Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Question Mark Connection help in Canada.

Hi guys, I'm looking for some ideas, first some background.
My grandfather in Toronto, fell off a ladder and needed a hip replacement, my parents have gone out from the UK to help. The is no WiFi in my grandparents apartment, and parents don't have a smart phone. They do have a WiFi Android tablet and an apple macbook.
So apart from using the free WiFi in the local coffee shop (I guess they can't spend much more than an hour there in one go) what I'd the best/ easiest way to get them connected, so the can check emails, viber and upload a few photos?
Thanks in advanced.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Connection help in Canada.

Does your grandpa have DSL or cable in his domicile? If so, then just rig up a wireless router.
But let's say he doesn't... a lot of the greatest generation are PC Luddites.

You can buy what they call an "air card" for laptops. These allow you to surf the web via the cell phone network. The cards themselves cost $60-$100 or so for a PC rig (the Goddess only knows what they would cost for an Apple product!). That's just the beginning of the cost, however. You will have to have a data plan with the cell provider in order to surf the web in this manner,,, so prepare for that cost.

So, take the MacBook to an Apple store and talk to them about specific options.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

Ah, thanks Elf. Was hoping there might be a simple small device you could put a sim card into for a WiFi signal, then their tablet and macbook could access the web.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

The MacBook doesn't have built-in wifi??

Also,,, yes, there are wireless dongles that fit in USB ports. Once again. I don't know what they would cost for an Apple product.

Sorry about misleading you in my first post... I got the impression you wanted net access without having to be in a wifi field.

Last edited by ElfBane; 11-27-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Target
Red Dragon

Cool, has anyone use a dongle or suggest a good one?
Also I don't know anything about networks in Canada, what one would be a good one to go with for a pay as you sim?

Old 11-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

OK, I'm not "getting" it. I guess I'm not being clear.

What do your parents want?

If they want free (no charge) access to the web, then they will have to use a WiFi hotspot. That can be solved by buying a WiFi dongle. Minimal cost, BUT,,, to access the web you will have to be in a WiFi hotspot.

If they want to be able to access the web at your grandpa's house, then they will need an "air card" to access the cellphone network. You will need the aforementioned aircard AND a data plan from one of the cellphone companies...which is an ongoing expense.

If your parents MacBook has built-in WiFi, then they won't need the wifi dongle... they should be able to connect to any wifi hotspot.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Target
Red Dragon

All sorted now, they have picked up a gadget to make their own WiFi hot spot.

Phew, right, back to FF9!!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I hope they secured their Wi-Fi hotspot or the neighbours will be able to connect. Hiding the SSID is really no protection. WEP encryption can be hacked in a couple of minutes of sniffing traffic but it will do against end users. But if their gadget support better encryption I suggest they take it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Target
Red Dragon

They are back in the UK now which I'm glad about. I keep an eye on the weather reports I hope it gets better for Canada and the US.