Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

What I am not hearing are protests from Araqi exiles who are actually been on TV, begging us in thier broken English to continue the hunt for Saddam without fail...and are joining our ranks as interpreters and military units so that they can go back and take part in the liberation of thier own country. They feel this is the right thing, so what other nationality can argue with them?...Also, I hear from the news this morning that some of the residents in Iraq approached our alliance forces as they were passing through the outskirts of a town, and prasied us for helping them, both men and women.

They love us! So...why does everyone else have a problem?
We are doing this for Iraq, and they know it.

In fact, we plan on taking Saddam's money from him and using it to help rebuild Iraq the way the people want it.

I continue to see more good in all this than others are expressing in contrary.

Now for the big finale...will somebody please offer me reference to Iraqi people opposing our plan? If any exists, I need to read it, so I can work this out in my head. So far, I have found none, so my opinion only has one side. See my predictament? Any help is appreciated.

[ 03-21-2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 03-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Charean
Hathor

Question Mark

The only place I hear about the demonstrations you are talking about in on NPR (National Public Radio). For some reason, the regular media won't pick it up.

I am happy that the Iraqis are glad to see us. Mostly it is the Kurds, I hear, who have been banished from their home cities to live in the mountains.

I'd have to look up the names - but there are two major religions in Iraq, and Saddam represents the minority one. Apparently, there is no voice for the majority up to now.

I think, however, that it is arrogant of us to force them into democracy if they aren't interested in that. But it would also be incredibly difficult for us to get a consensus with the Iraqi natives scattered about as they are.

I sincerely hope that things work out with them.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Larry, I am currently hearing an emission on a French radio that has invited Iraqi people that oppose both Saddam and the US war. Unfortunately it is in French - I'll try to find the names of these people and if possible texts from them.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

We are also being welcomed by the Shi'ites of the south, whom Saddam cruelly repressed and starved. Prolly won't be so friendly north of Bagdhad, where Saddam hails from (Tikkim, I believe).
Old 03-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks! By the way, since I speak Spanish, I can read a little French, and what I do not understand...I can get my brother to read to me...he speaks French so good French people think he is French Canadian!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Last night on the local news (WFAA, Channel 8, ABC affiliate in Dallas) there were several people of Iraqi descent (some were born in Baghdad; there is a significant Iraqi population in Richardson) who were interviewed for their thoughts about the current campaign. In general, they were sorry to be seeing bombs fall on their native country but were keen to see Saddam Hussein disappear; this ties in closely with the reactions the citizens in Iraq are having. Who wouldn't want a brutal national leader removed? Who wouldn't want the chance to create a better life for themselves?

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
The only place I hear about the demonstrations you are talking about in on NPR (National Public Radio). For some reason, the regular media won't pick it up.
As you well know, many of the general media companies in the US lean to the left, whether a little or a lot. Yes, they will cover events as they unfold because they are newsworthy, but the commentaries--and what they leave out--is where the bias becomes noticeable.

[ 03-21-2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

1. US media no longer leans to the left. Just watch your nightly news to see them genuflect on Dubya's greatness;

2. The absolute best websites for finding atrocities in Iraq are all run by Iraqi-refugee and exile organizations in the first world. These people definately want to be freed.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Actually i watched the CBC newsworld tonite and they were talking to an Iraqi refugee in Jordan.

She was Iraqi and had just arrived in Jordan at a refugee camp in the last two days. Her daughter was very dark, looked very African, about seven to ten years old. The daughter said, translated, that she was missing reading in school, her friends in school, and when asked who was nice she said Saddam Hussien and who was trying to hurt you? the Americans she said! Ten year old girl. She and her mom seemed to be against the Americans and the war. Very adamant in their condemnation of BOMBS dropping from the sky and PLANES flying over head dropping bombs and MISSILES being shot from warships thousands of kilometers away guided to explosion in their cities. Very against it.

Obviously expert brainwashing technique was used to tame this child and her mother as well. From the kindergarten age she was indoctrinated with love for Hussein and his actions and hatred for America and thier actions obviously. The technique used was probably similar to the brainwashing of the Smart child at least insofar as the effectiveness of it. So against war and America she was this child.

Just before this segment on the CBC newsworld was a segment showing a great many (A GREAT MANY) arabs in Bahrain chanting things like Death to America, America is SATAN!, BUSH IS SATAN, American people are in denial, American people are lied to, AMERICA MUST BE DESTROYED! Things like this they were chanting. Brainwashed as well obviously..
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:04 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

About the protests Larry - the main thing that so many people will be protesting is not the rightness or the wrongness of this war (Saddam, Iraq, WOMD, persecution etc) - it is the rightness or wrongness of ANY war - anywhere - ever.

You must realise that there are very high numbers of people from all nations religions, races and creeds that refuse to believe that all problems can not be sorted by talking them through and finding solutions. While we feel we are being more pragmatic because we see force as a viable last resort, the other side feel that we simply do not have the patience to resolve the problem in a non-violent manner.

The sad fact is that they are unlikely to ever embrace our point of view, and we are unlikely to embrace theirs. I think the best we can strive for is to understand where the other side is coming from, even though we disagree.

For my part, I disgree with the no war ever philosophy, because history tells us that leads to abuse by despots and dictators. I disagree with the quick to war philosophy, because that simplifies to the "might is right" rule and inevitably that leads to abuse of power and harm to the people. I agree with the force as a last resort philosophy - the only problem being a good definition of what last resort is.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:28 AM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

One thing with regard to the protests I find puzzling is that the very same people who profess that we are intervening in Iraq to bring democracy to the Iraqui people and presumably to allow them inter alia the right to peacefully demonstrate against their government vehemently oppose those who try to exercise the same right in their own countries.

If someone could explain the mental gymnastics required to get to this position I would be grateful.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote