Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 08:24 PM   #1
Aurican
Elminster

What is it called in the game?

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Old 06-05-2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

Also, what type of attack is it.. Like, if I were to make a save what type of save would it have?

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Old 06-05-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

I believe it is called psionic blast.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:30 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Illithids have the dreaded psionic blast and the mind-draining attack. Both of these are innate abilities and don't have saves, per se. You would have to edit those abilities and make them have a saving throw, or give yourself some sort of resistance/invulnerability to those attacks.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 06-06-2001, 12:10 AM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yes I believe a Mind Flayer mind drain attack only takes a sucessful hit in melee combat to work, it drains 4 INT. If your INT drops below 0 because of Mind drains, you die.

Thus if you had 6 INT, you can take 2 mind drains before dying, if you had 18 INT, you can take 5 drains before dying. A hint, if your warriors are going into battle with Mindflayers, a good thing to do is use INT raising potions on them so they can survive a extra Drain or 2. Gives your potions of Genius something to actually use on. Plus the Mind focusing potions work real well also, the extra +3 Dex really helps.

Mind blasts are distance attacks that stun opponents. If you use items that prevent confusion, charm, etc. you can still be stunned by a mind blast.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:05 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Illithids use Psionic Blast to stun opponents. There is no save to this; the only way you can avoid it is by using the cleric spell Chaotic Commands. Once you are stunned into a fugue state they will use an attack called Psychic Drain which ALWAYS hits (no to hit roll required once they are in melee range). This will get through protections like stoneskins. Each hit will drain you of 4 pts of Intelligence. Once you hit zero, you're dead. The only way to delay this is to kill them first, or to use potions which temporarily increase your intelligence.

------------------
Old 06-06-2001, 09:11 AM   #7
Graccus
Dungeon Master

I think the potion og mind shielding that Roger sells in the sewers also protects a character from the Psi Blasts. Anomen and Jaheira could only cast 5 Chaotic Commands, so I used the Mind Shielding potion on Keldorn. Worked like a charm...
Old 06-06-2001, 09:14 AM   #8
Volourn
Manshoon

Actually, you do get a saving throw vs spell with a negative, I believe. I say this b/c my dwarf usually ignores this attack b/c his s/t is in the negatives so he hardly fails, and keeps on trucking.