Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Radek,

Thanks for clearing up about pixies being able to use any equipment their class can use, as long as they have the strength and carrying capacity. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In the Wizardry games, fairies have racial limits on what they can use, even if they have lots of strength. Until you posted, I wasn't completely sure W&W pixies didn't have similar restrictions.

My current party does have two pixies, a rogue and a priest, and my future plans for them are mostly Warlock/Monk/Ninja roles, so carrying capacity and heavy equipment shouldn't be major issues for them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question for you great folks: [img]smile.gif[/img]

According to the official mini-guide that came with my game, one disadvantage of becoming a Warlock is that the character can no longer advance in combat abilities.

However, I saw a post here that says they can continue to advance normally in Kung Fu (assuming they learned it in a previous role).

So how does this actually work: if I ascend a Monk or Ninja to a Warlock, will they still be able to continue developing their Monk/Ninja combat skills normally?

What I'm trying to decide is the best role order to develop my Pixies:

Priest -> Monk -> Warlock or Priest -> Warlock -> Monk

and

Rogue -> Ninja -> Warlock or Rogue -> Bard -> Warlock -> Ninja

(I don't want to use guild hopping or restarts to shorcut the role ascensions.)

For the Rogue, I may put a period as a Ranger, Samurai, or Paladin in there too (before becoming a Warlock), to gain another spell book.

Basically, I want the characters to be primarily a Monk or Ninja, but with more spell casting options.

I understand that the Monk/Ninja will only be able to learn non-native spells at half their level, so the Warlock might be a bettter final role if they can continue learning and using the Monk/Ninja skills normally.

[ 04-01-2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: DinkumThinkum ]
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

By the end of the game, you won't be worried too much about how much you're advancing in these skills. Once you're at level 7 in a combat skill, you're pretty much unstoppable (max being 14, with enlightenment).

Radek mentioned above that skills advance as you use them... so your warlock fighting with his or her hands will increase kung fu skill. But the rate of increase is so slow at higher levels that I find it easier to just train in it when I get the chanec.

The only thing to worry about for learning non-native spells is to make sure you get the level 7 spells while they're native. Otherwise, you can't get them until they become native or the game is almost over. A ninja with Sun 12 can learn 6th level spells... so the penalty becomes moot.

Remember, there's no right or wrong way to play the game. Just have fun, and you will have succeeded. And you can play again (and again, and again, and... ) and try out different combinations. I'm thinking a party of Oomphaz rogues could be interesting...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Radek mentioned above that skills advance as you use them... so your warlock fighting with his or her hands will increase kung fu skill. But the rate of increase is so slow at higher levels that I find it easier to just train in it when I get the chanec.
That's not quite what I was asking about. [img]smile.gif[/img]

According to the official mini-guide:

"By choosing the path of the Warlock a character concentrates entirely on magic losing advancement in all combat abilities."

(I'm one of those nutcases who actually read manuals...)

To me, that makes it sound like once a character ascends to Warlock they can't develop their combat skills any more. I'm asking if that's true or if it's just an error in the documentation.
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Well, I'm not completely certain. I haven't watched what happens to weapon skills because frankly, I train them at the guilds instead of building them with skill points. Those skill points are far more valuable for things like sorcery, gallantry, and prowess than they are for weapons, IMHO. I know that you can still train in them at the guilds, and you can still apply skill points to them... I'm just not sure about the natural progression.

If you want to find out, here's an easy way: train your warlock's primary weapon to the next level.

When you level up again, check to see how much gold it would cost to raise it up (or to what percentage a skill point would increase it). But don't train or use a skill point.

Check those again at the next level (assuming that yon warlock occasionally uses that primary weapon), and see if they're different. If they are, then you gain as you go, even in weapons.

If not, then keep tracking until you've completed four or five level-ups and proven that there's no advancement.

Enjoy [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 04-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #15
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

If the skills can be trained at the guilds or advanced with points at level up, that answers what I was trying to ask. Guess I wasn't being too clear.

(I was reading the mini-guide as saying that the skills were frozen: couldn't be advanced at all.)

Part of the reason for my questions is that most of my gaming for several years has been in very familiar game systems: Morrowind, Might & Magic VI, VII, VIII, and Wizardry 8.

I just finished up Wiz 8 a few days before jumping into W&W. Some things in W&W are very similar to the Wizardry series, but others are completely different, so I'm having to recalibrate my brain to keep things straight. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No worries [img]smile.gif[/img] Sometimes some of us have been playing the game for so long that we can make even the simplest question overly complicated

I'm also a big fan of the MM series, and somewhat of Wizardry, as are many others here. You're not alone... As long as you can remember the proper way to attack in whatever game you're playing, you'll do just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 04-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #17
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Although a trait is indigenous to a specific race, it does not necessarily mean that others cannot acquire it. For instance the snakeskin trait indigenous to lizzords can be acquired during the course of the game. And then, of course, there is the W&W trainer with which you can create characters with all the capabilities you like. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #18
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
As long as you can remember the proper way to attack in whatever game you're playing, you'll do just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]
To be honest, that's what's turning out to be my biggest hassle in W&W so far: getting used to the combat system.

The majority of my gaming has been turn-based and phased-combat RPGs, and the 'Adaptive Time-Phasing' system in W&W is driving me nuts. To me, it feels more like arcade style 'clickity-click' than any kind of turn-based system.

I was investigating a room in the crypt, and some monsters charged in and started attacking my party. Before I even got to do anything about it, one of my characters was dead. Similar things have happened before.

If the problem is that my chararacters are low level and are just a lot slower than the monsters right now, I can live with that: level them up, increase their Agility, etc. and the problem solves itself.

But if the problem is the reaction time, reflexes, etc. of the guy at the keyboard, then W&W and I aren't going to get along too well. I do enjoy planning, tactical combat, thinking things out, etc. in games. But when my reflexes, speed, etc. are a significant factor in a game I just get bored and frustrated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm thinking about timing: what's the best way to pause the game? I've already discovered that opening up inventory, looking at the map, etc. don't work. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Right now I either go to the Options menu or the Save game menu, both of which do seem to stop the game. Are those the standard solutions, or is their a better way of putting the game on hold?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #19
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

Another question I keep forgetting to ask:

Some spells, traits, etc. are described as affecting 'nearby party members'. What is meant by 'nearby party members?

For example, one of my warriors is a human with the Natural Leader trait, and I normally have her in the first position in the marching order (she's the toughest character). Will she inspire everybody in the party from the first position, just the character next to her (in position two), or what?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Don't worry, mate. W&W is *not* a game where your physical keyboard and mouse skills become critical. True, there is a fair bit of mouse clicking to attack, but that's about it.

Checking the back of my manual, it shows that you can hit "T" as a real-time toggle switch. I don't recall if I've tried it before or not, but you might look at that.

Basically, the only thing that screws me up in combat is when someone is set to cast a magic spell or someone just used something. Some o' them critters require you to click on a target, and my computer has been known to beep and hiss at me a dozen times before I realize it. I leave everyone set at their favorite weapon except for the main character, who has the map up. From either spot, you can immediately attack... as soon as you can spin around.

There are a fair number of random encounters, depending on your game setting (easy, medium, or hard). I always play on hard with maximum difficulty -- more points that way, or so I think. It's not like other games (Wizardry, for example) where the hard setting means that every step can easily be your last.
-+-+-+