Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-25-2001, 12:48 PM   #31
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

Tracey - I thought your take on speaking in tongues was a hoot, lmao.

Absynthe the Inappropriate [/B]
I'm glad I'm not the only one to find her humour amusing! I was beginning to wonder if I was weird...

------------------

Old 07-25-2001, 02:07 PM   #32
Absynthe

Fljotsdale - i find that i censor myself heavily to avoid distressing some of the folks here. I do this not out of some sense of obligation, but because I actually care for them. My sense of humor is pretty, well, umm, wrong, for lack of a better word. The more serious something is taken, the more humor potential it has for me, hence the opportunities for humor in religion are pretty thick on the ground. I would like to see more from both Tracey and yourself, as I think you both have a nice grasp of the absurd.

Absynthe: Cruel, Nasty, Neurotic, Paranoid, and Antisocial - but basically happy

Old 07-25-2001, 02:40 PM   #33
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I haven't heard. And yes, I had a good birthday - I'm still recovering today.

Drinking all night were you? I heard hang overs sucked. J/k.
In reply to this thread I think people should speak whatever language they want. If you can't understand it, ask someone or don't bother. Oh yeah if anyone knows about Ziroc's mom please tell us.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:34 PM   #34
tracey
Manshoon

absynthe

you are a sufferer from inappropriate laughter syndrome by the sound of it. it's a very serious condition indeed and i and several of my fellow sufferers are considering applying for funding so that we can form our own self help group! (we're actually not - i hasten to add)

our most recent descent into the naughty world of ILS was my best friend - out on a date with very new potential boyfriend. they were having a very nice evening and had begun to chat about ex's, jeremy confessed that he was still feeling a little bit upset as his ex-girlfriend nora, wasn't so much an ex, as dead. at this point my friend had to look away and sink her fingernails rather hard into her leg - resulting in an expression of pained concern which jeremy took as encouragment.

jeremy continued: she was a keen hill walker (pause, tamsin starts to feel lips twitching and a bubble of giggle rising) but she wasn't very good at it. (inner hysteria threatens to give her a hernia) she went up a hill without a map and got a bit lost and then the mist rolled in and she.....fell into a ravine. tamsin had to leave the table and make a hasty exit into the loo with tears of pain and suppressed laughter rolling down her cheeks.

a few days later, the story got even worse. apparently, jeremy and nora (poor girl) had been having an on/off relationship for 8 years, but had never kissed or anything. well, the weekend that she fell of/into the ravine they had decided that they did love each other and were very happy, but tragically, the one night they actually spent together in the same bed, nora discovered that her period had started, so they never even got to have sex!!! and then she died.

i rather like that story - it's just so bizarre and soooo painfully funny because it's not. tamsin tells it better in the flesh, she keeps saying things like 'it's really not that funny, no. it really isn't'. and then collapsing in a heap of bendy bones.

Old 07-25-2001, 03:46 PM   #35
Absynthe

Tracey! LMAO!! Oh lord, that is exactly what I was talking about! It's sad, tragic, full of pathos, and so damn funny I sprained a rib laughing!
I know a lot of people find this sort of thing to be totally wrong, but I see it as the ultimate catharsis.
So anyway, to avoid dragging this thread way off-topic...I'm going to start a new thread just for the inappropriate among us...

Old 07-25-2001, 05:53 PM   #36
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Of course it is, Djinn, but think for a minute here. What languages do you NOT speak and would you like to be left out of several possibly interesting threads because you couldn't follow them? It happens that English is the biggest common denominator language-wise, that's all.

Cloudy

I'm not sure what your talking about...I was talking about signs in other languages not threads.

On signs: i'm pro for...at least in my country and i would think the US too because its inclusion policies seem to be pretty similar AFAIK...We all live here...we all speak different languages...if you want a sign in a language other than english its my loss for not being able to read it IMHO...I am not going to demand you write it in english. Will i also demand you speak only english to me?...or condemn you for not knowing english in a country that is made up of citzens from the world over regardless of language, race, etc.?

As far as threads in other languages...I don't really care either way...who am I to tell someone what they can and cannot post.
But i do think that due to moderating issues they should probably be in one language...

Does that work with signs too?...To a certain degree i suppose. I know that
in Quebec language on signs is a big issue and caused a lot of debates...some
of which i've gotten into only to regret it. I think that there is a committee that acts as a watchdog to make sure the signs are bi-lingual. I know that if you have a sign in english and it has no french on it you can get fined.
I read an article that said one restauranteur was fined three times for having
the word EXIT on his door in english only. If he did not add the french equivalent he would be facing jail time. Is that not ridiculous? Preservation of francophone culture and language demands that EXIT say 'sortie'
(is that right?) If a chinese store owner in a predominantly chinese neighbourhood has a sign on his door that says 'exit' in chinese only will you fine him? It's a hazy line that needs to be drawn for sure...Sorry for the rant.
I think I understand what you are saying, but I completely disagree with you. You are right to an extent. The US is made up of many different races and cultures and that is part of what makes our country as great as it is. That has nothing to do with the fact that our national language is english. All of our street signs are in english. If you go to a store, the chances are that the person helping will be speaking...yup you guessed it, english. We are not quite as diverse of language as you are up in canada. From what I understand, province to province you have different languages as the norm, right? Out here, the norm is english. I get frustrated when I'm driving around in my "native" country and I can't understand what things are. You could argue conversely "how do you think they feel not understanding english". I would suggest they learn it because it would make their lives much easier. If I moved somewhere where there was a different language spoken, I would learn it as soon as I could. I wouldn't try and convert the populace to speaking my language just because I don't feel like learning.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 07-25-2001, 07:06 PM   #37
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Actually for the most part province to province its english. I live on the west coast where it is mostly english. But in the east lots of french and english. Different dialects and so forth like your southern accents and your brooklyn accents and so on. Here its your Ontario accent, maritimers, and the westerners...sure theres a few others... Ontario french and Quebecois french?
Plus First Nations languages that are still used...dont know how if there are that many left who still speak them though unfortunatly.

In Vancouver, where i have lived in the past and still live a short distance away on Vancouver Island, there is a lot of oriental people. The majority of the people who live there i think are oriental. Even though the language is
'officially' english if the majority of people are chinese shouldnt there signs be in there language? If you go into chinatown or little italy or whatever i would expect the signs to be in that language. i know the official language is english but if the majority of people coming in are not english then sometime down the road, much to my english speaking dismay, the official language will change...wont it? I guess what it comes down to is: 'Do i expect the people in my country to speak english (or french)?' I don't. I live in a multi cultural country with two official languages and i still don't expect you to learn my language. But thats just me and my opinion.

Your right though about the street signs though. This is why virtually everywhere i think there is the universal octagon stop sign, triangular yield etc. It might say 'arret' or 'stop' but its still a big red octagon.

World without borders.
Anyways thanks for debating with me a little Milamber. I do see your side of the story and i respect it...sucks to be in your own town and not know what all the billboards say! Billboards?...er...Then again...

If in the far flung future the EU and the Asian Pacific Consortium and the United African States and the Union of all other Nations join to form One Nation on One Earth...what will the official language be? The language that the majority speaks? How about none...

For some reason i thought that the US did not ever specify that it had an 'official' language. And i wrote my earlier posts with that in mind. I thought it was always assumed that it was english. But I dont know why i thought this, a stray thought...just dumb i guess.

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 07-25-2001).]