Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-09-2001, 10:47 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Long story short, here are some character/party ideas I had and wanted them critiqued before I played them and found that they didn't work out. I've yet to get past chapter 2 (or was it 3?) but I'm scrapping my party and restarting again (I'm a chronic restarter). This is for a good aligned party, so unfortunately, no Edwin.

Jah
Minsc
Imoen (when I get her back)
Jan
Vic
Me

For me:
Human dualed Ranger/Cleric (or how about Stalker/Cleric?)-would it be overkill to have two people who can cast druid spells and two full clerics? Furthermore, am I too lacking in the mage field? Jan is only half a mage, and I won't get Imoen back until god knows when.

Sorceror or Wild Mage- though I'd have really low hps.

Swashbuckler/Mage- dualed at level 10, I can switch Jan for anyone more useful (any suggestions) once I get my thief skills back.

any other ideas that would fit this party? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:54 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You are lacking a solid tank, besides Minsc, so I will go with the Ranger/Cleric idea.

You have enough mages, Jan can cover you until you get back Imoen, Jan is also more than capable of handling your Thief duties.

Jaheira can be your secondary fighter, do not make her your main tank, send Minsc forward first then flank with Jaheira.

Viconia will be a backrow caster, supporting with slings most likely.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:16 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

You really don't think having two full clerics and two (technical) full druids is overkill?
Old 10-09-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
You really don't think having two full clerics and two (technical) full druids is overkill?
Well... if I may, I have an alternative suggestion.

Play as a Paladin.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:56 PM   #5
Haladar
Dungeon Master

i agree with dundee.. Play as a Paladin
my favorite party (it isnt the best possible) is:
Me (Cavalier)
Minsc
Jahiera
Imoen
Nalia
Aerie
This is not the best party available nbut it is a pretty decent one, and it gives you everthing that you need.
(3 Tanks, 3 Priests, 3 Mages and 2 thieves)

-------------------
Haladar
Mithril Cavalier of ALSB
Old 10-09-2001, 03:11 PM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

I definitely couldn't play as a paladin. They're just not for me. I always end up playing some kind of (heavy) spellcaster. Right now, I'm stuck between the Wild Mage/Sorceror setup or the Ranger/Cleric. I haven't beating the game yet, and I can't figure out which one I want my first win to be with. If I choose the mage, my party setup works well. But if I choose the Ranger/Cleric, then I have to change everything around. I'd probably end up getting rid of Jah, which I don't really want to do, and I probably wouldn't need Vic. Instead, I'd need a good full mage, so I'd probably have to pick up Nalia, and I don't like her personality. I dunno though...
Old 10-09-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
ReGiN

Follow your heart

Old 10-09-2001, 03:27 PM   #8
StarVid
Elminster

my heart? I had to pawn it so I could afford ToB

As for the class thing. I'm just not feeling like I'll have enough mage backup with the classes I have. Furthermore, I think that Me, Jah, and Vic on the cleric front is a bit of overkill. If I were to replace one, I'm not sure who. I figure the romance with Jah would be more my alignment, but I'm thinking Vic could get interesting in Underdark. Also, I don't think I want to share all the good cleric-y things (like Crom Feyer and all that rot) with Vic. If I were to replace her, with whom should I replace her with? I have a good front line (Me, Minsc, and Jah) and a solid backline (Jan, Imoen, and Vic) so it would be a good party, assuming that three priests isn't too much.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:17 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Play something nobody has attempted before.

Wizard Slayer dualled to Mage.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:30 PM   #10
madjim
The Magister

My party is as follows: I bring two characters in - a standard fighter with hammer skill, shield and weapon skill, and a mage (both from BG1) I then keep jaheira, yoshimo,(I later replace him with imoen)and minsc. I put minsc in and out of the party for others as needed. I keep the bard and the shapeshifter druid as only as long as I need them to complete their associated quests. In my opinion they are just a waste of slot. That also goes for aerie the airhead and that drip of a poor little rich girl. Jan I keep as long as he has a quest then its back to the turnip patch for him. I originally kept Vicona but she was no special help in underdark so I won't bother with her again. I use the ranger for the sphere quest and then cut him loose too.