Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-13-2001, 08:36 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I'm near the end of A Jester game, and I have to say, the Jester is waaaaay cool.

Three words

Use any item.

I gave him the helm of Valior early on, so simulcrum (double enhanced Bards song) means the lowest AC of any party member is around -18. His own hangs around -24.

Druids staff, Staff of the magi, Paladins bracers, Psions Blade. Yep can use them all. Lots of fun. A roleplaying blast.

Now yes I know a thief can get the same ability, but what use is a normally mage only item that increases spell numbers? The full gamut is of avail to the Bard.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:37 PM   #2
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

Yeah, Jesters are snappy.

Did you ever play QFG1 by any chance?

So you want to be a hero...
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 05:21 PM   #3
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

How did you enjoy the normal jester song before you got improved? Just curious for opinions. I liked it when I tried it, even tho things needed a couple pulses for it to work often times.

Oh to Toriuxik... I played all the Quest For Glory games... I still even have them all I do believe... Good games.
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 06:57 PM   #4
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Bards are very cool at high levels I agree. You can combine Use any Item (i.e. sheilds!) with some seriously powerful proective magic and then go in guns blazing. At present my bard is the party tank, completely indestructible due to three factors:

1. Very low AC what with all the new gadgets he can now wear and carry etc,

2. Foebane, 150 HP's anyone?

3. Ring of Gaxx, regenerating at a ridiculously fast level.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:44 PM   #5
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

lol, Wasn't Yorick the court jester? THATS wear it came from. lol, made me remember the games. I loved all 5 of them. Wish they'd come out with a 6th though, but couldn't tell you where they'd go with it.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:25 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Bards are very cool at high levels I agree. You can combine Use any Item (i.e. sheilds!) with some seriously powerful proective magic and then go in guns blazing. At present my bard is the party tank, completely indestructible due to three factors:

1. Very low AC what with all the new gadgets he can now wear and carry etc,

2. Foebane, 150 HP's anyone?

3. Ring of Gaxx, regenerating at a ridiculously fast level.

Yep, Foebane in one hand for me. Simulacrum, (from the helm), prot from magic weapons, tensers transformation, Ring of Gaxx.... [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] A tank.

Old 12-14-2001, 12:35 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by toriuxik:
lol, Wasn't Yorick the court jester? THATS wear it came from. lol, made me remember the games. I loved all 5 of them. Wish they'd come out with a 6th though, but couldn't tell you where they'd go with it.

? Got my pseudo from Hamlet. ("Alas poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio. A man of infinite jest.")

What games are you talking about? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh I did like the Jesters song BTW. Confusion, sleep and slow at high levels. I only reluctantly made the change.

Seems the Skald gets ripped off, and the Blade gets a huge bonus from the enhanced song.

It negates the only difference between Jester and Bard too

Old 12-14-2001, 12:42 PM   #8
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

Quest for Glory 1: So You Want To Be A Hero

Yorrick is the court jester in castle Von Spielburg.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:33 PM   #9
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Seems the Skald gets ripped off, and the Blade gets a huge bonus from the enhanced song.

It negates the only difference between Jester and Bard too

Hmm, think us bard lovers could bribe someone good with coding the game to write advanced powers for Blade, Skald, and Jester bard songs?

Allowing a switch between the normal bard songs (bard, skald, jester, blade) and enchanced bard song would be nice as well... Making blades
less of the super bard, and giving people more of a reason to play skalds and jesters in ToB. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skalds could have their song continue to improve its + to hit and damage perhaps... Making more of a song to sing in battle for damage. ..

Making the save on the jesters song drop some more would be nice as well, so you can stick it on higher level monsters. Not the bosses, but the lackies at least.

... Hmm, perhaps the normal bard's song could get improved AC values from high level use... I am not sure.

I don't want to invalidate Enhanced Bardsong, but rather give some more options. Any ideas?
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 11:33 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Eldoran:

Hmm, think us bard lovers could bribe someone good with coding the game to write advanced powers for Blade, Skald, and Jester bard songs?

Allowing a switch between the normal bard songs (bard, skald, jester, blade) and enchanced bard song would be nice as well... Making blades
less of the super bard, and giving people more of a reason to play skalds and jesters in ToB. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skalds could have their song continue to improve its + to hit and damage perhaps... Making more of a song to sing in battle for damage. ..

Making the save on the jesters song drop some more would be nice as well, so you can stick it on higher level monsters. Not the bosses, but the lackies at least.

... Hmm, perhaps the normal bard's song could get improved AC values from high level use... I am not sure.

I don't want to invalidate Enhanced Bardsong, but rather give some more options. Any ideas?

Sounds good. It makes sense that an artist of considerable experience is able to add a second song to his repetoir.