Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-14-2001, 10:44 PM   #1
peipei_lin
The Magister

I might be the first person ever to ask this kind of question, but I just don't get it:

1. What does it mean when a weapon has a stat for damage- 1d8 ?? (or could be anything else)

2. What is THACO ?

3. What is Saving Throw ?

4. What is Save vs. ?

If you can answer these...thnku very much, if not, don't worry...
Never will the reality be more grander then dreams...<br />Thats why many people fail. Then again, to those who succeed, they must had dreamed as well...<br />The world is of 2 equal planes, the one we are in, is the one of opposite that is opposite to our plane. It is seemingly difficult to understand, buy would anyone notice? <br /><br />---so sayeth the God of Wisdom<br /> Windspear
Old 11-14-2001, 11:01 PM   #2
chinese noodle
Manshoon

1d8 is from original role playing, it means it will do 1 8 sided dice of damage, ie you role 1d8 sided dice and what ever comes up is the damage, also 1d8+5 has a minimum of 6 (1 +5) and a max of 13 (8+5)

thaco stands for To Hit Armour Class Zero, so if you hav a thaco of 15
and your facing a bad guy with AC 0, you have to role a 15 or higher to hit him, everything is worked out by this so An AC of 1 would need 14, AC 2 would need 13 etc.also it works upwards AC -1 needs 16 to hit, and once you get to a point where u woould need higher than 20 whenever you role a 20 you will always hit

saving throws are just what you have have to role EQUAL TO OR OVER on a 20 sided dice if you have a spell or whatever cast at you (that can be saved against), so if you have a save vs spell of 15 and someone casts a spell that you can save against, you must role a 15,16,17,18,19 or a 20

there you are...

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: chinese noodle ]

Old 11-14-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by peipei_lin:
I might be the first person ever to ask this kind of question, but I just don't get it:

1. What does it mean when a weapon has a stat for damage- 1d8 ?? (or could be anything else)

2. What is THACO ?

3. What is Saving Throw ?

4. What is Save vs. ?

If you can answer these...thnku very much, if not, don't worry...

1) 1d8 means that it'll roll a die with 8 sides, which means you have the possibility of getting damage, 1, 2, 3... 8. 2d8 means rolling 2 dices with 8 sides, with the possible damage of 2-16

2) Thac0 is the acynym (spelling?) for To hit armor class 0, eh, someone else will explain it, but the lower, the better

3) eh, someone else will explain it, the lower the bgetter.

4) eh

uggh, you beat me.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Barloc ]

Old 11-14-2001, 11:08 PM   #4
Zerthimon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1. 1d8 = 1 8-sided die. XdY; where X is equal to the number of dice rolled and Y is equal to the number of sides of each die. I think by the time I finish writing this, it should be well enough explained.

2. Thac0 is an acronym for "To hit Armor Class 0", which basically means if you opponent has 0 armor, the need to roll at least your thac0 # on a d20 to hit him/her/it. Of course if their AC is not 0, you adjust your required roll accodringly (therefore, a negative AC is better than a positive for the defender. Ex: A is attacking B. A has a Thac0 of 10. B's AC is -2. A has to roll a 12 to hit B.) A roll of 20 is a critical hit (hit no matter what, for double damage unless prevented by a helmet or some such), 0 is a critical miss (usually the character gets a somewhat longer delay between swings after they critically miss; in AD&D stuff like weapons are broken and dropped also happens.)

3. Saving throws are rolls on a d20 required of a character to make in order to resist a certain type of force, be it magic, a dragon's breath, etc.

4. Save vs..., explained in 3.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Zerthimon ]

Old 11-15-2001, 02:25 AM   #5
peipei_lin
The Magister

Thanks alot you guys... I appreciate it!
Never will the reality be more grander then dreams...<br />Thats why many people fail. Then again, to those who succeed, they must had dreamed as well...<br />The world is of 2 equal planes, the one we are in, is the one of opposite that is opposite to our plane. It is seemingly difficult to understand, buy would anyone notice? <br /><br />---so sayeth the God of Wisdom<br /> Windspear