Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-23-2001, 03:16 PM   #1
Max Power
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For some reason BG2 is the most unstable game I've ever played. When I'm in a big battle I'm more worried about the game crashing than me dying. It will either minimize and be "not responding" or "Assertion failed in ChDataType(?) at line 250" or occasionally it just freezes. Would the unsupported resolutions be a cause of this? (I've got it on 1024x768).

All my drivers are updated and all that. The only other thing I can think of is my processors are overclocked and when the sun is out, the comp gets pretty hot which increasing the frequency of the crashes. I've never had this happen on any other game I've played.

It's really annoying when I get halfway through a big fight (multiple times) in good shape and then have to start over.

Anyone else have this problem or know of it's cause (even if it can't be fixed)?

------------------
"Max Power doesn't abbreviate, each letter is as important as the one before it.. maybe even MORE important.. no, as important" -Homer Simpson
Old 07-23-2001, 05:03 PM   #2
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

BG2 has only crashed once or twice in my 50+ hours of gameplay. And then it usually just hangs, mouse cursor stops moving and needs a cold reboot.

I'm assuming you have the latest patch? And if you really think its caused by overclocking, clock your processor and/or video card down and see if you still get crashes.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but it is something in your configuration, cause BG2 isn't that unstable.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Seid
Manshoon

The unsupported resolution can cause that, because it's not supported. That means nobody tested it for compatibility with this game.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:24 PM   #4
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I have never had BG II crash on me in all the many many hours I have played it but then again I have never run the unsupported resolutions.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:49 PM   #5
DarkTemplar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

BG2 is one of the MOST stable games i have played.......

------------------
Those who ph33r the darkness have never seen what the light can do
Old 07-24-2001, 01:22 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power:
For some reason BG2 is the most unstable game I've ever played. When I'm in a big battle I'm more worried about the game crashing than me dying. It will either minimize and be "not responding" or "Assertion failed in ChDataType(?) at line 250" or occasionally it just freezes.

Would the unsupported resolutions be a cause of this? (I've got it on 1024x768).

Yes they would be. You can't really say it's unstable if you're using an unsupported resolution - that's like putting a lot of mods into your game and then saying that it crashes all the time.

I think you will experience almost zero crashes if you use a supported resolution. Slowdown, yes. Crashes, hardly ever.

------------------
Old 07-24-2001, 02:17 AM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I've never experienced any game stability problems with BG2. Why not try one of the 'official' resolutions (say, 800 x 600) and see if the problems go away?
If it doesn't at least you know it's not the higher resolution that is causing the crash.
My screen resolution is 1024 x 768, but I play BG2 at 800 x 600.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-24-2001, 02:22 AM   #8
Max Power
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Yes they would be. You can't really say it's unstable if you're using an unsupported resolution.
Well, I *could* say it's unstable but I can't blame Black Isle for it. I just like to push all my stuff to it's limit.

I'll try it with the supported resolutions and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

------------------
"Max Power doesn't abbreviate, each letter is as important as the one before it.. maybe even MORE important.. no, as important" -Homer Simpson
Old 07-24-2001, 02:22 AM   #9
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

Sometimes my game crash when i leave rooms or buildings. Can the patch fix this?

------------------
Might makes right.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:35 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Check to see if it's on the list of bugs fixed. www.bioware.com

------------------