Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-31-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Sir_Tainly

Today, to kill some time (between 9and 5 ) I had a look at the MSN Romance things, purely to laugh at the hideous photos (sorry if anyone here has their photo up) However it got me wondering how people actually met their partners/spouses etc? (if you have met one ) Through dating agencies, college, mutual friends etc?

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 08-31-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I don't want to be offensive, but seriously it's not that hard to meet people and go on dates. You shouldn't need agencies and stuff like that.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-31-2001, 11:51 AM   #3
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Honestly, I met the woman that I'm with through mutual friends. I happen to be really good friends with her mom, and she introduced us (with the intention of trying to get us together). Well, it did work, and we're both happier than we ever have been. So, while I've used (or even considered using) a dating service, I am certainly glad for mutual friends.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 06:17 PM   #4
Sir_Tainly

I wasn't considering using the msn roamnce thing, I was looking out of morbid curiousity personally its not my style at all.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 08-31-2001, 10:29 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, as soon as he moves out this way next spring, so I can tell you it's a rl, daily type thing, I'll fill you in, but we met online on a forum and then talked in icq and voice chat alot.. decided we really want to get together and are working on it. Nobody set us up, we just kind of 'clicked' in our own icq chats.

I know a few folk who met their current spouses via the 'personal ads' . One is rather amusing. Her cousin answered the ad and then didn't hit it off with the guy, but she set my friend up and they are now married 9 yrs! LOL

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old 09-01-2001, 09:50 PM   #6
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Personally its not my thing, but I do know a couple of people who have hit it off over the net...
I just hate the not being sure thing, and not knowing if the person is being 100% sincere. (video conferencing - its the way to go)

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 09-01-2001, 10:04 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
I wasn't considering using the msn roamnce thing, I was looking out of morbid curiousity personally its not my style at all.

Yeah yeah, that's what they all say....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-01-2001, 10:10 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I don't want to be offensive, but seriously it's not that hard to meet people and go on dates. You shouldn't need agencies and stuff like that.

Some use agencies, some use nightclubs, some use fitness clubs, others church groups, some use matchmakers, some even join bands to get a partner. Is one more "correct" than the other? Surely the end result is what's important. I've never used an agency either, but I'd say we're lucky not to have to Milamber.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-01-2001).]
Old 09-01-2001, 10:46 PM   #9
Conan

Lonely hurts, no doubt about it. I think everyone has felt that feeling many times over. I remember when I first went into the Army at 17. 9 weeks after being mildly tortured by drill sargents I was sent to Europe for 2 years. Very far from my family and freinds. It crept in mostly at night when my roomates were sleeping. Strangled my stomach for awhile then...even left me alone.
I think a person can even feel this even when they are surrounded by close people also. Thinking mybe sometimes they are the only ones that hurt from a certain spot in their heart containing loneliness.

I say---> do what you do. You know your own socialable comfort zones. I strayed out of those myself a couple of times but thats not what this post is about Sir T, and all. There are manys songs and stories advocating getting out there and meeting people any way you can. Love will find a away. Just get out and ride!

*\Conan/*

Old 09-01-2001, 11:09 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I know a few couples who met online and are now happily married and as it turns out I just found out that my step brother met the woman he just married online. So I guess it isn't so unusual these days.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."