Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4376041.stm

Now, I kindof agree that there's no real damage or harm it does. But slippery slope!!! This is really dangerous stuff IMO - Britain's always been at the leading edge of this kind of stuff, but always with decent regulatory guidelines and these MPs want to scrap the regulator?! Crazy stuff!
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Britain needs more females, im all for it. If it's a boy, abort.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

lol that's exactly the problem. What could be better than 50/50 male/female split in a species that goes for (serial) monogamous pair bonds (usually)? Of course...the difference here would be statistically negligible under current IVF rates. In 2001 slightly over 1% of babies born in the US were IVF.

And I think you left out an important (unrelated to that topic) aspect of the article. What the hell was with that cross-species hybridization research! What benefit could that possibly bring? It says it 'could be useful for research'...but I'd like an example. All I can think of is the Island of Dr. Moreau, and the old Goat Boy sketches from Saturday Night Live...

[ 03-24-2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
And I think you left out an important (unrelated to that topic) aspect of the article. What the hell was with that cross-species hybridization research! What benefit could that possibly bring? It says it 'could be useful for research'...but I'd like an example. All I can think of is the Island of Dr. Moreau, and the old Goat Boy sketches from Saturday Night Live...
I've heard suggestions that we could grow spare parts for transplants on animals & have them ready if people needed them.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Although I love technology, sometimes people get a little weird with it. Why choose your child's gender? Where is the fun in that?

Some of the more detailed "fine-tuning" of children is still a couple of decades away. Have they mapped all the genes for eye color and have they ascertained that some horrible genetic disorder isn't lurking in the eye color gene sequence? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Slow but steady progress should be made, but you know that if countries like Britain and the US aren't doing the research then other countries will. Needless to say, I strongly disagree with our current administration's refusal to support genetic/stem-cell research.

One statement I didn't like from the article:

Quote:
from the article:
The MPs also suggest there should no longer be a need to consider the suitability of parents under "welfare of the child" considerations when approving couples for IVF treatment, because it is discriminatory.
There should still be a consideration of the suitability of the parents, because plenty of people who shouldn't have children do have them anyway. That is a topic for another thread, though. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
Lucern
Quintesson

That'll do just fine VulcanRider, thanks.

I had not heard that. I had heard, however, the much more (seemingly) promising prospect of stem cells (which can be harvested from unused IVF IIRC) doing that very thing. That's what stem cells tend to do anyway.

None of that will keep me from having my very own satyr door-man, so there. I think this brings us to the last lines of Azred's post
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

The best advantage is that many animals are genetically quite similar and far more numerous, so considering we have chronic organ shortages its a feasable way of making this up. It's a bit twisted though IMO:

Here's a rather disturbing picture of a mouse with a human ear grown on its back. Apparently it will survive when its taken out. Details here.

PBS has a good website section on the whole xenotransplantation issue.

[ 03-25-2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Looking at that mouse made me think of a herd of pigs with human hands growing out of their backs like shark fins. You'd have a herd of right-handed pigs, and a herd of left-handed pigs, and when they get mad they give you the finger...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Wow. How long did it take to write that?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Longer than it took to come up with the idea. It just kinda popped into my head...

-----