Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Bernardo
Manshoon

The fourth season of the new tv show "Enterprise" has started... Whoever watched the old Star Trek original series or the other Enterprise series knows how nice it can be!!! Does any of you watch this tv show??? what do you think of it??? I am crazy about it and advise you all to watch it!!! (we need to boost ratings if the series is to continue)... Anyway it is really good science fiction... If anyone is interested (I don't get paid by Paramount)
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Next Generation was cool. I liked the characters and the shows were nice to watch. You know, every episode some new anomaly to study, some new part of the galaxy to explore, 5 dominant races getting in and out of conflict every other episode or so. Wow! There are the Borg again! Waaaaasssuuuuuupppppp!!! There even was some character development, can you believe it? Yup, I enjoyed watching that show from beginning till ending and speaking of ending, I really liked the temporal paradox in the last two episodes with Q, another cool conjuration from Rodenberry's mind.

And then... Deep Space Lame. Soap opera's in space. Even the Dominion wasn't as cool IMO. The large spaceship battles were OK. But Sisko before he turned bad-ass was just not so appealing. I never really got into that show, that weird liquid security officer who was as stiff as ... well .... a stiff. Some episodes were cool, like the one with the oracle(?) and the constant asking of What is this? Reminded me of Barry from Resident Evil.

After that, Voyager! Further into the future, always good since that's why we're watching isn't it? *ZANG* Bloody hell! We're rocketeerd into a completely unknown part of the galaxy! Help! From that point on, the show becomes too convenient. Every alien race has a spaceship that's just a teeny bit stronger than voyager and every one has a universal translater. Well, I missed being in Federation airpsace, I missed the Klingon and the Ferenhi and the Cardassians. Oh wait, there are Cardassians here too! Great! Voyager did show off some keen CGI and battles and the Borg are just plain cool. Unimatrix, 38.6 of 92 divided by 7^44 (aka Annika Hansen) and some nice storytelling did make up for all the convenience in the end, still, not my fav show.

Now Enterprise, biggest dissappointment: they went BACK into time! Who cares! If I wanna know what it's like in this time, I go out into the city! I wanna see stuff in the future! *Goa* Anways, I don't like the crew, except for Jolene Blalock & Linda Park ( ) [img]tongue.gif[/img] I might watch the show entirely when they start with season 6, so I can follow up and watch it straight through til the end.

All movies from Star Trek rule!

My $32,95
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

TNG: Rules. Nothing more to say.
DS9: My favorite, I really loved it.
VOY: Great show, but still not as good as the two above.
ENT: Subpar, by my standards. Especially when they change history.
Oh, and Annika Hansen is Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And about the translator, as long as one end is equipped with one, they can talk. Yeah, I'm quite a trekkie.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I really became one when Star Trek Birth of the Federation came out for the PC! Awesome, except too bad for the damn memory leak
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Star Trek can't even hold a candle to the greatness that was Babylon-5 and Farscape - at least these shows dared to show some risk and initiative throughout their respective runs, something you can't really say for the bulk of the Star Trek material out there - especially Voyager was terrible in that respect (DS9's Dominion War was quite good, though).
That said, Enterprise is okay, mostly thanks the 3rd and currently running 4th season. A lot better than Voyager, anyway - and I can't even stand to watch most of the TNG-episodes nowadays. Then again, I'm not much of a Trekkie...
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Ah, I knew I said something similar before. Note that my opinion of Enterprise has become slightly more positive lately.

Quote:
The main problem with the entire Star Trek series is that they don't take any risks - at some point, they'd decided to avoid any chance that missing one episode involved a chance that the casual viewer wouldn't be able to familiarise him/herself with any changes in characters or situations (I mean, season cliffhangers aside, how many multi-episode storylines do we ever really get with Voyager or Enterprise? How many epic changes do we get on a season-per-season basis?). It's what makes it a perfect series for someone who only tunes in every now and then, but for someone who tries to keep up with it, it's simply one disappointing cliche episode after another, up to a point that it's no use watching it anymore. And whenever a character "dies", ends up in a life-threatening situation or another timeline altogether, or undergoes serious mental or physical changes in an episode, you just *know* that the character will be back to normal at the end of the 40 minute runtime of it - and that's in my opinion one of the ST franchise's biggest weaknesses, the lack of risk taking.
Enterprise mostly strikes me as an attempt to place the characters in completely impossible situations in the first two minutes, only to come up with even more farfetched explanations as to the "why" and "how" of those situations. Sure, it's still an interesting show to watch, but definitely not to watch many reruns of; every time I see a rerun of Voyager, ST:TNG or early Deep Space Nine, most of the time it takes only a few minutes to recognise the entire episode, plot development and plot line all at once, and all it does is make me reach for the remote to change the channel.

Sure, at the other side of the spectrum, shows like Earth: Final Conflict, Farscape and Babylon 5 made it very hard to keep up whenever you missed a single episode, but I take those any day over *any* Star Trek series or movies, if only for the occasional mindf**k with actual consequences. And, for better or for worse, they have the guts to kill off characters or sometimes even change the entire cast (E:FC), which are gambles that could work (like in season 2-4 of E:FC), or ruin the entire show altogether (season 5 of E:FC) - but at least they're taking risks, and that's a lot more than you can say of most of the Star Trek series (bar perhaps the later episodes of DS9, with the Dominion War).
Also see this topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-11-2005, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Enterprise is very good. I missed it on Friday 'cos I went to a Hockey game. I liked Next Gen. DS9 was pretty good, but I found Voyager a big let down. They had a great opertunity for new races and it was just the same old sh!t. The capt'n sucked too. Jeri Ryan kept me watching though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Enterprise has gotten a LOT better this past year-- except for the Nazi aliens.. THAT made me roll my eyes. Doesn't every trek series put aliens into Nazi uniforms? Voyager had the Hunters in them, TNG had them, and DS9? Dunno.

The only trek sets on DVD I Have are both DS9. You can tell which I like best. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have seasons 2 and 7. Season 7 was awesome, and had some of the largest space battles in trek history.

Damn DVD sets are like $109 a PIECE, so we may have the entire set by 2020.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I think Enterprise really picked up. The first season was a bit slow, the second had some really great episodes in it and the one with the attack on Earth and (finally!) some weapon upgrades for the Enterprise really moved things along. I would recommend it, although unfortunately it never seems to be on in the UK

TNG - just pure excellence - Star Trek as close to the original vision as you can get imo. And Patrick Stewart really is outstanding, especially in the latter half.

DS9 - Good, really picks up from Season 4 with Way of the Warrior and the introduction of Worf.

Voyager - Well, I enjoyed it. Got better towards the end (dont' they all ), the Borg were excellent, the crew got progressively less annoying. The last episode in particular was one of the best Star Trek double eps full stop.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I started watching DS9 from Episode 1, then it couldn't keep my interest, ok it's a space station, so they don't really go anywhere or do anything cool... wasn't enough trek-like to hold my attention, then Worf came on, and my interest piqued enough for me to try it again, and I discovered a really good show (I've got friends who say worf was the worst thing that happened to the show, but I disagree, I think killing Jedzia Dax was the worst, but at least it was ballsie)

I loved TNG, and TOS, (mostly TNG after season one when it stopped trying to be TOS)

I hated Janeway too much to make voyager watchable (I sat through a couple episodes with friends, but would much rather have been watching Buffy)

Enterprise strikes me as an interesting show, but they hit the rewind button too much, when they realise that something in the story might cause real character growth, kill off a member of the crew, or just be daring, they back off and use any available deus ex machina to set things back season 3 was one of the worst perpetrators of this of any show I've seen, and is likely the reason they lost their timeslot on wednesdays (and had to drop their price to have UPN continue to run the show)

Sadly I think what may have been a great series will be destroyed by the terrible writing of the first few seasons (which will have turned off enough people that it won't be back for 5, or 6)