Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I've been playing this for the last couple of days and I've got to say that it's looking pretty smooth

This game is definately for anyone that enjoyed Warcraft2 and all its Peons, Pesants and Paladins.

The biggest difference in this version would of course have to be the fact that there are four races to choose from instead of just the two, now instead of just humies and orcs busting each others gut you have a choice of Undead (fast producing, not quite so tough IMO) and Night elves (Havn't tried these guys fully yet but I prefer their heroes to anyone elses)

- yes you can now produce heroes (From your town hall, so you can summon them as soon as the game starts if you wish) these heroes will gain levels and special abilities as the game progresses, they also have an inventory where you can place stuff from healing potions to scrolls of town portal to crystal balls to tomes of experience to belts of giant strength to... the list goes on.

There are also "unaligned" creatures on the map i.e. creatures that will attack anyone. These creatures usually guard something of significance
whether it's a gold mine, a mercenary outpost (Where you can hire extra troops), a pool of healing etc... (I think there's about five or six different types of buildings that you can buy or hire from).
These creatures range from the very easy to kill gnoll poachers up to the extremely hard to kill (without more than 20 troops [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Granite Goloms.

Disclaimer: As this is just the beta version, some or all of what I have typed here may not be in the final version, I just wanted to give you an idea of what this awesome game is going to be like. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I like it so far as well. It takes some getting used to, but it is very cool overall. The one thing that's driving me nuts so far is how when you get more people, you start getting less gold for each peasant that is mining. You can't just set get a bunch of peasants mining and then forget about them like you could in warcraft 2 and starcraft.

I've been having a blast playing multi on my lan. If any of you want info on how to do that, check this site out.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 03-26-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
Downunda

I reckon that upkeep thing is one of the best things about it - no more massing huge armies to crush the opposition, it means lots of smaller scale battles rather than one huge one
Old 03-26-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

Cool, your in beta?!?!?! I've been looking at the sight, and it seems really cool. The screenshots are also very cool. But when will it come out. I'm still playing Warcraft 2, and the expansion, just for fun, and to get ready for warcraft 3.

Blizzard Entertainment is also coming out with an RPG called World of Warcraft which takes place 3 years after Reign of Chaos (Warcraft 3)
Old 03-26-2002, 10:48 PM   #5
Downunda

There is still quite a few bugs along with other stuff...
(including an idle peasant button! - you don't realize how often you use this until you have to go searching for wisps/ghouls/peons/peasants that aren't doing anything [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
...to do, so my guess is that it is still some time away (sorry)

Anyway NWN will be here soon... *big grin*
Old 03-26-2002, 11:19 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

In Age of Empires and Empire Earth, Idle peasants and villagers is so useful. I'm glad they put it in, cuz it will be so useful. Specially when your putting someone under siege, and the battle is finished, you just click on the idle button to see who's just sitting there. Downunda, did you have a chance to run into any dragons? And how was the neutral guys AI? I'm really curious.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:16 AM   #7
Downunda

There are Wyverns, Hippogriffs, Frost Wyrms (more like a bone dragon if you ask me) and Griffons - most need the highest upgrades to be built and I find that by the time you are ready to build them your heroes and regular grunts will be more worthwhile, but maybe it's just the way I play. *shrugs*

As for AI, I don't see any problem with it, they tend to try and attack one of your troops at a time which makes sense but to tell the truth I've not really taken much notice (in other words it must be good 'cause I can't think of anything wrong with it [img]smile.gif[/img] )