strong enough to fight w/ just his fists. Since he does have a point in Axes, give him Axe +1 and have your Fighter/Barb use the 2 hander. I would also consider giving your Monk Power Attack and Cleave. Other than that, you've got yourself a pretty good frontline.
How strong does a Monk have to be to fight with just his fists?
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote