Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
But I took these from my Baldurs gate Portrait area, and in Adobe, cropped them, and zoomed them a bit, and added a sharpining filter at 2%.
That's NOT the same as just resizing them which is what you said originally and THAT is what I replied to. Your original comment was "you can use my BG pics and resize them and convert them to TGA". Two different processes.

Not everyone has access to Photoshop or similiar editing software.

Quote:
Wow... thats odd, when the game came out, I got TONS of emails saying I had the best portraits for the game...

PS: If you are talking about the NWN1 portrait pack, then yeah, some of those are not hot--as I didn't make them, just scooped up some I thought would be ok.. I made the rest.
Gee Z defensive much? Sorry your feelings are hurt, but imo your BG portraits are FAR from the best custom portraits available for the game. I've seen other sets which I prefer and I think are a LOT better. That's MY opinion and you certainly don't have to agree.

I wasn't even thinking about the NWN1 portraits either.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 04-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well that was over a decade ago, remember.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Best portraits for BG in my opinion were the celebrity ones done by that guy whose name I cannot recall. He also did custom portraits of people who submitted photos of themselves. I used to ask him to just do generic fantasy ones because I loved the pastel-ish look of his work, it fit perfectly with BG. I'm sure many people know the guy i'm talking about.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Best portraits for BG in my opinion were the celebrity ones done by that guy whose name I cannot recall. He also did custom portraits of people who submitted photos of themselves. I used to ask him to just do generic fantasy ones because I loved the pastel-ish look of his work, it fit perfectly with BG. I'm sure many people know the guy i'm talking about.

OH yeah! I remember those! They were indeed awesome!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Down Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
That's NOT the same as just resizing them which is what you said originally and THAT is what I replied to. Your original comment was "you can use my BG pics and resize them and convert them to TGA". Two different processes.
Resizing IS changing the SIZE, yes!.. you can paste the BG port inside a 128x128 blank graphic and change the SIZE and move it around and when you have the face centered, its done. Trust me bro, been into Graphics for 20 years.

Quote:
Not everyone has access to Photoshop or similiar editing software.
You don't have to have Adobe bro, Gimp works just as well, and its free:
http://www.gimp.org/

Quote:
Gee Z defensive much? Sorry your feelings are hurt, but imo your BG portraits are FAR from the best custom portraits available for the game. I've seen other sets which I prefer and I think are a LOT better. That's MY opinion and you certainly don't have to agree.
Only defensive when you go out of your way to insert 'how bad they are' as I saw it.. And now they are FAR from good! Wow! Thanks man! lol.. good lord. Know the saying 'if you can't say nothing nice....." lol....

Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Anyway.... back to Grimrock.

Been reading the forum a lot at their site! Looks like they will be allowing scripting, and texturing.. I sure hope they allow 3D Model changes.. I've been waiting for a new EOB type engine for years that came with an editor which was rich in editing like NWN1 was!!

I'd make some Kobolds, Displacer Beasts, and other beasties.. In this format, they also don't require many animation frames... just the walking animation, and attacking... the death is universal animation I believe..

Can't WAIT!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
You can still find those over at http://www.kirith.com

Here's a link to one page:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...%3Disch&itbs=1

Here's a link to another set:

http://www.moddb.com/games/baldurs-g...durs-gate-i-ii

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Micah Foehammer

@Elfbane, enjoy the game and hope you get the custom portraits to work. If you need more help, you can get in touch with me thru the Oasis.

Quote:
Only defensive when you go out of your way to insert 'how bad they are' as I saw it.. And now they are FAR from good! Wow! Thanks man! lol.. good lord. Know the saying 'if you can't say nothing nice....." lol....
It's not my fault if you misread between the lines. Un-freakin-believable.

I never said your portraits were "bad" or even "far from good" I DID say that I thought yours were far from the best. I also said that there were others that I thought were a lot better and that I prefered more.

I also didn't say your originals were crap; I said that if you JUST resize them as you originally stated, they will look like crap and I stand by that. IMO you did far more than just resize them.

I wasn't abusive about it, and if you read the post you'll see that I put it into the context of resizing. You resized, cropped, zoomed and sharpened them. It isn't the same thing.

I repeat that in my opinion they aren't the best available and there are others that i much prefered. That doesn't mean yours are crap' just that there are others that I like a lot more. Maybe you should go back and read my posts again. For pete's sake, even you acknowledged the celebrity BG portraits and didn't object to SW saying he thought those were the best.

I think you're being way too thin skinned here. That's not MY problem.

You know, I've always thought that we were free to express our opinions here, provided we didn't curse, make the attacks personal, or stuck to the ground rules. But I guess the real rules are to not say anything even remotely negative, or that you might construe as being negative. Then we can say anything we want. Is that just about the gist of it?

Just excuse me all to heck for expressing an opinion.

Quote:
You don't have to have Adobe bro, Gimp works just as well, and its free:
I distinctly said "Adobe or similiar software". Are you not actually reading what I post?

I've made a lot of my own custom portraits Z and written a couple of tutorials for them as well. I think I know a LITTLE bit about it.

I don't know whether Elfbane has access to any photo editing software or even the desire to make his own custom portraits, which is why I suggested using the NWN2 portraits which are already the exact size and format that Grimlock requires.

I'm done with this. Since this is really just between you and me, I'll be happy to continue this in a pm, otherwise let's end it NOW.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: New 'old school' game like Eye of the Beholder - Legend of Grimrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
I'll be happy to continue this in a pm, otherwise let's end it NOW.

Consider it ended bro.. Just having a bad day I guess.. (BTW, I didn't know NWN2 ports were the same size, thats cool! I didn't like NWN2 at all, but using ports from it sound good!)

BTW, Grimrock's secret doors are EXACTLY like EOB's.. the little 'button' on a wall near by. you click it and the secret door rises.. really cool.

I wonder if there are false walls? Has anyone found one? (walls you can walk through).. I remember in EOB 1-3 running into every wall looking for every secret I could ..

Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Consider it ended bro..
Done.

Quote:
BTW, I didn't know NWN2 ports were the same size, thats cool! I didn't like NWN2 at all, but using ports from it sound good!
Yes, Grimrock uses 128x128 24 bit uncompressed TGA - exactly the same as NWN2 custom portraits. They should copy over with no problems.