Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-12-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

I am sorry that some people posting feel so attacked by my posts. (I am assuming this is the case, as I have read a number of response posts which are quite aggressive in tone.) It was not my intention to attack, and I can only put it down to my rather amateur debating skills. I feel that too many times I have not succeeded in saying clearly what I wanted to say. Had I been clearer, perhaps my points would have been better understood.

This being the case, I have decided to go with the very strong feeling that I had on this just a few days ago, and stop posting on the war topic. It is really not doing me any good at all, physically, emotionally or spiritually.

See you all on Gen.Con!!

This is a passionate subject that affects us all in many ways. The way we view collective response and our own singular response to events sometimes internally conflict. Hearing alternate opinions can raise spectre from the past in us as we seek to rationalise our own views of right and wrong on a singular and collective level.

My reaction against "who is to blame" is intensely personal because of my situation as both a child and a husband. It is important for me to maintain consistency between my worldview and my views on my personal circumstance - to avoid hypocrisy. When discussing broad issues like this, you're not just discussing an issue with me, but painful aspects of my marriage that nearly destroyed me.

Put simply it's not you, it's me.

I am passionately for or against your ideas, not you as a person Silver Cheetah. I hold you no ill will, and did not wish to see you remove yourself from the war forum.

That said, distance can do wonders for perception.

Anyhow, you have valid opinions which can further the benefit of the planet. Disagreement can provide refinement of those ideas. Through resistance we either grow stronger or change path.

I hope you have a good night, and that the forum becomes a place of idea sharing, companionship and relaxation rather than stress. God knows there's enough stress in our lives without a hobby being so as well.

Apologies for my fire. I accept yours as well.

Regards and good health

Hugh

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old 10-12-2001, 05:58 PM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I hope I havn't truly worsened your day with my responses. I'm a somewhat agressive conversationalist(If you havn't noticed). I've been raised that way. I don't let stuff like barbs or jibes get to me and am quick to throw them when I feel "pricked". I guess I simply assumed others would be the same way. I'm trying to tone it down a bit.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-12-2001, 07:03 PM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

This is a passionate subject that affects us all in many ways. The way we view collective response and our own singular response to events sometimes internally conflict. Hearing alternate opinions can raise spectre from the past in us as we seek to rationalise our own views of right and wrong on a singular and collective level.

My reaction against "who is to blame" is intensely personal because of my situation as both a child and a husband. It is important for me to maintain consistency between my worldview and my views on my personal circumstance - to avoid hypocrisy. When discussing broad issues like this, you're not just discussing an issue with me, but painful aspects of my marriage that nearly destroyed me.

Put simply it's not you, it's me.

I am passionately for or against your ideas, not you as a person Silver Cheetah. I hold you no ill will, and did not wish to see you remove yourself from the war forum.

That said, distance can do wonders for perception.

Anyhow, you have valid opinions which can further the benefit of the planet. Disagreement can provide refinement of those ideas. Through resistance we either grow stronger or change path.

I hope you have a good night, and that the forum becomes a place of idea sharing, companionship and relaxation rather than stress. God knows there's enough stress in our lives without a hobby being so as well.

Apologies for my fire. I accept yours as well.

Regards and good health

Hugh

Apology accepted, Hugh! and thank you for your explanation. Although I often disagree with you, and sometimes find you a little 'harsh' in responding, I believe you to be a fine and sincere person. I am also aware that you are living through a difficult time both personally, and as a member of the collective, and I deeply sympathise.

I have a particular problem with your posts - as with you, this is due to past 'spectres'. Something in the way you put things sometimes brings up feelings from the past to do with my father, who is a violent and abusive man who brooks no contradiction. He must always be right. I find you neither violent or abusive in your posts, but sometimes there is an element which reminds me of painful incidents from the past. I have had very strong reactions to a number of your posts - I have felt dizzy, sick and wanting to lie down.

There is something very deep going on here to do with my own past trauma, and you are the quite unwitting and blameless cause of it. I'm not critising here, please do not think that!, I just wanted to share this with you, as being my true feeling on this matter.

After some thought, I have decided that, for the time being at least, I shall stay off the war forum, and stick with gen. con. I shall also spend time on some of my very neglected creative activities! Yes, I need rest and relaxation, creativity and fun!

NB. I agree totally about disagreement refining ideas. It's one of the elements I find very attractive about the forum.

Mandy.

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-12-2001, 07:09 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I hope I havn't truly worsened your day with my responses. I'm a somewhat agressive conversationalist(If you havn't noticed). I've been raised that way. I don't let stuff like barbs or jibes get to me and am quick to throw them when I feel "pricked". I guess I simply assumed others would be the same way. I'm trying to tone it down a bit.

Thanks for that, Sir K! Sweet of you, very......

------------------

Old 10-12-2001, 07:12 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Thanks for that, Sir K! Sweet of you, very......

Awww Shucks!
Old 10-13-2001, 07:11 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Mandy, a very brave post there. Thankyou for taking the time and effort to do so. It explains certain things that I shall be more mindful of in future.
Interesting that we have both known aggression from a receiving end and that this actually contributed to our disagreement. I am so sorry to hear of your situation and empathise.

I wonder if this has anything to do with your mothers reactions to me as well? Hmmmm

Anyhow Mandy, I respect you for posting this. As I said, I shall be mindful of this new knowledge. You have a good night or day OK?

Cheers

Hugh

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-13-2001, 11:21 PM   #7
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Mandy, a very brave post there. Thankyou for taking the time and effort to do so. It explains certain things that I shall be more mindful of in future.
Interesting that we have both known aggression from a receiving end and that this actually contributed to our disagreement. I am so sorry to hear of your situation and empathise.

I wonder if this has anything to do with your mothers reactions to me as well? Hmmmm

Anyhow Mandy, I respect you for posting this. As I said, I shall be mindful of this new knowledge. You have a good night or day OK?

Cheers

Hugh

It was brave of both of you to share those insights into yourselves.

Many of us carry baggage from our childhoods. We can strive to overcome it, and even succeed, but I don't think we can ever entirely become free of those formative forces. It continues to affect us, even if only in the form of being something we are constantly on guard against in ourselves.

I know who I am today is in some ways a reaction against my own father, who was domineering and tyrannical, often in arbitrary and mean ways. I think that explains much about my deeply ingrained distrust of authority.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:26 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I got nothing to share now... I feel like a piece of white paper lay bare on the desk, everyone can see whats on it...

good luck everyone... for whatever things you do
Old 10-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
I got nothing to share now... I feel like a piece of white paper lay bare on the desk, everyone can see whats on it...

good luck everyone... for whatever things you do
Thanks 250, and here's wishing the same right back to you !!

------------------

Old 10-14-2001, 03:44 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

WHAT reaction to you?! Hey? Hey?

LOL! Seriously, I'm very fond of you Yorick! But, yes, I DO overreact to the way you express yourself, sometimes - just as you do to me!

Yes, it is partly due to 17 years of physical and emotional abuse from my husband. I was living a breakdown that no-one was aware of for much of that time, not even medical practitioners, because I was a good actress. I spent all my time in 'public' being a 'nice, gentle person'. My children suffered from my hair-trigger frustrated anger though.
But it wasn't just my husband. My childhood had been pretty dreadful, too, in many ways, though I have some good memories. Suffice to say that I was mentally and sexually abused by my brother for for several years, as well as being attacked and abused by him and some of his friends when I was only about 8. My parents didn't believe me, so I never told about the later stuff. And I was always bully-fodder at school.
Enough of this! No-one bullies me now.
The old bird is too tough, lol!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-14-2001).]