Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 02:49 AM   #1
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

...Oh I was just curious. I hear about the experienced vets soloing the game (which I still find amazing - I have to try that someday); these players must know BG2 inside/out, forwards/backwards - proper strategies & spells for each battle depending on the party, efficient sequence in which to do the quests, etc.

So I was just wondering if there were any godlike Grand Master players out here who can claim they beat the game without reloading even once. This means that not only did the PC never die, but also the player never reloaded the game after a "less-than-perfect" victory. ("WHOO-HOO! We won! Wait... Oh my god - they disintegrated Edwin! - YOU BASTARD!!! Who's going to be our lead mage now?!") And you wouldn't have to do every quest - just beat the game. AND OF COURSE without using any 'cheesy' ('cheatzy'?) tactics - the experts wouldn't have to resort to that. Sure, you might know in advance what you would encounter, but still, to pull off every victory ROLE-PLAYING as if the party didn't exactly know what they were going to encounter - that would be awesome... have to keep your guard up at all times, and each battle would truly be a life-&-death matter.

I imagine that would be the ultimate role-playing achievement in BG2 - unless some LUNATIC thinks s/he can do EVERY quest SOLO without reloads

"...People think pipes grow in their homes! Well, they sure as hell don't--look at my knees...LOOK AT MY KNEES!..."

--David Lynch's ERASERHEAD, 1976
Old 09-15-2001, 02:50 AM   #2
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

not me that would be hard to do i thing not one reload ...
dont thing so .
(mayby on easy )

------------------

so sweat , you find them no sweater than this ...
no prettier than this ..

you can geus who it is

!!!!! AERIE !!!!!!
Old 09-15-2001, 05:09 AM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

Hmmm. I could try a two day solo session without loading the game.
Might be fun

I can't say that I have.
Also, can you give me a definition of cheezy tactics?
I've found that what's intolarable to one is perfectly acceptable to another (except for the open-door-cast-cloudkill-run-and-close-door-on-way-out tactic, and several others like that)

But, I'm sure that there are a couple of people with too much time who've managed to do it.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Legolas, mourning for the USA

Old 09-15-2001, 05:15 AM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I've done it with very few, eight or nine tops, but doing it with none....

The random chance of being disintegrated or figer of deathed could end your non realoding spree pretty quickly...

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 05:30 AM   #5
Skunk
Banned User

Personally, I don't think that any tactic is cheesy.
The BEST tactic is the one that costs you the least in health, items and spells.

It's a bit like saying to a soldier "using those tanks and planes is a bit cheesy. Put down your gun and go in there with just your bayonet..." yeah, right....
Old 09-15-2001, 05:50 AM   #6
Legolas the Elven Archer

Or is it a bit like saying 'Throw another nuclear bomb on the soldiers fighting with the bajonets. I don't know how it is possible, but each time we did it only the enemy's troops were killed...' ?

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

My thoughts are with America

Old 09-15-2001, 06:00 AM   #7
Skunk
Banned User

Well, the trick is not to be there when you drop the bomb. When you use cloudkill for instance, you tend to cast it out of range of your party - not drop it at your feet...
Old 09-15-2001, 06:00 AM   #8
Vampire

There are some battles where you reload a lot, but other times none...

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 11:26 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
Personally, I don't think that any tactic is cheesy.
The BEST tactic is the one that costs you the least in health, items and spells.

It's a bit like saying to a soldier "using those tanks and planes is a bit cheesy. Put down your gun and go in there with just your bayonet..." yeah, right....
I guess we can define "cheesy" tactics as being those that take advantage of an inadequacy in the game's AI and fail logic checks. This is generally a subjective adjective as what is cheesy to one person may be legitimate to another. Tactics such as casting cloudkill on opponents that are out of range and killing them while they stand there is generally considered cheesy, as the AI is not designed to get these enemies to react, when logic would suggest that they should be scurrying frantically away.

At the end of the day, as long as you're deriving enjoyment from whatever tactics you use, go for it. It's your game, enjoy it the way you want to.

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 12:56 PM   #10
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Personally I like throwing fireballs around corners. Its a quick way to do the start of the game. Just get Imoen to cast fire shield red before you throw the fire ball just incase. It'll kill all the goblins in one go and the dwarfs in a few without you getting attacked.

Warby