Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #11
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Most TVs and VCRs are multi-system, meaning you will be able to use both PAL and NTSC formats on them. My TV and VCR have this feature. Check to see if yours does the same. If not, some video stores will do this conversion for you (at a price).

Otherwise, ask the retailer if they have the tapes available in NTSC format.

Unfortunately you can only buy multi-system VCRs outside of the US -- at least that's what my VCR manufacturer said when I called them. My current VCR will not support the PAL format.

Unfortunately the tapes do not come in NTSC format.

Right now I think my best option is to buy the DVD. Most DVD players support different formats (instead of PAL and NTSC it's region1 and region2 -- or something like that). I can then find a friend who can transfer the tape to VHS, or convince my wife that this $15 tape is worth buying a $175 DVD player Wish me luck!

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:03 PM   #12
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Go for the dvd player much better graphic quality and sound quality also may added cool features to most dvds. And you don't really have to wory about format mabe the reigon thing though, not shoure about that.

------------------
People are born and people die and yeat life goes on without a care.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:32 PM   #13
Sir_Tainly

Just my 2 penneth, from what my I know PAL has support for a greater range of colours than NTSC, hence why you sometimes see reds go pink when an NTSC video converted to PAL. VCRs supporting NTSC are still quite rare in the UK.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 09-05-2001, 09:24 PM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Just my 2 penneth, from what my I know PAL has support for a greater range of colours than NTSC, hence why you sometimes see reds go pink when an NTSC video converted to PAL. VCRs supporting NTSC are still quite rare in the UK.

That's funny, multi-system VCRs and TVs are pretty much standard here in Australia and have been for a while, even though we have PAL as our format.

------------------
Old 09-05-2001, 10:22 PM   #15
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I'm not really sure what the deal is, but I live in the US and I have a VCR that can handle both NTSC and PAL. Even if it couldn't though, I have a TV card in my computer that can handle both too. I bought the VCR like 10 years ago. Maybe they are meaning new ones? Not sure. I've only played one PAL tape though. A friend of the family lives in England and he sent us his wedding tape. It was in PAL format. Seemed like pretty good picture quality.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL