Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I hate them,it dosent make sence!!Even if it is the most powerful char in the game

think about it,A Kensai trains sooo much on battling with swords tobecome so good at it,so where dose have have time to learn spells?

and then flip it around

A mage has to spend hours upon hours to get his spells right he has to memorize every word too every spell,so where dose he have time to get soo good with the sword?
Old 05-07-2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Leodrish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeh as I wrote in the "Evertone partisipate!" section.
They rock, but I admitt it's very strange.

Well, I played a halfelf Fighter/Thief in BGI and he was outstanding, not so great in BGII though, my favorite now is a human Kensai/Mage.
Started with a Kensai, let her reach tenth level, dualclassed to a Mage.
Equip her with Staff of Magi, Spear of Piersing and bracers of defence AC4.
Result:
Depending on memoriced spells.
Either:
A Mage with Incredible hitpoints, able to defendheself thanks to the kensai AC bonus and able to attack as well.
or:
An allmost invulnerable fighter thanks to stonskin, mantel, spellturning etc, with a few tricks up her arm, all from magic missile to disturb hostile mages to Khelbens warding whip to get through tuff defences.
Exellent character with no greater weaknesses i can discern.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:55 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

still dont make sence no matter how powerfull it is,if you people dont rember,this is a DND game,and DND is a RPING game,thus you are supouse to roll paly your chars even if it isnt required,and if you wear Rping the is no way you could be a Kensai/Mage
Old 05-07-2001, 02:57 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Why not? That makes no sense... Explain.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-07-2001, 04:24 PM   #5
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

It depends. For pen & paper RPG´s, I would also play a char with reasonable abilities. But since BG2 is still a PC game and you´re supposed to have fun with it, there is no point why one should not take advantage of the possibilities offered. By the way, I´d never do this, myself cause there are ways to handle the game in other, more sincere ways(Swashbucklers and Jesters just rule).

YOINK!---Got yer nose!
Old 05-07-2001, 05:24 PM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Throntar,did you not read my first post?

and Debiler there is still ways you can have and still be realistic
Old 05-07-2001, 08:28 PM   #7
Halbred
The Magister

not eveyone who plays RPG games necessarily have the need to be immersed in the gaming environment/world that the rest of us to. i for one go for realism, and try to keep the game as believeable as possible. everyone has the right to theri playing style, no matter how bizarre or contradictory they may seem
Old 05-08-2001, 04:05 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The classic powergaming vs. roleplaying question. Have fun trying to figure it all out, fellas.

------------------
Old 05-08-2001, 04:33 AM   #9
Halbred
The Magister

oh no memnoch is gonna start a debate with those words
Old 05-08-2001, 12:37 PM   #10
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

The first time I played through, I used the coveted Kensai/Mage. Even with the exp. cap, they are way too powerful, depending on what level you dual-class them. I dual-classed at level 12. My Kensai/Mage was a real liability when she could only use a staff or dagger; it was also very challenging as well. But, as soon as she hit level 13 as a mage and regained her Kensai abilities, it was waaaaaay too easy. I usually left my party in a safe spot and cleared out entire areas myself.

As for the role-playing aspect, I think it is conceivable. You are the child of a god. Imoen managed to learn the mage arts in quick order, why not the PC as well? You grew up in Candlekeep, studying in one of the largest libraries in Faerun. I think that it is a stretch, but not out of the realm of possiblity.