Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>This is what I learned recently from a guy where I bought a movie...hehe...

The two new DVD formats are coming out this year.

HD DVD, owned by Microsoft and has a few people like WB supporting...
Blue Laser DVD, owned by Sony and a lot of support from others.

Word has it, the HD DVD is more expensive and not as good as Blue Light, though HD is still higher up than standard. HD DVDs only matter if you have a HD TV.

Blue Light DVD players will be around $600, and will play older DVDs.
Old Players will not read the new disks.

If you would like to add anything here, please do. I am basing this whole post on a guy's verbal explanation to me...but have only skimmed the internet for any confirmations...</font>
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I hope that some 3rd parties will make players that can do both. I don't really want to see movies that are only viewable by people with the correct video player. Are HDDVDs usable with XBox360s? Because I thought that Blue Laser was going to be the format for PS3.

This is all based on vague recollections of something I read like 6 months ago, so I could be way off base.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Yay! The 2 firms try and tear the shit out of each other, with us as the benefactors!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
I hope that some 3rd parties will make players that can do both. I don't really want to see movies that are only viewable by people with the correct video player. Are HDDVDs usable with XBox360s? Because I thought that Blue Laser was going to be the format for PS3.

This is all based on vague recollections of something I read like 6 months ago, so I could be way off base.
<font color=skyblue>You are right...Blue Laser Tech will be in the PS3.
I do not know what the XBox uses.</font>
Old 03-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

Or the movie companies make versions for both.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Maybe, but that costs money. I wouldn't be surprised to see one become the fave of entertainment companies - probably BlueLaser because of Sony's holdings in the entertainment industry.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Perhaps... but Sony's ownership didn't do much to help Beta in the war against VHS, in spite of its technical superiority...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>This is what I learned recently from a guy where I bought a movie...hehe...

The two new DVD formats are coming out this year.

HD DVD, owned by Microsoft and has a few people like WB supporting...
Blue Laser DVD, owned by Sony and a lot of support from others.

Word has it, the HD DVD is more expensive and not as good as Blue Light, though HD is still higher up than standard. HD DVDs only matter if you have a HD TV.

Blue Light DVD players will be around $600, and will play older DVDs.
Old Players will not read the new disks.

If you would like to add anything here, please do. I am basing this whole post on a guy's verbal explanation to me...but have only skimmed the internet for any confirmations...</font>
A few things to correct:

HD DVD is being devolped by Toshiba. Its biggest supporters on the hardware end are NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, and Intel. Microsoft and Intel are pretty recent additions to this list. It has three major movie studios that will support it, Paramount, Universal and Warner Brothers.

Blu-ray is being devolped by Sony. It has support from a number of companes who are known as the "Blu-ray Disc Association". A list of all the companies involved is avaible at http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_i...009/Index.html

To start at least HD DVD is probably going to be the cheaper format, it is able to leverage current DVD manufacturing technology more and therefor has lower startup costs.

The best estimates I've seen put low cost blu-ray players at ~$1000 to start, and Toshiba says they plan to sell a low cost HD DVD player with a retail price of $500 soon.

The other thing to note is that currently HD DVD is going to beat blu-ray to the market by 2 months.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Perhaps... but Sony's ownership didn't do much to help Beta in the war against VHS, in spite of its technical superiority...
Early Betamax tapes were only able to hold 60min worth of video. People didn't care how nice their recorded movies looked and sounded, it didn't make up for the fact that they could only record half of it.

[ 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Blu Ray will win this war. I will use this format. PS3 uses it. Have no idea what xbox has.. probably the 'other' version.

The Sony PS3 will be $399. That's a $399 blu-ray player folks. [img]smile.gif[/img] PS2 has over 30 million units sold, if PS3 can gain this amount of units sold.... well, that alone will end the war.

[ 03-04-2006, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Hmm, sounds like another good reason to get the PS3 instead of the 360. Knowing me though, I'll be cheap and wait for the price to drop to $200 or so.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote