Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 04:46 AM   #1
Ziroc

Loved Cloudy's post, and it made me think about early pc games (1990 era)

I remember when I got my first IBM PC, it was a 386/16Mhz, with 1MB ram, and a 40 MEG HD!!

I remember getting my first PC game, and it was Eye of the Beholder-- Before the IMB, I always had a C-64 (well, it was a C-128, a newer model), but graphics on it were not hot, EGAish.. so when I saved up for this IBM, I remember buying Eye of the beholder before I got the PC, and I took it to radio shack and acted like I wanted to test the game out and acted like I wanted to buy their pc's I didn;t know what C:\ was, what install meant, or how to even INSTALL this game (1990 again), heeh, I learned fast with help, but do you remember the first game you ever played; that 'feeling' you got? Kinda like innocence (in a way). I wish I could 'feel that way' about games now..

Why? Because now, when I look at a game, I know if it's OpenGL, or Sprite based. I know the code, and can tell what type of 'engine' is used, and what res it'll go to, ect, ect.. I can unpack, hack, and more to these games, and it ruins it in a way.. (sigh)

I still enjoy games, but I always look at my old games with a sence of fondness, and can kinda re-live that feeling in my mind.

(This sounds freakish, I know!)

Am I crazy, or does anyone else feel this way??

Ziroc

Old 03-06-2001, 07:36 AM   #2
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not as smart about all of that as you are Ziroc. I am only just learning some of that stuff -- very slowly -- so it's still kind of exciting to me. I suspect it's something like creating films and/or animation. My husband has done both (as a hobby) and now can't watch a movie without spending part of the time figuring out how they 'did that'.

Innocence lost - it's one reason we have children, so we can recapture vicariously the excitement of first discovery.

NOT that I'm recommending that you go out & have children... no no no.
------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 07:42 AM   #3
Sir_Tainly

That is so true Bilqis, It'sl ike when you know how a magician does his tricks, his performanc is no longer entertaining. I wonder if this is why people need to believe in things that scienc can't (or at least hasn't yet) disproved?

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 07:51 AM   #4
Gray Mage
Banned User

Well here let me get this back on-topic. Come to think of it we're really not off....more like expanding with our own experiences........sorry.......

I got into this late, mid 90's, the first game I ever played on a PC was Sim City. Back then that was the game to get. All my friends had it, then I saw this box on the shelf......It was calling my name, The Gold box set, the D&D pool of Radiance set. I think it was 4 in one, or maybe 6 in 1. Titles included: Secret of the silver Blades, Pool of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, Treasures of the savage Frontier.......anyone, anyone.

After that it was all downhill from there...

------------------

Feel My Power

[This message has been edited by Gray Mage (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 08:03 AM   #5
Sir_Tainly

Just think about the first CRPG I played. It was called Phantasie on the C64. My friend was already well into RPGs and so he had a few others I forget their names now. One one I remember playing was Hilsfar. Good but moving between locations involved a sideways scrolling minigame with a knight on a horse jumping over hedges (Steeple chase style) those were the days.

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 08:19 AM   #6
Gray Mage
Banned User

Knights and horses......is that why you chose the proffesion of Paladin.....or did it choose you, Sir Knight

------------------

Feel My Power
Old 03-06-2001, 08:21 AM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

When I first got a computer "Way back when" I borrowed an SSI game (Secret of the Silver Blades or something like that) buthe forgot to give me that little wheel thing that has the codes. Luckilly I was addicted to Master of Orion and Master of Magic. But it seemed like every RPG I bought wouldnt work in whatever computer I had. Then I bought Baldurs Gate. It wouldnt load on my 200mz Gateway so I was fed up. Bought my nice Hewlett Packard the next day. Yep maxed the Visa lol. Anyway it STILL wouldnt install. So I sent the discs off to Interplay (cd1 was bad)and bought IWD. Needless to say it worked too well. I must have missed 3 days of work that week. I was uhhhh sick. I bought BGII before my BGI cd came back and couldnt wait. I have a roomate (well he owns the house)and he just shakes his head lol
Old 03-06-2001, 08:23 AM   #8
Sir_Tainly

The game didn't inspire me, moving was too hard. I became a Paladin as when left school I had no idea what to become. Therefore I went down to the local job centre and the helpful assistant went through the job cards, starting at a for acrobat,archer,etc until we got to the "P"s. As the woman was getting tired of reading out cards, she simply stopped and said you can do this, you'll 'like' it. And so here I am today.

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 08:24 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well they say that childhood ends when you know that you´re aware of your own mortality, thank god for being a man so I can still have my little child inside!!

Well I had a C-64 computer with Bruce Lee and alots thoose other cool games when I was little, I neve had an Amiga or a PC until the first Pentuom computer came out, i started to work with Photoshop and PAgemaker on it to learn and to have to work on for my studies, and well I also had this funny game, terror from the Deep, which is soooo fascinatig..
Fallout and Fallout 2, but it took about half hour to save my game in Fallout 2...
Now, I can nearly loose my old computers harddrive in my Ram and Graphic memory.. hehe.. And it still isn´t enough..

Well my most memorable old computer game has stil to be GHOST AND GOBLINS!

I still like it he he

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::
Old 03-06-2001, 08:38 AM   #10
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well I had a C-64 computer with Bruce Lee and alots thoose other cool games when I was little,
I remember Bruce Lee well! Once I beat it 4 times in one sitting!
My C64 fave's were Crystal Castles (#1 Fave), and Trolls and Tribulations. Other too: Conan, Goonies, Mr. Do, Loderunner, Zork, Wishbringer, and so many more! (Also HH Guide to the Galaxy) - Lots of Infocom games in the mid 80's!

Ziroc