Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 02:58 PM   #11
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I quit on June 18th. Stopped cold as I started a new job - no patches, no gum no hypnosis, no acupuncture.

My experience is that even though I am rapidly becoming extermely hacked off with my new work, and the stress levels are going through the roof, I have not been seriously tempted to start smoking again. I may be teetering on the edge of a mid-life crisis, but I reckon I've got the tobacco demons beat for now

My two bits of advice are:-

1) Quit when you want to, and by that I mean when it's important to you.

2) Vary your routine. Smoking becomes associated with trigger events e.g. coffe breaks at certain times. Try to vary your routine to break the link.

In any event - good luck - it ain't easy.

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 04:58 PM   #12
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Good luck!!! I hope you can do it. I've tried to quit several times myself, but without any luck. My problem is like what has already been mentioned. I like to smoke, and the only reason's that I've quit is for family, sickness, etc. Not the right reason's at all. But, when I have quit, here are some of the things that I've tried (and probably would have helped if I had really wanted to quit):

1. Vary your routine (as Mouse says). Change when you take breaks, etc.
2. Find something else to occupy your hands on your mouth. Many times the cravings come just from having them free. Chew gum or candy, etc.
3. Drink lots of water. It helps to get your system completely cleared out, and get you over the withdrawal.
4. Check into the patch, or gum, or drugs to help you. In this day and age where you can get mediciation for anything, I don't see any reason why anyone would want to try to go cold-turkey when they can ease themselves off slowly.

I hope this helps, and keep us posted. Maybe your success will the unlucky saps like Kdog and I that can't seem to kick it for good.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 06:31 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

You know what I want to know??

What the hell do you non smokers do when it's time to smoke a cigarette? I get in my car...and want to smoke. I get done eating...and want to smoke. Have my morning coffee...and want to smoke. I affectionately caress my beer...and want to smoke. There are just some times when it seems you are supposed to smoke. What do non smokers do during these times?

I know it's a rhetorical question and I don't expect any answers.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-30-2001, 06:38 PM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well I stoped smoking two and a half years ago. I quit smoking together with a friend. We tookout our packs and decided, no more. We allowed oursleves to have the occasional cigar every now and then. I had five, now I can´t smoke cigars cause they make me more or less ill. I do take some smokes of a cigarill if the mood and dinner is right and they serve real espresso after dinner, but only a few smokes.. Never a hole cigarill.

Easiest way is to really really really REALLY want to stop for yourself. I stopped because I missed the times I could run after a bus for a couple of hundred meters without feeling that I felt the sensation of dying after a few steps. I missed the times I could run easily down or UP the stairs without breathing like an elephant in mating season...

Now I can run up and down the stairs a couple of times and still be able to talk So my advice is to start some physical activity and see the progress. To see that you actually are getting better is a great kick! You are going to love it. And after a couple of weeks, go out and order your favourite meal. Suck on every bite! Feel all the wonders the meal holds, the sensation of smell and taste. Thoose are great benificials you get from quiting!

It is not easy to quite, but I had it pictured in my mind to stop and felt ready, and if you are not alone, you can get some encouragment by others to help you through it.

Good luck Milamber!! And stay clear of the party smoking! That pack in your coat next day is a killer!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 06:53 PM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

What the hell do you non smokers do when it's time to smoke a cigarette? I get in my car...and want to smoke. I get done eating...and want to smoke. Have my morning coffee...and want to smoke. I affectionately caress my beer...and want to smoke. There are just some times when it seems you are supposed to smoke. What do non smokers do during these times?

Do what you would do but without the cigarette. Breathe in the air. Have a chat, some reflection. Stop, sit, think. Whatever it is you normally do while you're smoking, just without the tobacco going down your windpipe.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 06:57 PM   #16
Rikard

Quote:

EAT CHOCOLATE
And summon 's

------------------

OMG I have no Arms
Wait I don't have a body either

Old 08-30-2001, 08:08 PM   #17
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:

EAT CHOCOLATE
And summon 's

Milamber he lies!
Those bunnies will only taunt you further.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-30-2001, 08:25 PM   #18
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:

First of all, good luck! I think it´s a good question. On thursday, when I´m over at the pub and have a pint of cold beer, I drink continuously until my glass is empty although I´m not even thirsty. You´re being led into temptation. Why is that so? I´m no drunkard, BTW. I don´t know if that is your kind of relaxation, but when I´m bored, sitting at home, not knowing what to do, I go to the basketball court. Even if there´s nobody there, I shoot free throws and 3-pointers ´til 10 P.M. That is the recreation which keeps me from starting to smoke.

------------------
Calvin the bold the malt beer lord is in!
Old 08-30-2001, 08:43 PM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I do not smoke, but I have knowledge from other people who have told me how they succeeded.

1. Cinnamin chewing gum.= Gives your mouth something to do and produces that feeling in your mouth that you long for.
2. Cary a pencil or something similar in your fingers = People who are trying to quit fidget with their hands, wanting to hold something in their fingers. Put something there to ease your nerves.
3. Medication = My dad's example of triumph. There is a drug on the market (cannot think of the name) that is for a general use to stop addictions. It can be bought over the counter. It carries with it the SAME chemicals that doctors prescribe (more expensivley), to stop smoking. For a fraction of the price, you can take this over-the-counter medicine, and like my dad put it, never feel the need to waste time on lighting a cigarette.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Third member of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Old 08-30-2001, 09:38 PM   #20
Moni

Good answers Larry!

You can also try sunflower seeds...they keep your hands and mouth busy. So do pistachios

Definitely when you are in the pub, snack...peanuts, popcorn, healthy stuff that won't add excess weight.

Being one that likes to smoke, it will continue to be a test of will power and a personal challenge for some time, but there will come a day when you can taste your foods and smell the various aromas around you and you will wonder why you ever started. Then a smoker will pass you and you'll smell an old ashtray in their clothes and hair and you think to yourself "Thank Goodness that's not me!"

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!