Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Now in New Zealand [Swine Flu]

I have found that if you explain to people how the swine flu came about, they are less afraid of it. Animals generally cannot infect us when they have a flu virus, because the virus is not designed to attack our systems, it is designed to attack theirs. It's like a windows virus on a Mac computer - it doesn't know what to do.

At some point, god knows how, some farmer or whatever in Mexico (apparently) suddenly caught the flu from a pig. His immune system may have been compromised at the time, or possibly he was never really exposed to flu virii and had no good antibodies in his system to combat it, but regardless, he caught the flu from this piggy. It morphed, it adapted, it mutated in order to make itself survive and live in his body. He probably just thought he caught one of the other hundred strains of flu but this one spread quickly because it's new. He is most likely still around to tell the tale and is all better now, but perhaps wouldn't realize he was the first case (first case in this recent media frenzy anyways) because the symptoms are the same, and it is dealt with in the same way because, like I said, it's just the flu!

This particular strain of swine flu (and there are more than one strains of swine) has elements of human, bird and swine in it, so there is sepculation that a pig ate either the remains of an infected bird, or its refuse. Pigs live in dirt anywho, so it's very likely. Anyways, don't panic if you happen to get sick, do as you usually would and get some bedrest. I already helped treat someone with it earlier this week and they got over it already.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Now in New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
The media have to have something to do. Normal flu is so...normal even if more die from it. Lets get hysterical. I think I'm going to duct tape all my neighbors doors and windows just in case.
That seems the case. People in general aren't entertained unless there's some great apocalyptic theory or super bug thats around us.

I think the last confirmed case of Swine Flu was back in... 1918? Quite alot of people died then, but we have come quite a way as medical science goes and just as people being clean in general. I think it'll be contained before worse comes to worse.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I have found that if you explain to people how the swine flu came about, they are less afraid of it. Animals generally cannot infect us when they have a flu virus, because the virus is not designed to attack our systems, it is designed to attack theirs. It's like a windows virus on a Mac computer - it doesn't know what to do.

At some point, god knows how, some farmer or whatever in Mexico (apparently) suddenly caught the flu from a pig. His immune system may have been compromised at the time, or possibly he was never really exposed to flu virii and had no good antibodies in his system to combat it, but regardless, he caught the flu from this piggy. It morphed, it adapted, it mutated in order to make itself survive and live in his body. He probably just thought he caught one of the other hundred strains of flu but this one spread quickly because it's new. He is most likely still around to tell the tale and is all better now, but perhaps wouldn't realize he was the first case (first case in this recent media frenzy anyways) because the symptoms are the same, and it is dealt with in the same way because, like I said, it's just the flu!

This particular strain of swine flu (and there are more than one strains of swine) has elements of human, bird and swine in it, so there is sepculation that a pig ate either the remains of an infected bird, or its refuse. Pigs live in dirt anywho, so it's very likely. Anyways, don't panic if you happen to get sick, do as you usually would and get some bedrest. I already helped treat someone with it earlier this week and they got over it already.
God bless, good to know SW.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Same - I have a friend in NYC who came down with it, he's over it now.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #25
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

My wife has a stomach virus since coming back from Cancun. Nobody wants to be near her now. It's a little ridiculous. She was cleared by a doc and given antibiotics.

I told her take a few days off work, since nobody wants her there anyway.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think and suspect, that the reason why the above information is not explained by the mass media, or by the surgeon general's office in a comprehensive manner that leaves no doubt as to how dangerous swine flu is, is because this outbreak really helps business. As an example, just by looking around the store today, I noticed that all those GermX hand-sanitizers are all sold out in Walmart, and I noticed they have actually created shelves dedicated to flu meds that stick out of the medical/pharmaceutical isles. These little shelves were half empty today.

Bottom line is this is good for business, and in an ailing economy, for there to be high demand for certain products is an added bonus. So no-one is gonna educate the public about the facts, but they will (like Sanjay Gupta did) skirt around the issue, citing the worst-case scenarios to inspire fear in people. Fear is a big seller. It makes us buy burglar alarms and life insurance and more recently, gas-masks and duct-tape to protect from terrorists. No good businessman is gonna set a customer straight and enlighten them with the truth if it costs them said customer. And this, is the dirty truth where we get to seperate the people from the swines.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #27
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Apparently no confirmed cases over here so far. SpiritWarrior, I have a feeling you are right. Media sucks sometimes.
Anyway, hope everybody is ok and not coming down with any form of flu.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the excellent brief explanation, SW!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #29
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

So can I catch the swine flu if I eat pork?
j/k

I myself am not really THAT worried about this flu. Of course, ever since I got this absolutely horrible flu about 15 years ago, I've been a chronic handwasher. I wash my hands every time I get home, from wherever. Basically if I got out anywhere, when I return I wash my hands first thing. When the Fedex/UPS guy comes every day at my work, and I have to sign for our package using that special pen thingy that a million people have used, I wash my hands afterwards. I always am aware of what I touch, and how many people may have touched the same thing, and I try not to touch my face in any way (mouth, nose, eyes). We have a public bathroom in the hallway where I work, and before I leave the bathroom I wash my hands, and use the paper towel I dried my hands on to open up the door to exit the bathroom, and also to re-enter my office. I went 8 years straight once without catching one cold or flu. Unfortunately an intern using the copier a lot got me and ruined my 9th year LOL.

Of course nothing is totally foolproof, but I'm really hoping my handwashing skills will keep me from getting sick. The media really needs to turn it down a notch too with all the "pandemic" reports. It is just scaring people and things aren't that bad yet, and they may not ever get that bad. Let's just wait and see, I say, before we freak out.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle eye View Post
Health officials have announced that three of a college party that arrived back from their field trip to Mexico have tested positive for swine flu. more.

I had convinced that this would all blow over and it would be found that the students would have only common flu. The hype here is similar to the bird-flu outbreak several years ago which many people took precautions for, though it never made it to New Zealand.

There are still 56 suspected cases in NZ and up to 70 in Australia. 40 confirmed in the US. Is it not that big a deal in the states? I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up already.. anyone taking extra precaution?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_swine_flu_nyc

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote