Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-23-2001, 12:58 AM   #1
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Whats the best tactic for killing dragons.?

Where is the geezer who forges weapons.?

Very early in the 1st chapter i found a broken sword. Is it of any use?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:10 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Whats the best tactic for killing dragons.?

Check out my signature.

Where is the geezer who forges weapons.?

Cromwell is in the Docks District, in the south-east. Go to your Map screen to see the exact location, it is marked on the map.

Very early in the 1st chapter i found a broken sword. Is it of any use?

If you are referring to the greyish broken sword, throw it away. If however, you are referring to the Pommel Gem of the Equaliser, keep it.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-23-2001, 06:04 AM   #3
daan
Silver Dragon

Dragon tactics: (there are several)
- lower magic resistance / harm / magic-missiles
Try to cast about 3 lower-resistances, hit him with a "harm"-spell, now he only has 1 hp left so you magic-missile his a** to some very far away place

- Lower Magic Resistance / greater-malison, doom, spook / finger of death or so
Here you have to get his saving throws down after you lowered his magic resistance, which 'll allow you to polymorph him, slow him, weaken him, kill him with finger of death and so on ... this tactic takes a little longer but is more fun ( Fiirkaag the slow-moving squirl with 3 strenght)

In general you cant tackle a dragon without a mage of some sort, since a dragons "wing-buffet" (you get thrown back and knocked unconscious) plus its low AC and high THACO/Damage, makes it very hard for a group of fighters to get to him.
Further on you should allways summon some cannonfodder, IN GROUPS !!! , not all at the same time, so he waists spells at them.
VERY IMPORTANT TOO !!! :::: let your fighters/ summoned creatures stand AROUND him in a circle !! this means that he cant knock back evry one in a single "wing-buffet". You have to keep him busy in ONE place at all times, do NOT let him walk around, because your mage(s) wont be able to withstand ANY beating by a dragon.

So, basically, you can start attacking dragons when your party reaches a level so high, that it has Lower magic resistance (lvl 12/13 or something)
do keep in mind that lvl 12/13 will be VERY tough if you dont use cheesy tactics

Have fun !!
Old 10-23-2001, 08:51 AM   #4
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Well, while, dann, does have the right idea to fighting the dragons of this game, I can say that I routinely take down that shadow dragon at average level of 9/10 without cheese at all. This last time I only had 4 people in my part, my character(paladin), jahiera, jan and mazzy who I picked up in that Umar quest. One thing I will say, is that a wand of lighting is is very helpfull, but in genral all I did was beef up my guy and Jaheira with strenght and haste and positioned them on the rear flanks of the dragon. Jaheira, used the magic lowering spell for druids and then I had jan hit the dragon with two lower resistances to make sure he was at 0 percent; after that it's a matter of keepin ppl on diff sided of the dragon so jan can nail him wiht spells and use that dam lighting wand. Mazzy just kept pelting away with tasherons bow and my fighters just kept hacking away. Seems to work for me routinely withouth loss of life in most cases.

Granted their are more ways to kill dragons, but this works for me so why change it.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 10-23-2001, 08:58 AM   #5
Byronas

Also use the sword Dragonslayer. Very good sword against dragons!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:09 AM   #6
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I summoned a ptt fiend thing with gate spell and he managed to get the killing stroke on the shadow dragon so I got no XP for all my work. That was really anoying. Frigkadd was quite easy I though, Just cast magic resistance on him then have 2 clerics casting holy smite on him and 2 mages casting magic missles. If you want u can summon some skelital warriors.I killed him so quickly (easily less that 20-30 seconds. Hardly injured any of my players.

Warby
Old 10-23-2001, 10:35 AM   #7
Galadriel
Dungeon Master

What I always do if im a high enough level, after you get down the dragons magic resist, fire a spell sequencer filled with 3 flame arrows. Works great.