Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 04-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Farcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

are the search ability auto turned on or do i have to turn it on manually? and is there any way to find out traps without using search, also you know how there are chest that you can't bash open? how do u get them to open? when i try to use the ability unlock or w/e its called it says you can't use this skill. Yaya i'm lvl 4 now =)
Old 04-17-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
Mystique
The Magister

1: Use the find traps skill.
2: Some chests are made of iron and needs to be bashed with big crushing weapons. Or score a critical hit with a slashing/piercing weapon.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If you're an elf, the search is always on.
And you can't pick locks without skill points in Open Locks/Pick Locks/Whatever It's Called... I suggest you either pick up some arrows that deal elemental damage and use them to attack difficult chests, or pick up Tomi and have him handle the traps and locks for you.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

I haven't fully understood the Search Mode yet, but I know you can detect traps without having it turned on.

As Illumina mentioned, you need to have skill points assigned to some skills, like Open Locks and Disarm Traps, in order to use them, while works without. Putting skill points there raises your chance of success, of course.

Putting only one point into Open Locks or Disarm Traps allows you to use them.

To find/disarm a trap there are two ways:
* Finding it manually and disarm it with the Search and Disarm Traps skill.
* Use the Find Traps spell. It says in the description that it gives you a +10 bonus to Search check; Heck no, it finds and disarms all traps nearby.

To open a locked chest or door:
* If there's a key, find it.
* Use the Open Locks skill.
* Bash it open. All chests have some form of physical damage resistance, so using weapons or spells that do elemental damage is your best shot. Hitting hard might also help, Power Attack comes to mind.
* Use the Knock spell, it opens all locked chests and doors nearby.

Use the means you have available from the list above.
BTW Welcome to Ironworksforum! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-17-2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 04-18-2004, 06:07 AM   #5
Farcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok thx well i'm finally lvl 5 paladin now and i got more question

Why do i have -15 Parry skill?

What does armor penalty mean? i got like -17 but i'm wearing half plate but i also got like an AC of 24

I just recently got disarm trap, how do u use em? i try to do the usual way of putting them in the skill bar but i can't seem to find the skill.

Also how are damaged done? i know the % of hitting and all but how exactly are damaged delt?

Thx all, and i'm sure i will have more question furture on

oh yeh also what henchmen should i get? i heard monk and cleric own in D&D3 should i get those henchmen? i'm new so i just want a strong guy to kik some goblin a$$

[ 04-18-2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Farcus ]
Old 04-18-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Parry is a defensive skill that allows you to block incoming attacks. I believe your dexterity and type of armour affects it, so your half-plate would probably give a penalty to your Parry skill, hence the -15.

Armour penalty is how much some skills are affected by the type of armour your wear. The aforementioned Parry, stealth skills and a few others are affected negatively by your armour. The heavier the armour, the higher the penalty will be. If you don't intend to use these skills, the penalties doesn't matter. I mean, you're a Paladin, not a Rogue.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Farcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

"pick up Tomi and have him handle the traps and locks for you."

where do u get this tomi? i'm still in chapter 1 and i can't seem to find anybody that can open chest for me =/ i even hired that sorc with the bow and everytime i open lock he says all this crap but doesn't open the lock for me =/. Where can i get some knock spells? and can i use it since i'm a paladin? i got like 11 wisdom
Old 04-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Tomi is near the exit of the temple in the Core District. A short fellow with a knife.

You can buy or find scrolls of Knock, but since you're a Paladin, you can't use them. Your best bet is to either use Tomi, or simply bash the chests. Bashing will be much easier once you get your hands on a weapon that does some form of elemental damage. Talk to the smith Marrok under the Knight's Arms, he can make some for you.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
espeed
Dungeon Master

you cannot cast knock unless you multi-class to wizard/sorc and get some levels in that class.

Tomi is in the hall of justice in the city core, hes right next to the entrance.

[ 04-18-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: espeed ]
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #10
Farcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah Ha thx a billion =)