Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 03:30 PM   #11
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Thank you Saz.

So when does the "Who's the greatest" thread go?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:38 PM   #12
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I quite agree. One of the reasons I love this forum is the welcoming attitude to newbies and the "There is no best and worst member of the board" feeling. Is this going to change?

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Kaz: not if we have anything to do with it. IW will always remain a place where newbies are welcome.

Father Bronze: since the tone of the thread has changed, I don't mind leaving it up. I have a aversion to deleting threads since a lot of good information gets in there. I just want to make sure that no new popularity threads pop up, since this one is the second one in a week.

Larry: Memnoch has his own style of handling things, as I do. If you don't care for it, I'm sorry, but sometimes things have to be done.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 06:27 PM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Shucks Saz - I was just going to post that I thought YOU were the greatest!

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-30-2001, 06:38 PM   #15
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL! Good one Donut!

Actually I have to agree with Sazerac. Popularity-type threads may hurt someone's feelings, newbie or veteran or whatever in between, and make them feel low on the totem pole and not interesting enough. Best not to go there, even though of course in most cases these threads are not created out of any malice, only good natured fun.

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 08:12 PM   #16
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

all popularity contests do is inflate ones ego... i say let that thread fall to the second page and nobody will ever see it again!

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:46 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL! Good one Donut!

Actually I have to agree with Sazerac. Popularity-type threads may hurt someone's feelings, newbie or veteran or whatever in between, and make them feel low on the totem pole and not interesting enough. Best not to go there, even though of course in most cases these threads are not created out of any malice, only good natured fun.

There's also a more insidious, "silent" threat involved as well, LadyZekke.

Quite often, those voted as "most popular" don't really ask for this distinction, and others may become resentful and jealous of them and start snubbing them, or worse, cutting them down. This can (and does) lead to frictions between the parties both on the forum and behind the scenes. I've seen it happen more than once, on this forum and on others that I've been on.

And I know the topics were made in fun. I don't want to, or like to, rain on people's parades, which is why that thread still remains. It's just important to remember that what one considers to be a compliment to someone may actually work against them in the long run.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 09:23 PM   #18
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
There's also a more insidious, "silent" threat involved as well, LadyZekke.

Quite often, those voted as "most popular" don't really ask for this distinction, and others may become resentful and jealous of them and start snubbing them, or worse, cutting them down. This can (and does) lead to frictions between the parties both on the forum and behind the scenes. I've seen it happen more than once, on this forum and on others that I've been on.

And I know the topics were made in fun. I don't want to, or like to, rain on people's parades, which is why that thread still remains. It's just important to remember that what one considers to be a compliment to someone may actually work against them in the long run.

Cheers,

I understand what you are saying totally Saz. We all post here on this forum, but none of us knows what type of responses we will get. I have seen the same as you, members who have been regarded as "popular", and the unfortunate repercussions of that.

As for me, well I am not perfect. I jibe with some people here, and some I do not jibe with for various reasons. But I do not feel like I am in any type of "competition" with anyone, and I have absolutely no ill feelings if a person is well liked by many. Unfortunately, I realize as well that there are others who do not feel the same way, who feel they need to "compete" and say subtle comments of a nasty nature, or as you mentioned, snub them altogether considering them the "enemy." So no doubt, any threads containing anything of a "Who Do You Like Most" impression should be stopped, just cause it adds fuel to the fire.

I dunno. It's a tough deal really. I mean, we are all here on the Internet, not in person. I think that would make a HUGE difference, I mean if we were all (IW's members) standing in a room together face to face. But we aren't, all we see of eachother is text, and of course still pics on Stealthy's Site. It is very easy for one to judge another based on so little information but what you see on the screen. I know, cause I have misjudged others in the past here myself. On the other hand, I also feel surefooted on certain criticisms I may have said. Bah! Again, a tough puzzle to work out.

Well I'm just babbling here now. Basically, what I am getting at is this: Tis a complicated environment of unique human individuals here on our Forum, and it seems I suppose best to be "safe than sorry" when it comes to Popularity threads.

OK I'm done

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 09:31 PM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Larry: Memnoch has his own style of handling things, as I do. If you don't care for it, I'm sorry, but sometimes things have to be done.

What has to be done?
Jumping down a guy's throat on a rule that we regulars understand but have not published on our rules board?
Look at that horrible flaming face you made at the top of the thread, and how hard you came down on a guy that had no idea this was a bad thing!
Who ever told him?
Your thread was too strong in force for teaching somebody new a rule that has never been published.

Don't tell me to get over it.

Did I insult you by comparing your way to Memnoch's?
I did not mean it like that, and I was not saying that Memnoch handles things better than you.
Now, I am thinking about changing my mind on that.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Third member of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 09:49 PM   #20
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Quote:

What has to be done?
Jumping down a guy's throat on a rule that we regulars understand but have not published on our rules board?
Look at that horrible flaming face you made at the top of the thread, and how hard you came down on a guy that had no idea this was a bad thing!
Who ever told him?
Your thread was too strong in force for teaching somebody new a rule that has never been published.

Don't tell me to get over it.

Did I insult you by comparing your way to Memnoch's?
I did not mean it like that, and I was not saying that Memnoch handles things better than you.
Now, I am thinking about changing my mind on that.

Aiyeee! Larry! Dude! Friend! Father of incredibly CUTE baby! I don't think Saz pointed out anyone specific, he mainly just said that "popularity threads" were detrimental, he never named any names, and I think the reason he did not was because he truly did NOT want to come down harshly on anyone specifically, but wanted to say his opinion at the same time, ya know what I mean?

I personally think that "other" thread has turned out luckily OK, although I think that is mainly due to the fact that the subject got changed towards another direction for the most part eventually.

Either way, I like you Larry and Sazarac too, I know Saz has only good intentions Friend same as you, I hope yall can reconcile this...

------------------