Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Is Power word: Kill useless? I mean, when is the last time that you've gotten a monster worthy of wasting a level 9 spell slot on down to 60hp and not had a more cost effective method of destroying it? And how would you know if it was at the appropriate hp?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I do use Power Word:Kill as it quickly finishes off an enemy without me worrying about THAC0, Magic Resistance or Saving Throws.

As for how would I know when to use it... that is what my custom AI Scripts are for.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

in my opinion, yes it is usless, but there isnt that many 9th level spells in the game anyway so i dont think you'd be able to fill all the slots on the page any ways. does anyone know how many 9th level spells there are?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Yeah, it is I guess. When you get to the level that you can smash something down that far and still have a amage alive, you can just hack at it some more.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Some people may use an older character to start a solo game on HoF. Than it would not be so useless. I always start out on level one but have never solo with a mage. So going through the game once normal and reusing a mage to solo on HoF could be a possibility were the Kill spell would be very handy.

[ 03-16-2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Some people may use an older character to start a solo game on HoF. Than it would not be so useless. I always start out on level one but have never solo with a mage. So going through the game once normal and reusing a mage to solo on HoF could be a possibility were the Kill spell would be very handy.
I haven't tried HoF yet, but don't goblins and other beginning enemies have over 100 hp? Even if they are vulnerable, I would rather use the multiple AoE spells that are undoubtedly available to a high level mage.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

100hp? are you sure?. I ran a party though Hof once. and i dont remember the goblins being *that* difficult. it was a long time ago tough so i dunno.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
Midget Gems

Right now I'd love to have a couple of scrolls for Power Word: Kill for my Level 1 Gnome Mage to use - it has to be better than firing one Magic Missile at a time.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Eugen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Midget, are you still in DE5? If so you have just walk to malavon for one scroll. Not much, just two-three chapters [img]smile.gif[/img]
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:00 AM   #10
Midget Gems

Too right, but I won't be in DE5 much longer, we're nearly finished!

Just to change the subject a little - since I cast most of my magic straight from scroll I have noticed a few odd things. Sometimes the spell from the scroll is better than I expect for my Level. For example Magic Missile cast from memory give one missile but when cast from scroll fires off several missiles. Also I get 3 or 4 Mirror Images and I remember getting a 'stun' effect from Chromatic Orb. Could it be that the strength of the spell is based on XP rather than Level? I wouldn't expect it to be, but playing in a way that was not envisaged can result in some unexpected side-effects.