Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Alright...anyone heard of GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System)????
Now that I have learned some of the basics of AD&D, I was ready to begin playing with some people in my area, but they say that AD&D is old stuff and that there is a better way of RPG. It is called GURPS. They told me to learn it, because it does not have many of the stupid restrictions that AD&D does. They said that I can join once I learn the basics. So will somebody teach me???
Also, I have been surfing the net and finding alot of AD&D stuff, like new monsters, items, magic, etc. created and submitted by people who love to play, but are in need of bigger and better things (or a DM is fed up with the PC's becoming god-like, and has created some nasty surprises for them.) Anyone know if these submissions are legal playing stuff? Are they universally recognized??? Anyone know any good sites to visit???

------------------

Larry of the Holy Flame
Old 03-14-2001, 09:50 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Do you talk about AD&D3 ? Or older AD&Ds ? Because AD&D3 is MUCH better than older versions. I don't know about GURPS.

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 09:53 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

(Burps) Oops sorry Larry, I must have drunk some turps (BURP)

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-14-2001, 10:08 AM   #4
Sir_Tainly

IIRC Gurps is a generic roleplay system - whereby the DM/GM develops the history, background etc. Gurps itself is only a rules framework, that can be combined with any setting. I believe there are modules for Gurps with specific backgrounds, but I am not sure.

------------------

Your ad here?

Old 03-14-2001, 10:13 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, OKI I´ll try to explain it as far as I know..

I have never really played GURPS, but I have read about it and have friends who have tried it. The game is builed on the "basic" set insteadd of the now familiar DoD system. Basic is builed on attributes that gives a basic value to different skills and uses percent using D10 to decide your fate. GURPS rulebook is about how to create a character which is the sme for all the GURPS games, the sourcebooks lets you then take control over different environments and worlds, from fantasy to space.

Personally i prefer the DoD 3:ed becasue it is a solid system with good feedback from books and alot of sourcebooks, the now open format lets thirdparties make rulebooks, sourcebooks using the D20 system, i.e the corerules for DoD 3 edition. Alots of names eh?

Well GURPS is fun if you hve alot of sourcebooks, DoD you can play with the Character book and the Dungeon master guide, and you can use your own inspiration and quickly set off into any realn you like.

MYHO this is.. and with evil Yoda beside me, talking like this i am.. *Wraff!Ä
hehe, one evvil Yoda less ther now be *WOLFGRIN*

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-14-2001, 10:31 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Alright...anyone heard of GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System)????
Now that I have learned some of the basics of AD&D, I was ready to begin playing with some people in my area, but they say that AD&D is old stuff and that there is a better way of RPG. It is called GURPS. They told me to learn it, because it does not have many of the stupid restrictions that AD&D does. They said that I can join once I learn the basics. So will somebody teach me???
Also, I have been surfing the net and finding alot of AD&D stuff, like new monsters, items, magic, etc. created and submitted by people who love to play, but are in need of bigger and better things (or a DM is fed up with the PC's becoming god-like, and has created some nasty surprises for them.) Anyone know if these submissions are legal playing stuff? Are they universally recognized??? Anyone know any good sites to visit???

I agree with you Wolfgir. GURPS has been around for awhile. It's becoming rather antique itself. There's nothing wrong with the system, but D&D has definitely changed. Back in 94, I had a friend that swore by GURPS. I never really could get into it too much. They had skills and other stuff too, but most of what I had seen was computer generated. If you do a wildcard search on GURPS, I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of information on it. Good luck to you though. After all, if you want to play with a group, you have to find a group to play with. If this means that all you have available is GURPS, I'd say go for it. If you can find others to play D&D with though, I would recommend that instead.

I just did a search and one site in particular looked fairly promising.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 12:52 PM   #7
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

One would think that if simply finding info on GURPS is difficult, it can't bee all that hot a commodity. I would definitely stick to D&D. Sure, there may be tons of rules but I have too things to point out. A) Rules are made for breaking and B) I haven't read a D&D sourcebook yet that doesn't remind you that they are guidelines only and, ultimately, the DM(GM) is GOD and what (s)he says is the final word in that game.