Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-26-2002, 05:28 PM   #11
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Are you sure you aren't just saying this to make people think you are a "nice" person (cloudy excluded!!! )
I would never say anything just to make other people think I am any sort of person; I simply speak my mind. That, of course, is a wonderful side effect of not worrying about what other people think of me.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #12
Lavindathar
Harper

You'll pay in the long run?

Oh please.

Even if we do, so what? Live for the now. You might die tomorrow.

And the more and more people raise prices, the less and less people will buy them.

And just to counter your point, if the economic value of things goes up, so will the wages that people get paid..

IE - JAPAN. They get payed a fortune, because everything over there costs so much.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:38 PM   #13
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well, Lavindathar, think of it this way. If the checkout chick had charged you double instead of half, would you go back and ask for your money back? Or would you just say, oh well, it will all even out? If you think them charging you too much is wrong, then you taking something without paying for it is wrong too.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #14
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world free from greed? - large corporations included [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I was going to say pretty much what Aelia said. [img]smile.gif[/img] The bottom line for me is that if I KNOW I am stealing (yes, folks taking something and not paying no matter whose 'fault' you want to make it, IS stealing), then I will make it right,I'm supposed to follow those commandments and one of 'em says "Thou shalt not steal". My conscience won't allow anything else.

My moral and religious beliefs make it clear that it's the right thing to do. There's this 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' thing going there too. Do I want someone ripping me off? Of course not. I also firmly believe that honesty and integrity count for something.

Frankly it disturbs me to hear all this "so what, it's a big company' stuff. It's not any more right to steal from them than it is to steal from your parents, me or the kid who delivers the paper. And saying 'oh well they make a lot of money' doesn't cut it, as far as I'm concerned. If it was me making the money because I had the know how and the business skills to do it, I'd not want to be ripped off so why is it right for me to do it just because it is someone else who suffers the loss? If your mom sold those things for a living would it be right for guys to come in and pay for half what they take? Nope.. not in my book. Sorry,gang, I am pretty set on this issue. And, I'm not saying it to be 'nice'. I just feel it's the right way to act.

And if you're going purely on your own self-interest and not on morality and ethics, keep in mind what was mentioned about the markup being made to future sales in order to make up the losses. You would then lose when you buy more and you'd be part of the reason everyone else did to.

Cloudy

btw..Lav, good issue to raise. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-26-2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-26-2002, 07:52 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Zartan

Just too make the matter a little more personal, My job performance and potential for bonus and advancment is partially reflected in the amount of loss my store incurs. This is noraml retail business.
In general high shrink has caused stores to close and people to lose jobs. Every little bit of merchandise that walks out unpaid for takes way from somebody's livelyhood. Believe me, every little bit adds up.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:28 PM   #17
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Great discussion, mates.

I would probably look at the receipt and ask the cashier if it was on sale or something. If she looks at the stuff and says it's right, then in my eyes it's right. You gave her the chance to make it right.

AND

In your original post, didn't you say it was a boxed set? Doesn't that mean it has both in the same case ie one price.

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 03-27-2002, 01:49 PM   #18
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Great discussion, mates.

I would probably look at the receipt and ask the cashier if it was on sale or something. If she looks at the stuff and says it's right, then in my eyes it's right. You gave her the chance to make it right.

AND

In your original post, didn't you say it was a boxed set? Doesn't that mean it has both in the same case ie one price.

BK
Yes, but it was in a sleave. She took one DVD out, scanned it, and left the other in.

BTW guys, maybe when I am older, I will look at this differently. But I am a 17yr old, and for me £15 is quite a bit of money!! So yes, I'd still take it.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:02 PM   #19
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Great discussion, mates.

AND

BK
Black Knight! Good to see you! I was wondering what happened to you. You were one of the first persons to reply to my first post here. He. I remember that stuff! "Own Game" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008