Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 01:03 PM   #1
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

Based on the last two posts by Scronan it becomes apparent I don't really fit on this board, it's a little too Politically Correct for the likes of me. I can't vent? (about the game, not people, I never flame people.) I can't brag? I don't do all that well but when I do, I want to brag about it! Must be a charactor flaw.

As much as I've enjoyed hanging around here, I'm starting to feel the breath of someone looking over my shoulder a little too often. I wasn't aware that this board was only here to praise Wiz 8. "I'm sorry mom, I didn't mean to say there was anything at all wrong with the game!" I guess I made the assumption we were mostly adults here and could handle a little grumpiness or exuberance on occasion. I also didn't consider the whole "self-esteem" thing when I thought about bragging or read a post where someone finished the game and wanted to tell about it or tell about a "kick ass" charactor they had.

In a lot of ways this is a very good board and I've enjoyed it here. Luck to everyone and maybe we'll meet on another board sometime.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:24 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

BlackRaven, I don't think Scronan was targeting that specifically at you, or at anyone else. I think we all want to "crow" about our victories from time to time, and that's perfectly fine here. (It feels great when you kill your first "Saffy" (Swallower, for those who don't). He was talking about a general trend at other forums where people hex-edit their way through a game and then rub other people's faces in it. I haven't seen you do that, and I think Scronan is just trying to forestall something before it occurs.

Last year, when I first found IW, when I first came onto the forum, one of the first posts I saw up there was (in the post title, mind you), F****ing game sucks c**k (except the real letters were in there instead of asterisks.) I backed out and said, "This isn't the place for me!" and didn't go back there for a month until I got desperate to find an answer...and then was thrilled to find out how nice everyone was there.

Scronan remembers that incident, too. We're trying to create a peaceful atmosphere here such as what was at Wizards & Warriors, and although it may seem a little zealous, it's very well meant. Please don't take anything to heart, BlackRaven (or anyone else for that matter). Your input here is appreciated and valued.

So post away when you beat a toughie! All we ask is that you don't give away plot twists. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:09 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

~~blackraven~~

awww! don't go! we need peeps like you, blackraven.

i really don't think scronan was trying to look over anyone's shoulders or regulate how we think on this board. that's one of the good things about this board. so many people, from all over the world, experiencing the same game, in so many ways. hey, even wyv (one of the mods) has been talking about how much she doesn't like the plotline.

scronan's main complaint is the spoiler situation. ::looks around at everyone else:: well, we DID kinda leave all that up in the air last week. at best, it was more or less woofled by all:

1) okay. yeah, we got spoilers.
2) uhhhh. okay, good. now what?

LOL! since all of us had such brilliantly diverse opinions on what to do, we did the "american" thing. we did nothing.

and see? tabling the decision on this is gonna lead to just this kinda situation. and the last thing any of us want is to lose other great members over something like this.

V***V
Old 11-28-2001, 02:51 PM   #4
Syrin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

He'll be back.. No point in posting a note to all saying you wouldn't come back unless you planned on checking the post for a reply at a later date.

Just when you think you're out, they drag you back in...
Old 11-28-2001, 03:04 PM   #5
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Blackraven,

I'm sorry if my letter gave you the wrong impression, and I'm certainly not trying to look over your shoulder, I am just doing what I was asked to do. And that's to be a moderator. But that also means I have to try and help keep the peace around here!

Some of the veterans here may remember the forums for HPI when Wizards and Warriors came out. The forums both consisted of nothing but people flaming the game, each other, and in general being really nasty to the programmers and David Bradley. I knew that some of their concerns were legit, but I wondered why it made them feel better to make a tough situation worse by being really negative. Trust me, I was happy (as where many others) when they shut those forums down. I'd never seen a group of people so bent on being a royal pain in the ass.

As far as "politically correct" goes, I'm one of the most non-conformist, un-mainstream types you will probably ever meet. My only intent is to move the progress forward, and provide a place where people can feel comfortable. This is a family type environment here, which is why here I mind my P's and Q's. But when I'm playing Wiz 8 at home, I'm cursing like a sailor. Believe me, part of me wishes I could come here and curse and swear, but I have to watch myself too, just as I've asked everyone else to as well.

Again, my intent was not to say "get out" to anyone, it was just a gentle reminder to help keep the balance here at the forum.

I value your imput as you have expressed it here to me in regards to my posts. If something I said really has offended or troubled you, then please email me. Your concerns are important to me, and I don't want you to leave over a misunderstanding, ok? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, this forum was not made to just praise Wizardry 8. I wish you had seen my letter I wrote about the demo, I was bashing on it so much I'm still surprised that Sazerac didn't boot me off the forum for being such a jerk. I included myself as an example, because I know I have a temper and I've been on that side of the fence.

Please try to see things from this side, what would you do? Without any regulation, this forum would end up like those I mentioned. That's not the kind of group I want to belong to, do you?

And yes, as Saz mentioned, the WW forum went through a dark period where a lot of people were on there cursing and being really nasty. Luckily a few of us stood up to them and Ziroc interveined to get rid of the poster who was just being an all out SOB.

Also, when I mentioned "venting" I meant more like the following:

"Damn this stupid game, I don't like the fact that can't put more than 3 points per stat on level up. It sucks, what a piece of s**t, and i'm so f***ing pissed off so I'm going to just sit here and bitch about it!"

Now, that in my mind is a legitimate gripe, and one that I say to myself now and then. And someone did post to complain about it, and that someone was ME. But to what end did doing this help me? It did nothing but made me look like a moron.

So, I could see saying "hey, this system isn't my favorite, but maybe if it was like this, etc, etc". Linda and Ian Currie drop by here occasionaly, as do some of their programmers. Although they may never make another Wizardry title, I'm sure they would appreciate both things in the game we liked, and things we didn't.

But in this particular situation, I'm finding that as I play the game more, I'm starting to understand why these and other changes were made.

So of course you can post about something that is bothering you, like a spot in the game that is hard or any number of things. What I meant in particular is when someone goes on and on about something they hate in the game. What function does that serve? If something was really bothering anyone that much, I'd suggest they write to Sir Tech if it was that important to them.

And sharing your powerful characters? Of course you can do that, we used to run threads with pictures of things like that. That's part of the fun! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was only referring to the hex edit folks who want to spoil huge parts of the game, like Sazerac said. Or those who try to play the game like its Quake. That's fine if they want to do that, but I don't see the point of sharing it here.

Again, sorry for any misunderstandings, and I hope that you reconsider leaving the forum. We value everyone here, and as a moderator, I'm here to help YOU and all the other players have a pleasant gaming experience.

Best,

Scronan
Old 11-28-2001, 03:04 PM   #6
Moni

Don't go!

I have a dislike of this game! It's when you are approaching a battle and all the little windows come up telling you how your characters have advanced in mythology and you can't do crap until you click to make them go away and by that time, the monsters are in your faces...there's no getting first strikes that way! Sometimes I have beat it lol, but more often NOT.
Also, after a battle when your characters gain a level and THEY have to talk about it, you can't just click to shut them up and run from the next wave of monsters! I have nearly gotten my party exterminated more than once that way!

But over all I love the game and I am sure there are ways I can concentrate on beating the windows thing that irks me so much and if I want to brag about a fight or on one of my characters, well, both Saz and Scronan know I will. It is important to a lot of people not to have plots given away though...I don't know all the details of your decision to leave but...

Stick around! We are all new to this game and new to learn each other's little quirks about posting...don't let misunderstandings take you away from such a great place!
Old 11-28-2001, 03:23 PM   #7
Elara
The Magister

BlackRaven, I hope you will stick around. It would be our loss if you go..

Say Moni, you can go into Options and click those messages off if you want. I think it's under General. I actually like those messages, lol. Yes, it gives me a little glow everytime I see someone has pumped up a little more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Elara
Old 11-28-2001, 03:29 PM   #8
Moni

Doh! See, I knew there was a way!
Thanks Elara!
I DO like to see how we are advancing, but sometimes it just gets in the way of (my) timing. Of course, I am always walking straight into multiple encounters in the worst places! That, and the fact that I'm getting older doesn't help with my speed on the mouse clicks or keyboard! *chuckle*
Old 11-28-2001, 05:52 PM   #9
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

Scronan, I guess I totally misunderstood what you were saying. The first thought that jumped into my mind was my post complaining about the combat system. (Did I mention I'm paranoid as well as grumpy?) One of the things I really like about this board is how polite and friendly everyone is to each other. I haven't seen anyone who appeared "out of control" so when you sent your post I just assumed it was aimed at those of us who have complained.

It seems I owe you all a huge appology, expecially Scronan. I appreciate the sentiments you all expressed that I should stay with the board but I have to disagree with one thing. I don't think I would be that great a loss to the board. I do more lurking than posting and I'm the one picking your brains, not the other way around. I thank you all again and I'll be lurking around.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:54 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by BlackRaven:
Scronan, I guess I totally misunderstood what you were saying. The first thought that jumped into my mind was my post complaining about the combat system. (Did I mention I'm paranoid as well as grumpy?) One of the things I really like about this board is how polite and friendly everyone is to each other. I haven't seen anyone who appeared "out of control" so when you sent your post I just assumed it was aimed at those of us who have complained.

It seems I owe you all a huge appology, expecially Scronan. I appreciate the sentiments you all expressed that I should stay with the board but I have to disagree with one thing. I don't think I would be that great a loss to the board. I do more lurking than posting and I'm the one picking your brains, not the other way around. I thank you all again and I'll be lurking around.

Any one person leaving is a loss, BlackRaven. [img]smile.gif[/img] We're a community here. Anyone whom we lose diminishes us all here at the forum.

I for one am glad you are staying. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote