Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 AM   #11
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Exactly. Which is why this shouldn't be considered funny either.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
See now ? That's why i only watch pr0n.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

What's so bad about the double standard that renders physical abuse of men (in a fitting context, of course), but not women, funny in romantic comedies?

By the way, there has been funny mental abuse of women in movies, though I can think of only one movie at the moment. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Love Stinks. The movie was a bit lame all in all but the ending was sweet.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Joss Whedon...
you may want to take a look at what he has DONE to his strong female characters before blindly wading into his fan club.
now, I liked Buffy: The Vampire Slayer as much as anyone else, but I'll take his works with a grain of salt. actually, I'll bring a shaker with me. (and yes, I thought Lynda Carter was "T3h $3x0r Haw+n3$$" back when I was a kid. after all, they didn't have that many characters that appealed to me back then on television that weren't either in the news or on Star Trek. but as the saying goes, "that's another story for another day."

as for the "what if" factor? there's already been comic books with that feature of "supposed superhero abuses his powers around women." no, they are never labeled comedic at that point. given that they make sure to have things end badly a lot of times, there's no reason to even try to make it look funny then. but hey, men in power abuse their power around women every day. so it's not a rare occasion, now is it?

on a similar vein, look up the new show "Kept" and compare it to "Flavour Of Love." you tell me the radical differences between the shows considering their mutual vein of "famous person seeks significant other via television show" and tell me where the parity is. of course, one is DESIGNED to be "train wreck television" and neither will be watched by me. *shrugs a bit*

and I blame the people doing the writing for the flops (or misses) that were the following: Catwoman (should have kept the ORIGINAL PLOTLINE!!!), Elektra (read: Catwoman), BloodRayne, Aeon Flux. then again, it IS hard to do a "good" comic book/video game adaptation if you don't have the right people all the way through it. for an EXCELLENT adaptation (which actually brought new life to a very old character), check out the Blade Trilogy. I know the truth about that character, most don't. best part about the Blade Trilogy is how they not only modernized the character, but made him virtually a pop culture icon by the time they were done. could they have done that with the four movies mentioned above? easily, if given the right amount of research. the easiest of the four would have to be Catwoman, the most difficult being Aeon Flux. (settings, abilities, amount of CGI required, dialogue, et cetera.) then again, they made Resident Evil work. (I LOVE me some Milla Jovovich, so I'm biased.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Goes blindly to Buffy fan club meeting, wondering what was done that wouldn't have fit right into the scenario of the series. Gets back, puts on more blinders to watch Firefly, and then Serenity, and while River's torment through out the show was terrible, it was also part of the story, and it wasn't specific gender abuse, but the government abusing it's power. I look around me today, and want to curse the writers of our little show for including these kinds of things into the story that is our lives.
People in power will abuse that power, at some point. While this isn't 100% true, it's true enough to be undisputeable. So before you condemn Joss for making his shows feel a bit real, maybe you should look around you first. Hard to condemn a guy for trying to keep some realism in fantasy shows, and while I don't know that I've never seen a vampire, I do know that I have seen abused women, and abused men in my time.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh I agree about the movie "My Super Ex-Girlfriend"! I've seen the advertisements and trailers and both my husband and I think it's ridiculous. Just the ads have me mildly offended at the thought that I must be stupid enough to buy the whole premise 'super girl psycho has really bad pms days and stalks and attacks her boyfriend for wanting to move on'.

I was just saying to Nacht (my hubby) the other day that it's annoying to see the Spiderman, Superman, Batman flicks coming out and then this thing comes out. They put a woman in and she's not a 'hero' she's a psycho with super powers. Uh, duh! That's a VILLAIN in most comic books and movies that I know of!

I dunno, from what I've seen of it, it seems geared to the lowest common denominator in adolescents, so it may do ok in the box office but it's not a 'hit' by any stretch of the imagination or the word.

PS: I liked Serenity and Firefly and agree with you, there RTB. [img]smile.gif[/img]

OH and Pirate Queen- there are quite a few female members on Ironworks!

[ 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #17
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I think Catwoman and Elektra are perhaps poor examples. How about the character of Selene in the Underworld series? I recall that she saves the male lead numerous times. Or how about movies such as Ultraviolet or Tomb Raider? If you compare todays 'market' with what we had twenty years ago, there is definately some improvement.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #18
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Good call Dreamer, the Underworld series seems pretty well done, IMO. Haven't seen Ultraviolet yet, but Tomb Raider was decently done as well.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #19
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Tomb Raider was decently done as well.
[img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Erm, yeah. Take note girls. You need at least a 36DD before you can try any of that heroine stuff.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Tomb Raider was decently done as well.
[img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Erm, yeah. Take note girls. You need at least a 36DD before you can try any of that heroine stuff.
[/QUOTE]Ok, sign me up. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Of course you also need to be tall and svelte.....I think I'm disqualified there! HAHAHA!