Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-17-2001, 11:55 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Yay! Now that I have finished Robin Hood, time to finally play my 3rd Sorcerer from SoA to ToB.

Spells in bold have been selected already, spells listed in order of selection.

Stats: At the moment,
  • Str: 12
  • Dex: 15
  • Con: 18
  • Int: 18
  • Wis: 16
  • Cha: 12[/list]
    He's going to be a Party Sorcerer, not a Solo Sorcerer by the way.

Level 1
    • Chromatic Orb
    • Magic Missile
    • Identify
    • Protection from Petrification
    • Blindness[/list]
        Level 2
      • Mirror Image
      • Resist Fear
      • Melf's Acid Arrow
      • Detect Invisibility
      • Agannazar's Scorcher[/list]
          Level 3
        • Dispel Magic
        • Melf's Minute Meteors
        • Flame Arrow
        • Fireball
        • Slow[/list]
            Level 4
          • Minor Sequencer
          • Stoneskin
          • Greater Malison
          • Emotion
          • Wizard Eye[/list]
              Level 5
            • Breach
            • Animate Dead
            • Lower Resistance
            • Spell Immunity
            • Hold Monster[/list]
                Level 6
              • Contingency
              • Mislead
              • Protection from Magical Energy
              • Chain Lightning
              • Death Spell[/list]
                  Level 7
                • Spell Sequencer
                • Khelben's Warding Whip
                • Finger of Death
                • Mordenkainen's Sword
                • Mass Invisibility[/list]
                    Level 8
                  • Spell Trigger
                  • Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
                  • Maze
                  • Simulacrum[/list]
                      Level 9
                    • Chain Contingency
                    • Spellstrike
                    • Time Stop
                    • Wish[/list]
                      Of course, all the Lvl 10 spells as well.

Equipment-wise,

Robe of Vecna, nuff said.
                      Circlet of Netheril, +10 Hp, +1 to Lvl 7 and 8 spells.
                      Amulet of Power, nuff said.
                      Ring of Acuity, +2 to Lvl 2 spells, +1 to Lvl 3 and 4 spells.
                      Ring of Wizardry, +1 to Lvl 5, 6 and 7 spells.
                      Cloak of Mirroring, it may not reflect back anymore, but it is still very good.
                      Boots of Speed, nuff said.
                      Belt of Inertial Barrier, may consider Str Girdles.

Staff of Magi, nuff said.
                      Slings, Darts, whatever.

By the way, I know it's possible to have two Rings of Wizardry without cheating, but I want my students to live.

Okey dokey, that's what I have planned. Any comments?

Thanks for reading.

------------------
                      If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
                      Baldur's Gate Item Mart

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 08-25-2001).]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 04:30 AM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

Theres no need to have a con of 18 as it gives no hp bonus. And limited wish is pretty useless so get sommething else like delyaed blast fireball. Shapechange and chain contingency arnt really worth it, id go for power word:kill and wish.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:29 AM   #3
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

a very good selection of spells, but there are a few spells I'd have chosen differently...
- level 5: I never found Hold monster to be of much use, I'd probably get Chaos.
- level 6: Protection from magical energy is useless once you get the Cloak of mirroring. if you're going to have Keldorn in your party then you also don't need True Sight, and the Thieve's hood allows yet another of your characters to cast it.
I'd take Death spell (great against hordes of lesser enemies, like Umber Hulks...) and Pierce magic. I'd also give up Chain lighting for Protection from magical weapons.
- level 8: with Spellstrike and Pierce magic (if you take it), you don't really need Pierce shield anymore, so you might want to consider Protection from energy (great for countering dragon's breath).
- level 9: I don't know about Shapechange - once you get to high enough level to actually have lvl 9 spells it seems like a downgrade to turn into one of those creatures. besides, none of the forms it allows can hope to survive in melee combat once you get to ToB. I recomend Wish or Absolute Immunity.

and do ignore one of the things Dramnek_Ulk wrote - Chain contingency is a MUST
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 07:02 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... ... true that, I'm Lawful Good by the way, and Keldorn is going to be in my party, so I guess I can remove True Sight.

I guess I will replace True Sight with Death Spell then.

By the way, is it true you can get Chain Contigencies and Shapechange from Limited Wish? That would free up two slots, for Wish and something else.

I do not have protection spells in Lvl 7-8 because I only use Spell Trigger and Minor Spell Sequencer for defensive spells. I have Protection from Magical Energy because it protects from Area of Effect, except poison of course.

Hold monster has it's uses, it's very good against animalistic monsters and 'normal' humanoids.

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-18-2001, 08:05 AM   #5
Drawde1
The Magister

Hold Monster can be absolutely LETHAL against powerful monsters like demons, assuming it gets through their Magic Resistance. I don't think it works on dragons though.
If you have a Druid in your party, Nymphs (Call Woodland Beings) can also cast Hold Monster.
Drawde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 11:33 AM   #6
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

I've read that Cloak of mirroring DOES protect against area of effect spells. it's not supposed to, but it seems it does. I've read it in several posts on the gamebanshee forum.

and yes, you can get a Chain Contingency from the Wish spell, but it's a one-time-only wish. not sure about getting Shapechange through (Limited) Wish though...
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 11:00 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

If I recall correctly, Cloak of Mirroring only protects against things like Chain Lightning or Fireball if the spell is casted on the person wearing it. Not 100% sure though, but I do know I still get damage during fights with Mages, so something can bypass Cloak of Mirroring.

Unless one of the mages threw a Dart or something, nasty fiends.

Limited Wish can only be used once for Chain Contingency? I see, thanks. I guess that means Chain Contingency will remain in my spell list. I considered Shapechange because the idea of Time-stopping, morphing into a Mind-Flayer and brain-sucking enemies to death, was appealing. However, I guess I will choose Wish instead, the ability to recharge spells is way, way, too appealing.

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-19-2001, 12:16 AM   #8
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
Theres no need to have a con of 18 as it gives no hp bonus. And limited wish is pretty useless so get sommething else like delyaed blast fireball. Shapechange and chain contingency arnt really worth it, id go for power word:kill and wish.
Chain Contingency may not be worth it for a sorcerer, as you only need to cast it once in a while, but definetely buy the scroll whenever possible to be able to use it.

I would drop Shapechange and Chain Contingency for Powerword: Kill and Meteor Swarm.

Blur would probably go over Aganazar's for me.

Drop Minor Sequencer from your 4th's. There are better spells to have.

For 5ths, Breach, Lower Resistance and Spell Immunity are key. I would consider other options instead of Animate Dead and Hold Monster. If you have clerics and druids both these spells can be accomplished through their magic.

For 6ths, drop contingency and just buy the spells when you can. Take Pierce Magic instead. Someone said Prot. from Magical Energy is useless once you get the Cloak of Mirroring, but this is untrue, as it doesn't protect you from area effect spells like Horrid Wilting (which can be a real killer.)

For 7ths I would get rid of Limited Wish and Spell Sequencer - these spells simply aren't used enough to demand a spell slot. Buy the scrolls.

Your 8th level spells look pretty good, except maybe Spell Trigger.

All of this, of course, would be what I'd do to my Sorcerer, but hope it helps you weigh your options a bit.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux

[This message has been edited by trux (edited 08-19-2001).]
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 01:23 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Wellll, truth be told, I always have Contingencies and Sequencers.

Here's what I put in them,

Minor Spell Sequencer, Mirror Image and Resist Fear.
Spell Sequencer, Greater Malison, Emotion and Flame Arrow.
Spell Trigger, Spell Immunity, Protection from Magical Energy and Misled.

Contingency, Dispel Magic when helpless, great when confused or stunned.
Chain Contingency, 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting when helpless and directed to nearest enemy, heh heh, let's see who has the last laugh.

For Animate Undead, I use this spell a lot( after Lvl 15), for fights against Mages because of their extremely high Magic Resistance. Great for tanking against Mind Flayers and Umber Hulks too.

I did consider Blur, but I found myself using it very little towards the later Chapters, so I decided to drop it. Very few things engaged my Sorcerer in melee anyway.

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-19-2001, 01:43 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh and I finally updated the list above.

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart