Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 04:34 PM   #41
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

I did not accuse him of anything that I did not also accuse myself of.
I know, but if I were tell you that just like me, you're a total idiot who shouldn't be allowed to even be on this planet. I'm still attacking you I'm I not. That's why I believe that apologies are in order... because of the attack (BTW: I do think that, just like Yorick, you're a very intelligent man who does deserve be on this planet )

Just including yourself into one group doesn't give you the excuse or the right to include others who might be hurt by the association (I know, I've done the same mistake before).

Food for thought

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-23-2001, 04:34 PM   #42
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
What concerns me, Cloudy, is the posts where it has been implied by Ziroc himself, Sazerac, and some other members that this forum is going to soon get the axe.

I think the popularity of this forum, as evidenced by the sheer volume of posts in it, says a lot about how much some of us happen to want to keep it.

I would respectfully ask that those of you who do not approve of it, who continue to imply that it is nothing but a "toilet bowl" would have the basic courtesy to allow those of us who want to participate in it to be able to continue to do so.

Many of you who keep talking about the importance of courtesy and respect for others openly disregard what you yourselves are saying when it comes to talking about the people who happen to like the existence of this forum. Some of the grossest insults I have seen have been in general terms directed at the people who happen to like to come here.

Look, don't axe the forum. If you want to strictly enforce rules of decorum, by all means do so.
Now was that really necessary? It's comments like this that really irritate me. I fight to keep this damn forum OPEN after it upsets the daylights out of me enough to LEAVE the whole place and you come in here and accuse people like me who CARE about how ALL of us feel of being hypocrites?!!! Dio, you do know how to push my buttons.. and that's a fact.

I participate here, Dio, so I'm on both sides of that fence.

Sheer volume of posts does not necessarily indicate popularity. It may indicate a small number of verbose posters.

As for it getting the axe. Well let us ponder that, shall we counselor?

Ziroc owns the board. Ziroc sees that some posts are inflammatory and he's losing longtime valued members as well as having some like Epona and Reeka (to name a few who have posted about it in GD), who like serious discussions but are hesitant to post here because of the general angry or insulting atmosphere they see. Mods are working overtime to try and keep the place from going up in flames and one has had so much strain he won't even read this forum any more, leaving it to Z and Mems to cover the very active postings now. If I were Ziroc.. hmm. yes I'd consider dumping this out the airlock too! I hope he doesn't do that. I am advocating tighter control on our own posts- as in self-control on ALL sides but if that is not achieved, he's not left with much choice. Either leave the thing as a free-for all or shut it down. So in my opinion, those who love this forum should just take a second look at all their posts before hitting submit.

Ok, going home now! It's past quitting time for me.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-23-2001, 04:35 PM   #43
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Phil, I am gaining more and more respect for you by the day and with every post.

This is one reason I don't point fingers and name names.. it would degenerate into a 'debate' over whether or not a specific comment was or was not inflammatory!
I am an intelligent 41 yr old woman with plenty of life experience, if you think I can't tell when someone is flamed, baited or insulted, you insult me all over again! LOL!

CB

Don't you think that general accusations about how this place is a "toilet boil" and repeated references to "troublemakers" who you merrily insult by innuendo is also inflammatory? Don't you think that is extremely insulting to those of us who happen to like to come here?

Repeatedly making vague references about such things, and then hiding behind a professed reluctance to insult people, is insulting in itself. Have the decency to put your money where your mouth is, instead of leaving any and everyone who happens to like to come here with the impression that you are talking about them.

Old 10-23-2001, 04:44 PM   #44
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Now was that really necessary? It's comments like this that really irritate me. I fight to keep this damn forum OPEN after it upsets the daylights out of me enough to LEAVE the whole place and you come in here and accuse people like me who CARE about how ALL of us feel of being hypocrites?!!! Dio, you do know how to push my buttons.. and that's a fact.

So in my opinion, those who love this forum should just take a second look at all their posts before hitting submit.

As for the first quoted paragraph, you are apparently not reading what I am actually saying.

As for the second, I happen to agree with you.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:44 PM   #45
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
What concerns me, Cloudy, is the posts where it has been implied by Ziroc himself, Sazerac, and some other members that this forum is going to soon get the axe.

I think the popularity of this forum, as evidenced by the sheer volume of posts in it, says a lot about how much some of us happen to want to keep it.

I would respectfully ask that those of you who do not approve of it, who continue to imply that it is nothing but a "toilet bowl" would have the basic courtesy to allow those of us who want to participate in it to be able to continue to do so.

Many of you who keep talking about the importance of courtesy and respect for others openly disregard what you yourselves are saying when it comes to talking about the people who happen to like the existence of this forum. Some of the grossest insults I have seen have been in general terms directed at the people who happen to like to come here.

Look, don't axe the forum. If you want to strictly enforce rules of decorum, by all means do so.

First of all, this is a TEMPORARY forum. Hell, it's underlined in the titled . That means that it will eventually be deleted. Now the when I fear is dictated by the members who post here. As long as people are civil to one another, I think that Ziroc will let it go as long as he sees fit (so long as we don't all come to agree with Bin... not that I think that any of us would). However, should we once again start loosing members because of personnal attacks, I wouldn't be surprised if Z pulled the plug. And you know what, I'd support him. Sharing opinions and debating his very nice, but I would rather we don't loose many members in the process.

Cloudy, thanks dear. I'm only a 27 year old man (though my wife wonders if I'm really past 2) trying is best to learn about maturity and keep things civil.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-23-2001, 04:46 PM   #46
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

OK guys, tone down. It's starting to become a bit to personnal and insults are about to be flying here and there more overtly than they are now.

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 05:00 PM   #47
Garnet

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
[B] Sorry Ryanamur, that was sort of a joke........ Only sort of though.

The thinking behind my post goes a bit like this..... 'I wonder if all the people classed as mongrels and bullys are anti-war, non-christian?' That's basically where I am coming from, in a 'questioning cheetah' sort of mood, you see.........

Lovely Cheetah,

The only place I've seen the term 'mongrel' is in Skywalker's post at GD, and I took it to his referring to himself as someone who didn't always fit into 'polite' society--seemingly doesn't fit in with the rest of IW. Since I also tend to not be as politically correct as a lot of others, I also used the term 'mongrel'. I think the major difference is that not 'fitting in' here really bothers him--it doesn't me since this is a wonderfully bubbling pot of humanity where everyone *is* different and thus the flavor is *sublime*. Truly that's what attracted me: all these many different individuals coming together to discuss everything from who won the soccer game to terrorism to their kids to absolute non-sensical tidbits!

We are *ALL* right in our views, feelings and assertions!!! Yes, tempers flare, words are penned better left unsaid, and feelings are hurt. But that also happens in families. Ex. There's a long-standing tradition in my family--we talk avidly about politics (read that as animatedly debate) yet we do *NOT* discuss our religious beliefs (--much). We vary ::shrug:: Yet there are times comments are made, usually in innocent error, which malign my beliefs. I have a choice to 1) rail at the perpetrator 2) quietly correct the misassumption or 3) remove myself from the situation by either leaving the room or the premises. Generally I choose #2 though I have been known to choose either or both of the others!

I believe this is what several others are saying in regards to this particular forum.

I may not agree with what (the generic) you say or believe, but you can be damned sure that at the end of the day, I'm still defending your right to say it! (While, of course, trying to sway you to my way of thinking)

Garnet

Old 10-23-2001, 05:07 PM   #48
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

[quote]Originally posted by Garnet:
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
The only place I've seen the term 'mongrel' is in Skywalker's post at GD, and I took it to his referring to himself as someone who didn't always fit into 'polite' society--seemingly doesn't fit in with the rest of IW.
Skywalker used that term because others have been using it, and not in the way you assume. Here is an example, taken from page 3 of the "international insults" thread:

Ziroc ! I have had a discussion last night with Clouddy and another with Yorick, and I'm starting to get real angry now. We are stalked by a few mongrels who snap at us and try to bully us for the sake of fighting. As far as I am concerned, no way this is going to happen in my IW !"

Old 10-23-2001, 05:10 PM   #49
Garnet

BTW, I am non-Christian in my beliefs (though I believe in the basic tenets and was brought up Southern Baptist) but no way am I anti-war! I'm simply anti-uninformed-comments.

No, no, I can hear the hairs bristling now!!! In no way am I pointing fingers--it really was a generic comment and I won't edit it out. I have learned a great deal from those on this forum and GD and I'd like to think someone may have learned some *tiny* amount of *something* from me. This is how it should be. But there are individuals in my RL who are so bull-headed and head-blind that their own arrogance precludes learning anything at all--no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary! Think of the "all Muslims are terrorists" bullshit that gets bandied about. It's the product of uninformed minds.

Ok, back to the shadows.

Garnet

Old 10-23-2001, 05:17 PM   #50
Garnet

Quote:
Skywalker used that term because others have been using it, and not in the way you assume. Here is an example, taken from page 3 of the "international insults" thread:

Ziroc ! I have had a discussion last night with Clouddy and another with Yorick, and I'm starting to get real angry now. We are stalked by a few mongrels who snap at us and try to bully us for the sake of fighting. As far as I am concerned, no way this is going to happen in my IW !"

I missed that--don't read all the threads. But I don't think I've misinterpreted his (Skywalker's) usage too far off, have I? I certainly do *NOT* consider myself the type of 'mongrel' listed above!!! No, no, no!

I shall hereby terminate all affiliation with mongrels--I always was a cat person anyhow

Can anybody tell me why the counter on posts doesn't seem to be working properly? Whenever I post, the count seems to be duplicated.

Garnet

Closed Thread